PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
OK, almost all lovers of a book whether it be a single volume or a series, will agree that most of the time the movie/video version never satisfies. There is always too much to fit in or too many things to fit in a limited screen-time event. This is generally a given and it's also a given that fans of the book will bitch about it loudly. That said...

Damn, the Amazon adaptation of "The Wheel of Time" truly disappointed me. The departures from the story were, in my opinion, not necessary or helpful to audience interest. It also was quite full of unnecessary CGI while missing out on the opportunities that good CGI could have afforded the story. Admittedly, I'm only two episodes in but it missed the boat where story craft is concerned and departed enough from the original story that it won't allow some of the greatest characters to evolve to the point they did in the books. The original story afforded so much possibility and so many rich storylines that changing them serves no practical purpose.

So that I don't go on too long, here is the crux of what would have been my rant. "Grrr! I'm old and the book was better than the movie!!!"
I would bet that the too many chefs effect got it. It takes a lot of people to make a show or movie. A lot. Including people who put the money up for it. It's hard to argue with them. Even though honestly it shouldn't be. (If you don't believe in our vision then why are you put your money into this?)

Reactions: captainsousie

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A was a avid reader in my "younger" years (12 till about 25), not that I'm old... Now I get a bit more time on my hands with the kids to school and I work mostly nights or weekends... Red some complete fantasy, I liked the sword of truth series of Terry Goodkind the most.
I know. I have to admit if I ever get dumped a little part of me is going to scream "yay we can finally spend our free time on books and video games yes", more of me will be saying oh darn this bites.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I know. I have to admit if I ever get dumped a little part of me is going to scream "yay we can finally spend our free time on books and video games yes", more of me will be saying oh darn this bites.
Haha I would be darned even more! She would enjoy the moments of silence, just sitting on the couch, no electric appliances or phones. To bad shes a Jill Mansell fan, so no quality reading for her ?. A fantasy book is not something she would read, although she love fantasy movies or series.

Reactions: anotherbob

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Ten minutes in and I'm looking at all the Nancy boys working in the tavern and I'm like, ok, I see what you're doing and I'll accept it, but then buddy goes to visit his teenie tiny little blacksmith woman pulling overtime, and I'm like nah, go brainwash Karen and Chad's kids, thank you.

Reactions: retrogrouch

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Name me one movie/tv show adaptation that has actually come close to following the book.

I'll wait.

(Rita Hayworth and the) Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me (The Body)

Both Stephen King films that, to me, knocked it out of the park.

The books were better, natch.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
(Rita Hayworth and the) Shawshank Redemption
Stand By Me (The Body)

Both Stephen King films that, to me, knocked it out of the park.

The books were better, natch.
Which proves it can be done.

I'll actually give you another example of "close but no cigar."
"The Finest Hours" (2016 movie starring Chris Pine) based on the a daring rescue of the crew from a tanker during a blizzard during 1952. Not only was this a true story that actually happened, but it was about 80 percent accurate. The inaccuracies mainly dealt with the story line in the movie of the Pine character's being engaged and his girlfriend confronting his Commanding Officer about sending him out. Bernie Webber was married when the case actually happened and his wife was home sick and didn't know about the rescue until two or three days later.