PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

astralogic

Lurker
Feb 24, 2017
Hi, I find it impossible to rub out tobacco flakes that I cut from a plug. They just tend to compress into chunks which I have to pick apart manually with my fingernails. It takes ages and then doesn't even smoke right.
So I'm looking for other ways to do it, I can't rub them out in my hands, there must be another way right?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Coffee grinder or herb grinder as used in the preparation of MJ for smoking. Can be found on Amazon.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Or just go to a local head shop. They'll have an assortment of grinders that are usually only a few bucks, and they work like a champ. You'll have to take an extra shower to get the filthy hippie funk off, but it's worth it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dry the cut flakes a bunch more before trying to load. Unless they are way heavily topped or cased, that should make a difference.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Just cube cut it and load it up. It should smoke ok if dried well.
Or get a cheap coffee/spice grinder. I use a cheap coffee grinder.
Michael I was wondering why I wasn't getting those grassy notes on virginia's.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I just rub them between my hands until they grind down into strips. But, consider the fold, twist and invert method. It's delicious.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
But the invert method works only if the tobacco is dry enough to at least splinter in the fold on top. Unless you don't mind a half dozen initial lights.....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Twist, plug and flake, which is cut plug, have been around a long time, and as such remind me of the glorious history of pipe smoking. I celebrate that history by making them smokeable totally by hand. Method: pull, twist, turn, etc. I could do so more quickly with a knife and chopping block but I prefer old-fashioned handiwork.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Just slice it up with a pen knife unless its that 'Yucksman Plug' in which case a small circular band saw is advised. If I can't unload this stuff onto my friend Weezel and Jim Inks won't cremate it for me then you know its pretty tough. Most other plugs are easy to cut by guiding the knife blade against the tobacco with the plug resting against your pointing finger.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Astal.... I use a medium size food processor that isn't super cheap or expensive. Any blend that comes in a plug or flake form, gets a trip through this tobacco dedicated little dandy. It's powerful enough to make a perfect texture and fluff for packing. That's a 8oz. tin next to it, and the brand is KitchenAid.
img_1957-600x400.jpg

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
mcitinner1: I tried that a few months ago with some Rich Dark Flake but it lost almost all its flavour.. :/

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The herb grinder and similar devices sound most promising, though I usually just rub it out by hand, reducing if necessary with a knife blade or scissors. I have sometimes wondered if a mortar and pestle would do the job, but probably the crushing aspect of that would reduce the leaf too much for even burning, producing too much powder and not enough flammable edges and pieces. The cheese grater looks viable!

Status
Not open for further replies.