Whiskey and driving ….???
whiskey and guns
Whiskey and politics

you get the jest…???

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I like liquorice tea as a pairing, partly for flavour, but also it gives a 'tongue numb' palate cleanse effect with each sip, similar to whisky.

For a peaty alternative I drink 'lap sang sou chong' tea.

I also like whisky/whiskey, but do not drink a lot of it.

Reactions: JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Connecticut, USA
I find drinking some Whiskey with my pipe brings out the flavors dramatically. Enough so that it’s not as satisfying unless I do.

Anyone have some alternatives? I love my whiskey, but I don’t want to get into a point where I love it too much, if you know what I’m saying.
Alternative to whiskey and a pipe ? Isn't that one of the definitions of ... death ???:ROFLMAO:

Enoch

Lurker
Mar 6, 2022
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I like sweet tea with peach schnapps with a light aromatic on summer afternoons and a salty scotch (Talisker 10 is a favorite) with a more stout blend in the evenings, but bubbly mineral water with a pipe is also very nice, and of course coffee if it's a morning smoke

nv114

Lurker
Apr 8, 2024
Chicago
It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. If you're looking to mix things up, there are some great alternatives to whiskey and a pipe. For a change of pace, try rum. It has that rich, smooth flavor and can be pretty enjoyable, especially with a nice cigar.

Reactions: FLDRD and JOHN72

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I really like whisky, and I really like my pipe. But for me, they don't go together. I think they compete with each other too much.

I usually smoke in the evening, and I drink sparkling water with my pipe. It reveals the pipe tobacco flavor like nothing else. I drink ice-cold water if I don't have access to sparkling water.

I'll drink black coffee with a morning pipe.

nv114

Lurker
Apr 8, 2024
Chicago
It's been a while since your post, but I wanted to offer some insight. If you're looking to mix things up, there are some great alternatives to whiskey and a pipe. For a change of pace, try rum. It has that rich, smooth flavor and can be pretty enjoyable, especially with a nice cigar.
Or, if you're in the mood for something a bit different, a good brandy could be worth a shot. It has a warm, inviting taste that's perfect for relaxing. And, if you're exploring options, you could check out shop ruou ngoai. They have a good selection of spirits that might surprise you.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I've never found an "alternative" to whiskey for anything. Maybe whisky, maybe. It's like trying to find an alternative to Frog Morton. Like "replacing" a beloved tin of FM, the best you can hope for is finding something you like just as much knowing it won't be whiskey.

Me, I do not (or can not) smoke a pipe while enjoying a tasty adult beverage. One of those tasty adult beverages becomes 5 or 6 very quickly. And then the part of my brain that runs smoking forgets we're smoking a pipe and goes to factory default settings (or "cigarettes" if you want to be technical).

Coffee, ice water, and ginger ale are my accompanying drinks of choice. Coffee brings out the nuttiness of burley and the ?? that orientals bring to the table. Ginger ale and Virginias work very very well together for me. If I smoke even a little bit too fast, the Canada Dry will torch my tongue faster and more thoroughly than the tobacco could ever hope to. Plus when done right the flavors compliment each other wonderfully. A case of carrots and sticks. And ice water just goes with everything.

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Whiskey‘s pretty much all I drink in terms of booze, and beer when I’m trying to save coin. But seldom together, while whiskey may enhance the tobacco flavour, the tobacco will ruin the whiskey flavour, still worth it though if that’s what’s wanted.

I like beer and a pipe probably more, like J RR Tolkien. I smoke a pipe around 10-4pm-ish and drink with dinner, just how it works out. If you are prone to becoming an alcoholic, I certainly have been in the past, a couple with dinner like Euros do keeps it in check.

Madeira goes fantastically with a pipe. A (dry) oloroso sherry gives a similar experience but is less sweet. Both beverages have a similar concentration of flavor as whiskey or bourbon, but with 20% or less alcohol instead of 40% or more.

gord

Part of the Furniture Now
I like cold coffee, Roibas tea, filtered cold water or plain Perrier, depending on tobacco. A chunk or two of your favorite ryecrisp also works . . . . to me at least doesn't detract from the flavor of the tobacco I'm smoking.

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
Welp, nothing new that hasn't already been said...

But I smoke about once or twice a week and usually enjoy water, coffee, or tea with it.

If I'm going to drink, I really enjoy my infinity bottle of rum after I smoke. Rum brings out the lovely flavors of the smoke... Or is it the other way around? Smoke brings out the lovely flavors of rum?

Lol, idk. It's just good.

If you're smoking often, just change your mindset and make the most of non alcoholic drinks. I'm sure, given time, youll learn to appreciate whatever it is you drink while smoking. Just gotta look for the positive experience, and don't think of any good experience as "not good enough". That's when greed takes over and turns you into an addict.

😜

OH! Almost forgot... It's not great, but it works... Coconut sparkling water... Add a touch of rum to it. Enjoy.

You can safely enjoy one to two shots of hard Liquors daily, not to exceed 10-12 shots a week, and remain a non-alcoholic. The body usually doesn't become dependent on that small amount.

However, be sure to take breaks from alcohol.

I might just have one or two literal shots to enjoy with a pipe in order to purposely limit myself. I'll accompany it with water if I'm thirsty.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Mtn Dew, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Cheerwine.. All go well with pipe. You can slip a bit of Everclear left over from pipe cleaning, before having it go through the pipe. You won't even notice it until you have to sit down after trying to get up in the first place.

Reactions: JOHN72