Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Please don't take the title of this post too seriously. Although, I took a race down to my local B&M today and was determined to buy a VaPer. Top of the "to-try" list in that category for me were S&G's Cabbie's Mixture and Peterson's (formerly Dunhill) Elizabethan Mixture.
Since today I also bought a tin of Peterson's (formerly Dunhill... <sigh>) My mixture 965, I decided to go with the cabbie's mix to mix it up a bit (accidental inescapable pun).
I've been anticipating trying this blend for a while now, and also a proper VaPer too. So I opened it up...
It smells like a barn. It seems like hay. But there is no denying... It smells like a bit like cow shit.

I am drying it at present, as it is quite damp imo. Aside from a twist (namely brown pigtail), which is (continuing with the S&G farm-life theme) a completely different animal, this is the first S&G blend I will have had.

Where does this smell come from? I'm not complaining btw. It's not overly offensive. Makes me a bit nostalgic tbh...
Can anyone shed (or barn ha ha) some light on where this cow smell comes from?

A more sophisticated piper might detect horse.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
It's totally wet barnyard hay and dung to me ha ha. More horse than cow when I think about it.
But yeah, I dried it for a good few hours, then eventually got impatient and put it on top of my laptop to help the drying along even more...
Packed the pipe I had decided to dedicate to VaPers (a lovely Lorenzo Stresa), and I'll tell you, I do not regret buying it today. I think I have a good'un. Could maybe have done with even more drying. Got a bit messy toward the bottom. But I recommend it alright. Sweet, citrussy and sharp. A refreshing smoke. If all VaPers are like this... I must get some more. Although I've heard cabbie's mix is supposed to be a particularly good one.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I don't really get it from SG Virginia's (which I smoke frequently), but the term "barnyard" is oft used to describe Cameroon wrapped cigars. I'm a fan of those in particular and I savor the barnyard element.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
cat pee and cow manure smells from tobacco can be attributed to fermentation. Most will tell you that the tobacco needs more time when you smell them. In the case of nasal snuff, I love it when snuff is ammonia-y and barnyard-y

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Wasn't there a thread on here about vinegar smell and St Bruno a year back? I've never smelt anything bad from any of the twists but I tend to jar them up for a few years. I have a few tins of XXX Black Twist kicking around and when I have finished up my latest group of open stuff I might give one of those a run and see how they smell.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Not that much difference between hay and tobacco. I grew up in the country and spent more than my fair share of time around farm animal dung. While I think some tobacco tastes like shit, I've yet to smell any that was similar. Hay or barnyard, yes. Animal shit, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.