PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I really do enjoy making these things and trying different things out. I like having projects to work on at home as it relaxes me and takes my mind off work, so I went to Woodcraft this weekend with the idea of buying some Walnut wood to make a new pipe rack from and using other natural woods and trim for contrast, but the Walnut was going for around $17.90 per board foot.
After making my calculations I felt good about needing around 5.0 board foot to make another pipe rack, just a little smaller than my last one. That would have come in around $90 for my material, plus around $20 for hardware. It was a little more than I bargained for, especially considering they won't cut down any boards they have, and to get one large enough to cut out the pieces I required I would have had to buy around 8 board feet, which was about $145 for the board.
Then I found this:
20181110_114709-337x600.jpg

That's Ambrosia Maple (with worm holes). It's quite beautiful and coming in at about $4.20 per board foot, much more within reason. I came away with enough board feet to make my pipe rack, but no extra if I make any uh ohs, so it's no uh-oh time. I got all the pieces out of it I needed and had one slab to spare for all the trim/accent pieces I needed, but I lost some material having to square up the boards. They were close, but had a few curves in places I didn't need.
I also discovered why I needed to square off the bottom of my last one to make it sit flat....my chop saw is not cutting a square edge anymore. I borrowed it from my Dad a few years ago and he told me to keep it, but in all my rough work, a nice square edge on the end wasn't completely necessary. I wondered why I had to tweak, twist and square cut edges on my last rack, and that's why. It's about 1 degree off while sitting at 0 degrees, just enough to really screw with fine cabinet work. So now I have to account for that in all my cuts until I can afford a new one.
Additionally, this one created a few setbacks for me as it's a hardwood and kept shearing my screws when I would get it almost tight. Had to go buy screws meant for hardwood and man they work great!
I'm planning to leave this one natural and not stain it, except for a trim piece or two for the contrast. I currently have the sides and shelves and pegs in it and need to perform a good sanding this evening, but this is where she's at right now, and I'll update as I progress through to the final product:
20181111_172938-483x600.jpg

20181111_223839-433x600.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Cool. Nice work.
I assume ambrosia wood is from trees that have had ambrosia beetles burrow into them? Cool life history of those beetles. They burrow into wood and cultivate fungus in the burrows which is what they get all of their nutrition from. It's a neat little symbiosis.
At any rate strong work. I've always been a little bit envious of people with solid cabinetry skills.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! I was really shocked by the wood itself, having never heard of it or seen it before. You're right, I had to look it up, that is very interesting how that happens. Thought it was an actual species, but it's actually just because of the beetles themselves. From The Wood Database:
Much like Spalted Maple and other forms of figured maple, Ambrosia Maple is technically not a specific species of Maple, but rather a general description of any type of Maple that has been infested by ambrosia beetles. The beetles bore into the tree, and with it bring fungus that discolors the wood.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Man! This looks like it's going to be a beaut when finished too! :clap:
Hoping so! It sure is a beautiful wood. Probably going to leave it natural so it can show off all the splendor in that grain.
Very sturdy and looks smart. The long hinge tells me there's more to come.
Indeed there is, dot, indeed there is! I have a nice slab of this wood laying there at home waiting for me to cut and sand down for a door that will connect to that hinge.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Canadian pipe manufacturer Brigham uses Maple inserts in their pipes, so I find it appropriate that you use Maple for a pipe rack. Now you'll need at least one Brigham mounted on the rack and a box of Rock Maple inserts tucked away below. I recommend an Estate over new.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Good job CCW...it's going to be a beauty. Did you change the design from your last rack? It looks like you might of put in a groove/channel for the bowls.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I did change the design slightly just to see how things work. Each one I make is going to likely be a little different. Just want to try different things out as I go along to see how they turn out. Might not really ever make two the same, unless I get a lot of the same wood in enough of a quantity to build more than one. So far, I've just been buying enough to make one at a time.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Very nice! Here I am looking for a little 8 or 9 pipe rack to put on my work shelf, and you just go and make that whole piece. The wood looks very nice and it looks solid.
Thanks Mike! Yeah, I wanted something that could also hold the tobaccos in a little cabinet beneath the pipes. That way you can keep a nice selection of stuff to smoke at the office as well. This one I think will be able to hold 2 rows deep, stacked 2 jars high if you use the smaller 4 ounce jelly jars. Of course, you could use it for whatever size jars/tins that will fit. The inside box dimensions on this one measure about 12-3/4" wide, 6" tall and 6" deep. I like the idea of using the smaller jelly jars at the office, while keeping the larger source jars at home on the top shelf of my pantry. The first one I built was large enough for 3 jars deep, 2 jars tall, and about 5 jars wide, but I also have tins I keep in there along with a few accessories.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I like that a lot. Excellent work.
Thanks! I like it too!
Really nice. I miss having a woodcraft near me.
Yeah, they're really nice to have in the area for wood. Hardware and stuff should not be bought there. I can buy the same hinge at Lowes or Home Depot for about $4. They sell it for $10.
Nice work and good choice on the wood (and price!).
Thanks Al! I really liked it and for the price it was hard to turn down.
Have you decided on your stain yet?
I have not. I have been struggling with whether to even stain it or just use a lacquer. It's such a gorgeous wood on its own that I'd hate to ruin it with a stain. If I do though, I'm thinking something very light and staining my accent piece a darker color. I just don't want to use anything that will take away from the distinctiveness of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.