PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
It all depends on what one calls expensive. Perhaps the thread should have included that. I consider a 300 dollar pipe to be expensive but I know thats really mid range. I buy most of my Italian estates around 150 on average. I tend to draw the line at 200+ a bit for an estate by a carver. That leaves a lot of higher end pipes out.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Well yeah. I do the same thing. I have a 20 year old Yamaha V Star 1300 parked in front of my house. It's usually in the background of my posts in the WAYS threads. She's the result of dreaming about and window shopping Harley Davidson Dynas. I'm sure I can look through my house and find several other examples of-- there's another one! Jars of LBF which come in much more budget friendly than Escudo. I have a single pipe that I paid more than $130 to own new. That was a LE group buy and he took payments. If it were up to me my pipe rack would have a couple cobs, a meerschaum or two, and Dunhills of years important to me. Other than that, my more expensive pipes (that I paid retail) are a Brigham and a Comoy. Each of those set me back $125 plus tax. I have other more expensive pipes but they were gifts.

Pipes are tools for me. Others view them as the works of art I probably should. My hands tools and half of my power tools usually come second hand. Same with my pipes. And for the same reason.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Years ago I went on a pipe buying frenzy. Couldn't afford the "good stuff", but ended up with an ancient Kaywoodie, some Comoy, a Pete, Stanwell, and Grabows. Plus a few no-names. Bought a few complete dogs off Ebay that were badly mis-represented. I have a collection of about 20-25 now. And I got away from pipe smoking completely for quite a few years. So, now when I see my collection, I see it with zero passion to "increase". My favorite smokers are still my favorite. I have an old Averti that I broke the stem on. Ed James made me a new one. It was a good smoker before and after, and if I could only pack one pipe around for life everlasting, it would be the one. I even have a Brylon pipe. It smokes just fine. If someone gave me a Dunhill, I would be grateful and blessed. Because I can't spend that much on a pipe. But I honestly don't know if it would get smoked any more or any less than anything else in the rack.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I really only smoke meerschaums or unfiltered Savinelli pipes so I wouldn't know. I haven't really felt the draw to purchase an 'artisan' pipe.

EDIT: I guess signed meers are all artisan pipes technically but I meant artisan briars.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
How things change! When I joined the board nine years ago, Escudo was the darling of quite a few, with posts aplenty. It's seldom mentioned now.

That, and Haddos Delight.
I have a virgin tin of 2011 Escudo, and I didn't like it in 2011. I have a virgin tin of Sobranie, too. I am not exactly sure what I want to do with it, either. Black Frigate, anyone?

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Yup as said above, budget needs defining. For 100-200$, sometimes cheaper there’s some very sexy pipes out there with contrast stains and metal bands, and more. Neerup, Nording, Savinelli, Rossi, Peterson, can all offer that if you dig around their catalogs, also some nice Italian artisans for around 200$.

I often find pipes in that range I prefer to more expensive artisans, I find lots of high end pipes, overrated.

rmcnabb

Might Stick Around
Feb 19, 2024
I kind of have a $200 limit and am trying to get a few of my favorites every year. I love Neerups and would have a dozen if I could. I'll wind up with a few...and a few of the better Petersons, and some ebay finds. But the ones I really use all the time, my walking and driving and workshop pipes, are Invicta Briars, custom made for me, and about $50.

If money was no object I'd get several of the Commonweal 2 offerings by Tatsuo. But I can't see $500 for a pipe.

Reactions: elvishrunes

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
How things change! When I joined the board nine years ago, Escudo was the darling of quite a few, with posts aplenty. It's seldom mentioned now.
I’d mention it more if they made it the same as the Escudo I hoarded some years ago. It doesn’t totally suck, but it’s not what it used to be.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
As far as ”expensive” pipes are concerned, I’ll admit I’m more of a tool collector than an art collector; I started lurking this site to enjoy other folks’ art collecting vicariously.

Reactions: LeafErikson

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Line up four almost identical blasted billiards, and I’ll bet I’d reach for the one that is unaffordable. Not always, mind you, but almost.

I’m guessing I’m not alone here? Share below……
My eye, like yours, is close to infallible. Thought it was a mental quirk, and I was alone. I do the same with all kinds of stuff. Kind of frustrating, isn't it? With pipes, some of the Danish greats, for example, have wonderful lines, lines you don't see on cheaper pipes, to say nothing of materials and workmanship. They do catch the eye, don't they? I have no intention of paying four figures for a friggin' pipe, but I do admire sexy, if I may apply the term here. Did I say frustrating? It's more of an annoyance, actually.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
LBF is a MUCH better blend than the STG made crap they call Escudo. The Copes and Peterson's versions are another matter.
How long ago was Escudo made by someone other than STG? I think it was made by STG already when I switched from cigs to a pipe in 2020. I remember trying escudo, being confused, and never trying it again. It’s unreasonably expensive for being so mediocre.