PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
My all day smoke ended up being 3 Sails, but I like to mix in some other leaf, usually white burley or dark fired but I mix many things with it, although I prefer simple mixtures of 2,3 ingredients. I like the mixture to be heavy on Virginia. I like those middle of the road, natural tasting blends.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although I've never smoked all day (and now usually limit smoking to Sundays), an all day blend would have to be bulk (so as to stay affordable at that volume), light (so as not to make me sick of it at that volume), and of course pleasant to me.

Possibilities that come to mind include Newminster 400, (aged) LBF, and Boswell's Christmas Cookie.

None of these are in my top few tobaccos of all time, but I like them and they're better suited to all-day smoking than my absolute favorites are.

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
2 blends come to mind, for me.
In bulk, Newminster 400
In a tin, Erik Stokkebye 4th gen 1931

How about you @bearwolf56 ? You started the thread but didn't chime in. Have you found an all day favorite?
I agree with a tobacco that's fairly mild and doesn't take much attention to smoke. For right now it's Carter Hall.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Best of the Rest English is a light English that you can just load and smoke. At $13 for a pound it's economical as well as tasty.

Reactions: tobakenist

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All day smoke means exactly what it says, no max, no memos.

There are a lot of blends I can smoke all day, like Yorktown, or SWRA, or Cringle Flake, or G&H Birdseye, or St Bruno, or pretty much anything that will burn.

Some of the stuff I smoke all day would kill some of you, so ignore my suggestions, except for the first two. If either of those is too much for you then there is no such thing as an all day smoke for you.

Then again, I don’t smoke all day anyway. A couple, few bowls a day is plenty for me. I used to smoke all day, till I regained some sanity. So, never mind.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I'm an all day pipe smoker. The most important factors for me for an 'all day' blend are 1. A mild and pleasant taste 2. Lower cost and availability 3. Soft mouth feel so smoking multiple bowls a day doesn't burn out my palette.

I've tried quite a few candidates and pretty much any of the old OTC codger blends qualify, pick your favorite. I have smoked a fair amount of both Carter Hall, Captain Black and SWR as an all day type of smoke. I've also smoked a lot of 1Q, MacB Scottish, Golden Extra and VA NO 1 and Plum Cake as well as Erinmore.

Current favorites (subject to change) are Borkum Riff Bourbon (Bronze) and Smoker's Pride Cherry and Lane Blk Raspberry. Of the typically 8 or 9 bowls/day I smoke, probably 5 or 6 will be one of those. I like to mix in 2 or 3 bowls a day of something a bit different and stronger usually a straight burley or Va or VaPer in a flake, plug or twist.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is a topic that comes up periodically. An "all-day" smoke is one that is satisfying for multiple bowls but not overwhelming.
Although It is rare for me to smoke more than one bowl of the same blend in one day - it does happen, just not often - most of what I smoke could be an all-day smoke for the right smoker. Tobaccos in my rotation and currently in production that might fill that bill include Mac B Golden Extra and Mixture, Amphora Original and Virginia, Milan "Our" Kentucky Club Mild, Prince Al, Low Country Natural Virginia, C&D Derringer, Astley 55, Capstan Original, Sutliffe Virginia Slices, and PS Natural Dutch Cavendish.

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
My definition would be a blend you can smoke all day without getting fatigued nor bored. Carter Hall, any of Sutliff's codger clones would be good fits. I suppose cavendish blends would be good too.

This is all me guessing though. Even on the weekends I can't smoke all day. I really wish I could, but I have to wait until retirement.

Reactions: bearwolf56 and Tate

bearwolf56

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2013
Burlington, North Carolina
My definition would be a blend you can smoke all day without getting fatigued nor bored. Carter Hall, any of Sutliff's codger clones would be good fits. I suppose cavendish blends would be good too.

This is all me guessing though. Even on the weekends I can't smoke all day. I really wish I could, but I have to wait until retirement.
When I was working the only bowl, I had was with my morning coffee. After I retired two years ago, I now smoke all day. I don't have a pipe in my mouth 24/7 but am now able to have a bowl throughout the day if I want. Retirement rules.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
This thread has me thinking about my journey so far. When I started this hobby, I jumped straight in to tins, and skipped over most of the OTC blends. I've tried a few bulk blends from my local B&M. I've also tried a few pouch blends from Amphora and St. Bruno. And I did enjoy a tin of MacBaren 7 Seas regular, which I've read is like a match for CB white. But I feel like I've missed out on some milestone tobaccos along the way.
I do like burley. So, I'm going to add a few codger pouches to my next order.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I don’t smoke all day or for breakfast, but if I did I would smoke whatever I wanted, like I do now…. I don’t pay attention to supposed pipe rules, like Englishes in the cool late fall, they taste as good to me on a hot summers day…

Reactions: Tate

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
This thread has me thinking about my journey so far. When I started this hobby, I jumped straight in to tins, and skipped over most of the OTC blends. I've tried a few bulk blends from my local B&M. I've also tried a few pouch blends from Amphora and St. Bruno. And I did enjoy a tin of MacBaren 7 Seas regular, which I've read is like a match for CB white. But I feel like I've missed out on some milestone tobaccos along the way.
I do like burley. So, I'm going to add a few codger pouches to my next order.
Same here buddy!

Reactions: yanoJL

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
When I was working the only bowl, I had was with my morning coffee. After I retired two years ago, I now smoke all day. I don't have a pipe in my mouth 24/7 but am now able to have a bowl throughout the day if I want. Retirement rules.
You did your time and get to enjoy the rewards, in this case having a pipe in your mouth as often as you please. I'm doing my time now and I'll get there. In the meantime, stocking up on pre-aged Virginias to enjoy when that time comes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You did your time and get to enjoy the rewards, in this case having a pipe in your mouth as often as you please
Still working and have a pipe going throughout most of the day.

stocking up on pre-aged Virginias to enjoy when that time comes.
Why pre-aged to smoke later? Blends change dramatically within the first couple of years.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I envy several of you that mentioned time spent in your workshop and can envision enjoying a pipe there all day.

I do not smoke all day. Generally In the early morning for me. But in the above scenario, it would be something that I could clench and forget about, mindlessly keeping it lit while enjoying being surrounded by a familiar, pleasantly mild proper fog.

The blends that would fit this for me would all be a simple, easy going burley or VaBur. Prince Albert or, of course.. Granger. Pegasus wraps one in a nice cozy blanket too, although it can be harsh for an “all day”

Nope, Granger wins for me here. Never tire of it. Never want too.

RookieGuy80

Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Still working and have a pipe going throughout most of the day.

Why pre-aged to smoke later? Blends change dramatically within the first couple of years.
We have different jobs I guess. And I say I buy to age, that hides my paranoia. I do truly believe within 15 years tobacco will be restricted to the point where grey markets flourish. Any kind of nicotine product.