PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Let's be tactful and say that fact came from the same place my wife says most of my other facts do

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A stack or a chimney? I think it is kind of in a class by itself, an other-worldly billiard. You just don't see a pipe with a shank and stem that thin that last more than a week or that draw worth a damn, which I can sense this one does. This is what the Bing pipes dream about being. That's quite an astonishing finish for such a lithe pipe too. Altogether a vision. I'll bid $60. I'm ashamed of myself. Only peck can say that stuff.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi George,
That's an awesome Barling. It's post WW2. Check the underside of the stem, near where it meets the shank. if if says Barling Design then it's 1950 - 1962, and probably 1950 - 1956. If there's a REG'd number, then it's 1947 - 1950.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Jesse, the base of the stem has the following faint but crisp stamp:
Made for Jesse the Bard by BB&sons TVF Forever!
Just what the brand needs... another mystery. Now we've got time travel to explain. 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That blast resembles a Shell Briar. Is that by method or density of a given block?

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
It's a damn sexy pipe. Aside from that insight, I got nuthin'.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It is gorgeous. Reminds me of some of those works of art Scottie Piersel makes.
It does resemble one of Scottie's pipes!
Did Barling give a name to that shape?
It looks like a Billiard curvet with a pencil shank. Unfortunately, by 1962 this shape was no longer in the line up so I don't have a reference for this model number.
That blast resembles a Shell Briar. Is that by method or density of a given block?
No way to know, other than it's a great sandblast. Even with the amount of wear, such that the red under stain has become fairly prominent (new these were black with the red under stain coming through as the pipe aged and the black top stain wore down) the blast remains nice and craggy.
The early Barling blasts were very deep and craggy. Here's a WW II era example:
Cf4wdX6.jpg

r83tygv.jpg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Elegant is the word that comes to mind. Funny, I too thought of Scottie Peirsall’s pipes when I saw this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.