PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
I have 3 years smoking pipes, but I still consider myself as a new guy to the hobby. So here is my new guy question: is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to much? I want to hear from you guys about it and how many times you smoke a day. Thanks :?:

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization and Spelling Error in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke a bowl a day, with some days off, and sometimes I smoke several bowls on a weekend day. Moderation is good, for me. Our star reviewer and high scoring poster jiminks must smoke about twenty bowls a day. It depends on you. I find I get more taste from each bowl with fewer bowls, and my consumption fits my available time and smoking style. Weigh your own assessment of health risks, your own habits, and your own tastes. If smoking that much worries you, taper down a little and see how that works. If you are enjoying the amount you smoke, maybe that's where you want to be.

I was smoking 12+ bowls a day, till this summer. Then I tried to back off to six a day, but I kept getting bigger and bigger pipes. I am at six a day now, and it is tough. I have been throwing in a few cigars a day as well, but... ultimately, I have got to get my nicotine rage under control. I can go weeks without my pipe with no weirdnesses, but when I have had my first pipe of the day, going any length of time without a pipe in my clench feel weird, like not wearing my pants or not having hair or a beard.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I'm a 1 or 2 a day guy, with some days off a week. But it doesnt matter, Mine is mostly based on time and availability to do it. I used to be at 8 to 10 a day. Never thought it was too much. A pipe lasts me almost an hour on average, so 2 fits right about into my schedule. All up to you, as long as it doesnt get in the way and isnt causing any health or social issues, its fine as far as I see it.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I try to limit to 1 a day...

5323157662e6d9ade0413fc8a1bac0b0.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Once a week. Sometimes twice. I'm one of those paranoid about cancer guys.
Yes, I know, no significant risk, live longer than non-smokers, etc. etc.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I'm down to 1-2 bowls a week from 4-5 a week. Am I smoking too little? I don't think so. My cellar will last longer. :D
Seriously, I cut back because it's just too hot. I'm just not in the mood with the heat and humidity. Also, I never smoke inside the house and my smoking porch/room doesn't have AC.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
'Too much' is subjective. I will say that, based on what I know about forum members here, you're well on the high side for consumption, even among people who like pipe smoking so much they spend hours of their lives talking about it online. Take that for what you will.
Personally, I smoke about 3-4 bowls a week when the weather is good, and less in late summer (I think I've had three bowls total in the last 30 days).

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Two to five per day is my usual range. Only you can decide what fits your needs.
Some days, I can tell after a smoke that it's time to quit for the day. Other days, I hop care free from one pipe to the next.
Listen to your mind and body. MTFBWY.
jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: UncleRasta

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to(o) much?
Yes. Smoking anything at all is too much. It's lavish. It's just for fun. Do what you will. Is it impressive? Not to some guys around here. Frankly, I'm impressed how you have the time. You must have a uniquely preferable smoking situation at your convenience. Maybe I'm just cranky about the summer heat. This isn't a question anybody else can answer for you.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Used to be one bowl per day but now I am down to 2 bowls per week. Keeping the tobacco from overheating really enhances the sweet flavor of tobacco. I guess I am just really starting to understand the real joy of delayed gratifications :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
is smoking 8 to 12 bowls a day to much?
As others have said, that's entirely up to you. But it does also depend on how large your tobacco budget is. If you want to keep up that pace (especially if when tobacco becomes hard to obtain unavailable) you're going to need a huge cellar.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I've never been one to tell someone else how to live their life, the individual knows best how to live it. But, I'll echo to add what others have said, it's only too much if you feel like it's too much. But that being said, if I put on my psychology hat, the fact that you are asking if it's to much means that you have questioning doubts and think you might be over doing it. If that is the case then there is no harm in cutting back by a few bowls. For me, personally when/if on the rare occasion I hit 6-7 bowls in a day, I feel like I over did it. But then again, my bowls tend to last 1-1 and a half hours so if I'm hitting 7 bowls a day that means from the time I woke up till the time I fall asleep I have a pipe in my mouth. Which there isnt anything wrong with, but my mouth will let me know I should have stopped a few bowls ealier. If, you are asking for a medical opinion, you are well past heavy smoker territory, and the risks associated with smoking greatly increase once you pass the 2-3 bowls a day threshold. But, to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.