PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
If you’re willing to play Russian roulette with the postal service, perhaps Geoff at Cambridge pipe repairs.
Good resource to know. I'll definitely keep them in mind as a backup if George doesn't want to do those two stems (although trusting my two Dunhills roundtrip thru the international mail system doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling).

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The best stem guy in the business is without a doubt, @georged , then there's Tim West, American, Lewis, that is if you're looking for experienced quality work. Otherwise there are cheap stumblebums that are popular here because they're cheap.
I had Rich Lewis make a stem for my Ken Barnes pipe a few years ago. I wanted something other than the black stem it came with. NYT Black/Orange 8 Swirl. Top notch work.

One of these days I might just have to smoke that pipe…

DEE59B57-87A5-49C7-B09E-6FA69D62E217.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesus. Thanks for posting this. I've been searching for a place to do a simple tenon replacement and keep getting "red flags". The last person I emailed seemed to want to replace the whole stem rather than the tenon. The guy before that kept my pipes for six months and kept blowing me off.
There's no such thing as a "simple tenon replacement" if it's being done correctly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Im sorry this happened. My first ever big purchase commission was a total disaster. The stem didn't sit flush to the shank, there was also excess glue showing near the briar ring that was installed. Then the button was round on one side, and a triangle on the other. On top of that it was bigger then I wanted. I tried to hard to enjoy the most expensive pipe I've ever purchased, but gave up trying after a month, and traded it to sp. I could have asked for my money back, but I smoked it maybe ten times and didn't feel right doing so. Couldn't believe what I just paid for.....

This confirmed my love for inexpensive factory pipes. Atleast they are consistent.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
I'm also interested to hear any recommendations for highest quality stem replacement (specifically for two 1920's-era Patent Dunhills I own). @georged is generally recognized as the about the best there is, but he told me he is tremendously backed up and recommended I first see if I could find someone else (although he did tell me to circle back with him again in a few months and let him know if I had no luck). Price and waiting time are secondary to me on these two pipes; best quality, period-correct stem work is the priority...

Here is the only official Pipe Repair Shop of Dunhill in the US. From their website

864A7934-4D44-46E4-8356-3DED171AE4F0.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'm feeling a distinct lack of empathy.
Apologies if it came across that way. The stem replacement sucks, given what you asked for. As you say, Jesse has provided a good list and you already know some artisan carvers.

I don’t know briarville, but I see them recommended here regularly. It is helpful to get a clearer picture of some of their work. It is also helpful to know that you were refunded.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Apologies if it came across that way. The stem replacement sucks, given what you asked for. As you say, Jesse has provided a good list and you already know some artisan carvers.

I don’t know briarville, but I see them recommended here regularly. It is helpful to get a clearer picture of some of their work. It is also helpful to know that you were refunded.
I was joking. But thanks for being sensitive. LOL

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Perhaps the problem is or rather was, that you did not communicate correctly what you wanted. There is a big difference in requesting a replacement stem that is as close to the original as possible and wanting a new handmade stem with matching color and specifications for the bit.

The pattern in the replacement is close with the exception of the wide decoration in the middle.

Additionally, if you looked at the price list posted on his site you would have seen that you were simply getting a stock replacement. It plainly states that hand cut stems start at $100.

The estimate I got from Rich was $70.00 and the final price was $82.00. Does the $59.00 include shipping? That was the extra $12.00 for me.

If it was miscommunication, that takes two people.

Status
Not open for further replies.