PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Eastmon

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2022
Vancouver, BC
I find drinking some Whiskey with my pipe brings out the flavors dramatically. Enough so that it’s not as satisfying unless I do.

Anyone have some alternatives? I love my whiskey, but I don’t want to get into a point where I love it too much, if you know what I’m saying.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I like my pipe with a good cup of tea at times. The flavors really play well together.

Coffee is also a good accompaniment in the morning.

Beyond that, I also like a little Bourbon or Whiskey with my pipe. Sometimes a nice glass of wine or port.

Sometimes just water. Depends on my mood.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
You can try infusing a good burley or virginia with your favorite bourbon. I simply soak a small piece of absorbent cloth in whiskey and put it in a Ziploc bag with some tobacco, shake II up and let it sit a couple of days.
This way I get the enhanced flavors without the guilt.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Me too. And various kinds of beer.
My solution is to dedicate a couple of blends to those evenings when I allow myself a few drinks.
I've found that especially rewarding with stronger blends. The strength of Royal Yacht, 1792 Flake, Old Dark Fired and some others is a bit too much for me unless I pair them with an alcoholic drink. This alleviates the strength and brings out the flavors instead.

May 12, 2022
I drink only during the evening’s smokes. First choice is a bitter beer, like IPAs. If I want something more sweet and strong, I go to an agricole rum.
Regarding Whiskeys, for me the best pairing is with a peaty scotch.

• Love
Reactions: Eastmon and JOHN72

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I've found coffee is the best and tea (thanks @hoosierpipeguy) is great as well, but I don't drink decaf coffee and generally don't enjoy a pipe first thing in the morning and decaf tea is more of a late night thing, so that doesn't happen much. Enjoyed a rare Coke (really don't drink and soda type stuff at all anymore) in my wife's vehicle (double the gas mileage, lol, she has since commented on the faint odor of tobacco) on the way home from a little road trip the other day and it was nice with a coupe of bowls, although the ice didn't make it all the way. Something about the carbonation.

Now we FINALLY have spring I'll be out on the deck more and iced tea is a great fit, I'm partial to hard cider with a pipe but that stuff goes down so easy (!), a very citrusy homemade margarita on occasion. I've had whisky while pipe smoking and it's good but I've found it's not my preference as a combination and now I just enjoy a dram as I used to - totally for it's own merit, usually in the evening, but that's only once a week or so. Honestly, most days I enjoy a bowl or part of one at lunchtime and I don't drink anything.

Reactions: JOHN72

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Coffee is my favorite drink to have with my pipe then water. I like all sorts of whiskey but for some reason don’t especially like whiskey with my pipe.
Weirdly I have found that I quite like a good gin and tonic with Balkan Sasieni or similar blend.

Reactions: JOHN72