Alright, Serious Question of The Day: How Do You Like Your Eggs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Like: Omelets, scrambled, hard boiled, deviled.

Can't stand: Soft boiled, poached, fried.
Does Hollandaise count as an egg dish? That I love.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Scrambled pretty hard, omelets, quiche, deviled. Just don't like poached, fried, runny. Fast food bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits etc. are usually okay. As a kid, I just didn't do eggs. I was out of the Navy and in grad school on GI Bill before I had scrambled eggs for breakfast. As a kid, it was always peanut butter and jam on toast with bacon, and often it still is.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I just pain like eggs doesn't matter how they are prepared I will eat them.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I like mine runny, even if I boil them I like them half raw. Omelette is a treat for late Sunday morning, and eggs Benedict is another good recipe - although that is highly unhealthy, especially with the Hollander sauce that I buy already made. I like eggs, I like em so much I could eat them every day ... fear of cholesterol keeps me down to about 6/week.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Remember when eggs were very bad verboten cholesterol bombs? Heart killers? Then new research was done, and oops, eggs are a good source of protein and in a balanced diet perfectly wonderful and somewhat necessary. Butter and lard have experienced similar reconsiderations. You don't want to live on them entirely, but you can actually suffer from the absence and ill-considered substitutions for them. Whatever Grandma (or her surrogate in your life) fed you -- with some care exercised with meat products -- is probably pretty good, and especially the way she balanced the meals. She didn't over-think it, but she consolidated a few thousand years of trial and error pretty well, thank you very much.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Highly recommend. 9 min and the whites are firm and yolk is perfect. Called an egglette
silicone-egglettes-egg-cooker-hard-boiled_800x.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mso489 you may be right. Around here if you ask 5 doctors about the health benefits or downside of eggs, you get 5 different answers. And of course, if you ask the nutritionist he/she may have a totally different opinion from the 5 doctors. Screw them all, I love eggs :mrgreen: Every so often we find quail eggs for sale, those are delicious.
folanator pardon my ignorance, but how does that work? I would guess that you break the egg and pour in that plastic thing, and then the plastic thing goes in boiling water?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
They'd do the trick if I ran late and needed to make one at the office. I've even considered making eggs for lunch, but no feasible means to make them at the office that wouldn't piss off a fire marshall.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I think that the only reason bread exists is to be toasted to dip into a runny yolk. That said, I'm always iffy about ordering sunnyside up eggs at a restaurant. All too often, the eggs come out with uncooked whites around the yolk, which says to me that the cook, not the eggs, needs more seasoning.
Russ

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Maddox, you crack the eggs and just spray a little pam or coat with butter so they don't stick. Then place in boiling water for 9 min if you like them runny, or 10 min if you like them firmer. As Greg said, I am not a fan of runny whites but like it when the yolks melt on the toast cheese and bacon.
Perfect....now I'm hungry again.

What blows my mind is that habit has sold us younger (under 90, ha ha) Americans on this idea that eggs have to be kept cold. But, I remember my grandmother keeping fresh eggs in the pantry, hundred of those things. And, I think that the US is the only place that refrigerates eggs. As much as I understand all of this... I just can't bring myself to let the eggs warm up. It's so ingrained that eggs "have" to be cold.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Part of the issue now, I would think, is in production of the eggs. They aren't produced like they used to be and are instead produced on such a scale and in mostly non-free range conditions that contaminants are more abundantly possible now. Also, eggs that are introduced to the cold, must be kept that way or you run the risk of increasing contaminants.
I don't understand it either. I grew up with fresh eggs, having a chicken coup in the back yard. We had fresh eggs every morning and they were never refrigerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.