PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Good morning,

So I’m sitting here perusing various sites and looking at the pipes being offered. No biggie. It’s what I do. But I’m wondering if I’m not alone with the experience that happens every time?

What happens is; I’m looking at just the pipe - I don’t look at the name of the brand or maker or price - just the pipe. I look at its shape, size, blasted or smooth, colour, stem, how it flows, etc….and ten times out of ten, when I finally look at the brand, maker, or price…it’s a gazzilion dollars….or in other words, waaaaay out of my meagre budget.

Line up four almost identical blasted billiards, and I’ll bet I’d reach for the one that is unaffordable. Not always, mind you, but almost.

I’m guessing I’m not alone here? Share below……

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Almost every time.

I m not a maker but Im betting better and more attractive briar costs much. In the least the premium pieces mean the lesser ones are not used which effectively drives the price up. Also face it, good designers know they are good and they charge for it. They typically built their careers working hard for little money. I just noticed you are talking about blasts. A good blast takes skill or luck. Some guys spend a lot of energy doing a great blast.

Its pretty much that way in most areas. You pay for the good stuff. That said, it doesn’t always mean they smoke better.

That is one reason I buy estates. Im only willing to part with so much cash. Those can be pricey too but normally around half of new or less.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
Almost every time.

I m not a maker but Im betting better and more attractive briar costs much. In the least the premium pieces mean the lesser ones are not used which effectively drives the price up. Also face it, good designers know they are good and they charge for it. They typically built their careers working hard for little money. I just noticed you are talking about blasts. A good blast takes skill or luck. Some guys spend a lot of energy doing a great blast.

Its pretty much that way in most areas. You pay for the good stuff. That said, it doesn’t always mean they smoke better.

That is one reason I buy estates. Im only willing to part with so much cash. Those can be pricey too but normally around half of new or less.
Yep. I mostly buy estates as well, but even then you have to be wary of buying someone else’s dogs. Maybe they don’t have a great draw, or a cleaner won’t pass, or there’s too much buffing and the end of the stem that meets the shank is ‘rounded’ (pet peeve), or whatever.

And yes, a high price or name does not guarantee a better smoke. Hopefully, but not always.

I’m finding that with time and age, I seem to be getting better at knowing what aesthetically (to me) is pleasing to the eye, and it’s often the most expensive of the pipes.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Good morning,

So I’m sitting here perusing various sites and looking at the pipes being offered. No biggie. It’s what I do. But I’m wondering if I’m not alone with the experience that happens every time?

What happens is; I’m looking at just the pipe - I don’t look at the name of the brand or maker or price - just the pipe. I look at its shape, size, blasted or smooth, colour, stem, how it flows, etc….and ten times out of ten, when I finally look at the brand, maker, or price…it’s a gazzilion dollars….or in other words, waaaaay out of my meagre budget.

Line up four almost identical blasted billiards, and I’ll bet I’d reach for the one that is unaffordable. Not always, mind you, but almost.

I've solved this by my tastes shifting exclusively to meerschaum, not because. of cost, that was just a happy circumstance, I move to meer because i enjoy smoking them more for reasons across the board, it just so happens they tend to be much cheaper as well.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I get some guys love the quality/collector value, and of course when “just looking” I’m drawn to stoopid expensive pipes.
That said, pipes are a new found passion to me, in addition to a few other pre-existing passions I’ve got-none of which are cheap (Harleys, shooting/hunting, horses, etc.
In less than a couple years, I’ve gotten close to three dozen pipes (in addition to the ten my dad gave me that started this whole fiasco). I think one broke the $100 mark after tax/shipping.
Best part is, I enjoy them all even though I only smoke outside (at home and at work) often in questionable conditions. Only two were bought new, and the rest are between 40-90 years old.
I don’t know what I’d do with an artisan or high grade collector pipe, other than think what hunt I could have gone on, or necessities I could’ve bought instead (including tobacco😆).
There’s a few out there I’d pay dearly for, for sure, but I’m grateful for what I’ve got and regret none.
Then I’ve also heard many examples of buying/commissioning very expensive pipes that don’t smoke well-I’d be beside myself in such an event!
To each their own, though. Grandpa always said “it’s a good thing everyone likes different things, otherwise everybody’d be trying to bang grandma”.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Absolutely. If it is a nice looking pipe with nice dimensions and shaping, it’s almost always expensive. I like traditional looking pipes, like traditional English shapes and Italian pipes. So Castello and Dunhill appeal to me. This is why I like estate Dunhill, Comoy’s, and Castello's. As for Dunhill the older ones are better anyway. Radice and Northern Briars are still good brand new buys though. You’ll find that almost no one makes a proper billiard or lovat without it being too oversized or this and that making it look off.

Reactions: BrightDarkEyes

Briarcutter

Can't Leave
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Good morning,

Be grateful you're not into watches!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@rokerdepipe my thoughts are, there is a huge world of small artisan carvers in various price ranges, so you don’t feel like everything is out of reach.

I’d say if you haven’t, start looking on Instagram. :)

Sooner or later, you can get a custom commission on something you can afford, and one of a kind too. ;)