SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
OK, almost all lovers of a book whether it be a single volume or a series, will agree that most of the time the movie/video version never satisfies. There is always too much to fit in or too many things to fit in a limited screen-time event. This is generally a given and it's also a given that fans of the book will bitch about it loudly. That said...

Damn, the Amazon adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" truly disappointed me. The departures from the story were, in my opinion, not necessary or helpful to audience interest. It also was quite full of unnecessary CGI while missing out on the opportunities that good CGI could have afforded the story. Admittedly, I'm only two episodes in but it missed the boat where story craft is concerned and departed enough from the original story that it won't allow some of the greatest characters to evolve to the point they did in the books. The original story afforded so much possibility and so many rich storylines that changing them serves no practical purpose.

So that I don't go on too long, here is the crux of what would have been my rant. "Grrr! I'm old and the book was better than the movie!!!"

Reactions: shanez

North Pole piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2021
Rural, Manitoba Canada.
OK, almost all lovers of a book whether it be a single volume or a series, will agree that most of the time the movie/video version never satisfies. There is always too much to fit in or too many things to fit in a limited screen-time event. This is generally a given and it's also a given that fans of the book will bitch about it loudly. That said...

Damn, the Amazon adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" truly disappointed me. The departures from the story were, in my opinion, not necessary or helpful to audience interest. It also was quite full of unnecessary CGI while missing out on the opportunities that good CGI could have afforded the story. Admittedly, I'm only two episodes in but it missed the boat where story craft is concerned and departed enough from the original story that it won't allow some of the greatest characters to evolve to the point they did in the books. The original story afforded so much possibility and so many rich storylines that changing them serves no practical purpose.

So that I don't go on too long, here is the crux of what would have been my rant. "Grrr! I'm old and the book was better than the movie!!!"
They butchered it, but I’m not surprised. 99% of television programming today is just complete garbage. What worries me is Amazon is doing LOTR next. What’s that going to look like considering WOT series is ?.

Reactions: captainsousie

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Damn, the Amazon adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" truly disappointed me. The departures from the story were, in my opinion, not necessary or helpful to audience interest. The original story afforded so much possibility and so many rich storylines that changing them serves no practical purpose.
These are my thoughts exactly. In this instance, following the book not only would have been easier to produce, film, etc., but much, much more entertaining.

Start the first episode, right off the bat, with rand catching a glimpse of the dark character in the shadows. What a way to start the series. Then head into town, lowly merchants, and introduce the characters, just like the book, at the inn, and you're off and running and have people hooked with easy and quick character intro/development.

Scenes like rand running through the woods into town, carrying his dad, being pursued by the bad guys is an example of an easy way where the book already gave you something exciting between character development and plot-forwarding. You'd have everyone on their seats, a la early game of thrones, feeling like, "oh crap are they willing to kill off characters already?".

Like you I guess I should just end the ranting. I didn't want to complain, I waited and wanted to like it. Just very disappointed.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I loved the WOT series, and my wife and I have talked for years about how cool it would be as a series...I generally go in to these things prepared for disappointment though, so will keep my hopes at a 4/10 when I do get to viewing this!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Name me one movie/tv show adaptation that has actually come close to following the book.

I'll wait.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Name me one movie/tv show adaptation that has actually come close to following the book.

I'll wait.
They're totally different mediums for storytelling, let them have their space to do what each does well.

The problem here is the urge to adapt movies from books instead of exploring and rewarding people who use film to tell original, cinematic stories.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Haven't read the books so I don't have any bias. I've been watching WoT and haven't made a decision as to it's entertainment value just yet. It is difficult to be a fan of a book or series and not be critical of screen adaptations. I feel the same way about The Walking Dead having been a fan of the comic book before the TV series.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I'm curious, I've never read the books but I think I'm going to start to read them.

Somehow a film or series always disappoints when you have read the books. I think it also depends on how much of a purist you are. If you are a reader and you like a certain genre a movie or series will disappoint a lot of times.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I'm curious, I've never read the books but I think I'm going to start to read them.

Somehow a film or series always disappoints when you have read the books. I think it also depends on how much of a purist you are. If you are a reader and you like a certain genre a movie or series will disappoint a lot of times.
That's a serious commitment. The series is 14, thousand-page books, plus a coupla prequels and andenda. I envy you if you can make that much time for reading.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
That's a serious commitment. The series is 14, thousand-page books, plus a coupla prequels and andenda. I envy you if you can make that much time for reading.
A was a avid reader in my "younger" years (12 till about 25), not that I'm old... Now I get a bit more time on my hands with the kids to school and I work mostly nights or weekends... Red some complete fantasy, I liked the sword of truth series of Terry Goodkind the most.

Didn’t read the book. Hell, didn't even realize it was based on a book. Trying to get into it, but I just haven’t caught the drift.

I’m not sure whether I like when a movie follows a book or gives us a new story altogether. But, I think I prefer when I don’t know whether it’s a book or not, and I’m a voracious reader.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
A was a avid reader in my "younger" years (12 till about 25), not that I'm old... Now I get a bit more time on my hands with the kids to school and I work mostly nights or weekends... Red some complete fantasy, I liked the sword of truth series of Terry Goodkind the most.
My wife is more fantasy and I am more sci-fi, but we both agree that Brandon Sanderson's "Storm light Archive" is the best stuff.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
My wife is more fantasy and I am more sci-fi, but we both agree that Brandon Sanderson's "Storm light Archive" is the best stuff.
Never really got into scifi, as I also generally don't like to watch scifi in films or series. Ive heard of those series, but i didn't read that fanaticly then when it was released. If this series will contain 14 books and the first 4 were written in 10 years I think I can finish WOT first and then start that complete series.