PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
I've been experimenting lately with drinking alkaline water while smoking my pipe, on the theory that offsetting acidic smoke with an alkaline beverage may help minimize tongue bite. Blenders will often choose leaf ingredients to balance the pH of the blend, for example Perique can help soften the acidity of Virginia, but when you're smoking pure Virginia, you need to look for other options to help balance the acids.

To give some context, I regularly drink a lot of water, about a quart/liter per hour when smoking, and I usually have two to three bowls of various blends per evening smoking session. I've had a rough time with tongue bite from Virginia-heavy blends and from some aromatics like Mac Baren Plumcake, even when smoking slowly or sipping my pipe.

I started this experiment with a bottle of "Eternal" brand alkaline spring water, which reports a pH of 7.8 to 8.2. It was on sale, but I don't want to pay $1.69+ per smoking session just for water, so I switched to using Natural Calm-brand magnesium carbonate powder dissolved in water, which is a mild antacid and generates a pH of 8 to 9, a slightly stronger alkalinity than Eternal-brand spring water. (I usually drink a large dose of Natural Calm before bed, but if you're not used to it just be warned that magnesium in higher doses has a laxative effect!)

Most of the Natural Calm products are lightly flavored, so I just ordered a bag of (even cheaper) pure magnesium carbonate powder, so that any flavors in the water wouldn't affect my tobacco flavors.

Anecdotally, I can report that my tongue has been much less ragged than it has been in previous weeks. I have yet to smoke a bowl of MacB Plumcake, which is my bugbear, so my testing shall continue.

Has anyone else considered or tested this theory of offsetting pH with beverages?

bpinkstaff

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I've been experimenting lately with drinking alkaline water while smoking my pipe, on the theory that offsetting acidic smoke with an alkaline beverage may help minimize tongue bite. Blenders will often choose leaf ingredients to balance the pH of the blend, for example Perique can help soften the acidity of Virginia, but when you're smoking pure Virginia, you need to look for other options to help balance the acids.

To give some context, I regularly drink a lot of water, about a quart/liter per hour when smoking, and I usually have two to three bowls of various blends per evening smoking session. I've had a rough time with tongue bite from Virginia-heavy blends and from some aromatics like Mac Baren Plumcake, even when smoking slowly or sipping my pipe.

I started this experiment with a bottle of "Eternal" brand alkaline spring water, which reports a pH of 7.8 to 8.2. It was on sale, but I don't want to pay $1.69+ per smoking session just for water, so I switched to using Natural Calm-brand magnesium carbonate powder dissolved in water, which is a mild antacid and generates a pH of 8 to 9, a slightly stronger alkalinity than Eternal-brand spring water. (I usually drink a large dose of Natural Calm before bed, but if you're not used to it just be warned that magnesium in higher doses has a laxative effect!)

Most of the Natural Calm products are lightly flavored, so I just ordered a bag of (even cheaper) pure magnesium carbonate powder, so that any flavors in the water wouldn't affect my tobacco flavors.

Anecdotally, I can report that my tongue has been much less ragged than it has been in previous weeks. I have yet to smoke a bowl of MacB Plumcake, which is my bugbear, so my testing shall continue.

Has anyone else considered or tested this theory of offsetting pH with beverages?
Interesting and following!

Perique is more acidic than a Virginia. (3.8 V 4.5-5) The differences in PH between a Burley and a Virginia is very minimal, like maybe 2 degrees. (4.5-5 V 6-7)

Also, try drinking a cup of milk after smoking a Virginia. It is like adding baking soda to vinegar. You won't like it very much. I'm not so sure adding the opposite to a PH scale is such a great idea. If you are plagued with bite and burn, maybe recalculate your packing, cadence, and smoking styles. Offsetting a bad habit with a gimmick has never been a great idea in pipe smoking.
I really find that ice water is the way to go while smoking. YMMV

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Perique is more acidic than a Virginia. (3.8 V 4.5-5) The differences in PH between a Burley and a Virginia is very minimal, like maybe 2 degrees. (4.5-5 V 6-7)

Also, try drinking a cup of milk after smoking a Virginia. It is like adding baking soda to vinegar. You won't like it very much. I'm not so sure adding the opposite to a PH scale is such a great idea. If you are plagued with bite and burn, maybe recalculate your packing, cadence, and smoking styles. Offsetting a bad habit with a gimmick has never been a great idea in pipe smoking.
I really find that ice water is the way to go while smoking. YMMV
Interesting. I was inspired to look at this theory based on what I read in Robert C.A. Goff's book "Blend Your Own Tobacco," in which he discusses tongue bite and blending to mitigate it. On page 14 he talks about "Relatively alkaline tobaccos, such as Burley, Maryland, dark air cured and Perique" (relative, that is, to more-acidic Virginias, see page excerpt below).

As you suggest, @cosmicfolklore, I have already varied my packing, cadence, and smoking style to accommodate "bitey tobaccos", and while I experience less tongue bite than I did at first, I'm looking at ways to mitigate even what's left. As they say, it's not a gimmick if it works.

What I'm doing is basically the same as drinking a glass of ice water, with a touch of added alkalinity - and since magnesium carbonate is non-flavored, it's not even noticeable except in effect (perhaps, which is the test).

Screenshot 2024-09-24 at 12.02.59 PM.png

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I don’t get tongue bite, but the roof of my mouth just behind the teeth, where all the folds are at, called the palatine rugae, all this area starts aching and throbbing.

It makes me think that maybe this is a side effect of smokers palate.

I seriously have to start getting pipes from now on with filters, or maybe the meerschaum disks like @Said.ALTINAY makes, that sit at the bottom of the chamber, hopefully these will help.

Reactions: MattRVA

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
Tongue bite is an irritation after the tongue was exposed to acidic smoke. An alkaline beverage may "neutralize" the acid, but is it going to reverse the bite after the damage (i.e. the irritation) has occurred?

I just sip on water, preferably cool (not cold) water. Seems to help. At the end of the day, a bit of cold, unsweetened, plain yogurt is a nice balm if I got a pipey tongue.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
1 big teaspoon sea salt dissolved in a cup of water gargled will kill TB once you have it, speed healing as it’s very alkaline. So might also work to prevent it too. But haven’t had much TB fortunately since around 2017-ish myself…

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
So, you basically drink Alka-Seltzer with pipe smoke?
In a way, yes. Except that my beverage is far less bubbly and pretty much flavorless (not salty-tasting). It drinks essentially like regular water, cool and refreshing.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the pH of Alka-Seltzer, and apparently it's slightly acidic itself at 6.5 pH, just less so than the tummy/esophagus full of HCl that it's employed to soothe. My glassful of magnesium carbonate dissolved in water is on the alkaline side at 8–9 pH.

I have for many years also consumed refreshing glasses of Effervescente Brioschi, a very mild Italian antacid that was originally marketed as a carbonated beverage in the fashion of a homemade mineral water. Only in writing this have I made this connection, that I've long found these style of drinks to be lovely, and it just so happens that in my experience it also seems to soothe my tongue when smoking my pipe.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Tongue bite is an irritation after the tongue was exposed to acidic smoke. An alkaline beverage may "neutralize" the acid, but is it going to reverse the bite after the damage (i.e. the irritation) has occurred?

I just sip on water, preferably cool (not cold) water. Seems to help. At the end of the day, a bit of cold, unsweetened, plain yogurt is a nice balm if I got a pipey tongue.

Not sure what you mean by Acidic Smoke, this is not correct. You don‘t want more Alkaline PH from a drink, or food, you want something that lowers the Alkaline.

Quoted from G.L. Pease

Some Popular Myths
High sugar virginias “bite”

Tongue “bite” is a response to smoke with a higher pH (more alkaline) than the mouth and tongue are used to. Some tobaccos, notably burleys, contain a high percentage of nitrogenous compounds, and produce a more alkaline smoke. The dreaded “burley curse” often results.

If you haven’t seen/read it already, the last post I put up, I found a massive wealth of information on this.

P.S. @khiddy have a read here at my reply… :)

Last edited:
Reactions: The Libertine

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Alkaline smoke is a thing too. You can get tongue bite up front and back of the tongue.

It’s not that Alkaline smoke is a thing too, the issue starts at the leaf PH balance and sugar content.

The bite and irritation is from the higher PH balance of tobacco leaf that is higher in Alkaline content. I guess we could say, that means higher alkaline smoke, but that’s not how you look at it.

The sugar content in the leaf also plays a part in the mouth feel/irritation.

Reactions: The Libertine

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I've never had tongue bite fortunately. I believe you'd want a less alkaline drink over one with more. I'm not a medical doctor or a chemist (not smart enough) so I don't really know.

Yes, less Alkaline, look up and read my replies… :)

Be sure to read the link I posted…

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
You know what’s really sad/crazy? 🤔

In the world of health and nutrition it is good to maintain the PH Balance of the body in a higher Alkaline state/level.

But with tobacco that is higher PH Alkaline, we don’t want more Alkaline in our mouth, we need something more Acidic, if we have tongue bite or mouth irritation.

So, coffee and tea are the simplest choices, since most people around the world drink these. :)

It’s a real conundrum, to balance this issue with our body. 🤔

I drink coffee and various teas when smoking. I also like Yerba Mate, it’s suppose to be less acidic, but I found it really refreshing on the mouth.

I also find Organic India’s Tulsi Tea very nice with my mouth and tongue, especially the Lemon Ginger one.

Last edited:

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
It’s not that Alkaline smoke is a thing too, the issue starts at the leaf PH balance and sugar content.

The bite and irritation is from the higher PH balance of tobacco leaf that is higher in Alkaline content. I guess we could say, that means higher alkaline smoke, but that’s not how you look at it.
So, I'm getting it backwards? OK... 👍

Reactions: PipeIT