PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
I'm drawn to rusticated and sandblasted finishes, which tend to be more affordable than smooth finishes, so that helps keep things relatively affordable.

I've pipes from artisans and large manufacturers, and the difference in the quality of performance is negligible. At a certain point you're paying for aesthetics, which is fine. But I am not paying several hundred, or thousands, of dollars for a knot of wood I can hold in my hand. I'm not a craftsman, so I can't speak to the effort and talent necessary to make these high-end pipes, but Christ on a Wednesday, I can buy a quality shed or dinette set for the price of some of these pipes.

My bottom dollar is around $250ish for a pipe, maybe a little more if it really catches my eye. But any more than that is hard to justify personally.

Reactions: kcghost and Jef

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Im sure the pipes I feel are expensive are not "Expensive Pipes". I cant see parting with 800 or 8000 on pipes. I really dont spend much more than 200. Since most are estates my pipes that average around 150 are those in the range of 3-400 new.

I stick to that budget pretty well as like KE says, I cant justfiy it. Also, I like to buy pipes and lastly, Ive tended to be thrifty most my life. My spending habbits afforded me to leave my main job in my early 50's and work part time from home crafting saxophone mouthpieces. I grew up with the idea that most of us are indentured servants and must buy our way out of the system. Stuff is fun but and has its place but freedom is much better.

Reactions: K.E. Powell