PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
There are lots of threads that pop up asking for air purifier and/or indoor smoking recommendations, some of which I lurked on before ordering units for my own home and smoking room/lounge. This led me down a path of buying multiple units, lots of buyers remorse or overblown expectations, and more boxes in my recycling than I’ve ever had. Since I had them all on hand, I decided to put each of them through the same tests. Since this write up is incredibly long, I will post the tests individually as to not overdo the character limit. Moderators, if this is not the preferred way to do this, please let me know, and I will correct it.

Room: 265sqft, well insulated, heated and cooled independently from the rest of the home, with exhaust fans (commercial bathroom-rated). Furniture is all leather with metal frames, tile flooring, no carpet or similar “smell traps”. Windows available, but all closed for all tests.

Units owned and tested: Rabbit Air A3, Medify MA-112, IQAir HealthPro Plus, and AirPura T700.

Test period and average session length: Approx. 2 weeks, per unit, with an average of 1 bowl in the morning and 2-3 bowls per night. I am a “heavy” smoker and it is not unusual for me to pack a bowl in a different pipe shortly (15 to 30 minutes) after one finishes. Blends smoked are typically VaPers or English blends. Occasional Aromatic smoke, but I usually smoke those in the living room as the wife likes (most) of their room notes. Tests featured both the exhaust fans on and off on different weeks to see how the units performed solo vs with exhaust. All machines were left running 24/7 during the entire testing period.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Rabbit Air A3:

I purchased this with the odor filters which feature activated carbon. This unit has likely the least amount of carbon of all tested, with an undisclosed amount on the package. Based on total filter weight, I’d estimate under a half pound. The app is nice and full-featured, with adjustments for fan speed, ionizer, “auto” mode, and more. It is well designed, both in size and appearance, and with the addition of fancy “decor” covers, can find its place in any smoking room. It is the smallest of all units tested.

Testing on week one had the exhaust system on for each smoke, only turned off when leaving the room for the evening. With the exhaust on, this unit performed as expected. The auto system was able to detect the presence of smoke in the room and ramped the fans up accordingly, never getting above the 4 out of 5 speed setting. It is still relatively quiet at this fan speed and conversations can be normal volume. The app reflected the loss in air quality and was reporting as such. As with all units tested, with the exhaust fans on, there is no lingering smoke and by morning, no smoke odors were detected in the room by my non-smoking wife.

Testing on week two had the exhaust system off for each smoke. This is where the Rabbit air seemed to shine in the beginning, but starting to show its faults. The first bowl, the room remains relatively smoke-free from a visual standpoint. Odor of smoke is apparent, but not overpowering. Bowl two began to make the lack of exhaust significantly more apparent. Smoke was visible in the air and the odor was lingering and becoming more intense. My wife was able to pick up on minor smoke odors if she was practically sniffing the door seam. The fan was now at a 5 out of 5 in speed and loud enough conversations with someone in the room would have to be at a full or above full volume, with the machine at 50db, measured. Bowl three only added to the smoke in the air since the machine could not do any more than it was already doing. This third smoke truly began to flood the room with the odors of “stale” smoke, and to a non-smoker, I bet this would border the uncomfortable/unbearable line for being in the room. By morning, especially after a few days of the no exhaust test, left a noticeable but mild smoke odor in the room. At this point, It was likely smoke on surfaces more than lingering in the air, as the machine was advertising “near-excellent” air quality in the room, with particulate matter very low. Come the end of the test, the “clean air” coming from the unit was stuck with a stale tobacco smell, as though the filter was already permeated with smoke and tar.

While I would happily recommend this purifier to those with exhaust, I do not think it would be a viable solution to a smoker without exhaust who plans to smoke multiple bowls in a day or smokes with a friend or spouse. It quickly becomes unable to handle the constant load of smoke thrown at it and shines with ample exhaust. That said, this unit has wonderful features, a user friendly app, cheap (enough) filters, and options my wife liked (such as a germ filter), so it was fully cleaned and received new filters and now resides in my living room, for home use as opposed to smoking use.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
Medify MA-112:

Features the third-highest volume of carbon of my tests, based on panel size, since they do not advertise weights. Total filter weight is sub three pounds, likely featuring a smidge above a pound of carbon, and is multiplied by 2, as this unit features dual-filters. Controls are intuitive and well-placed, however they lack an accompanying app for control remotely. This is a large unit, over two feet tall and nearly a foot and a half wide.

Testing on week one had the exhaust system on for each smoke, only turned off when leaving the room for the evening. At time of purchase, “auto-mode” was no longer featured on this machine. To give it a fair shot, it was placed on the “2” setting for the fan, the middle speed. Like the Rabbit Air, this machine was able to perform well in conjunction with the exhaust fans. Smoke odors were removed quickly, and by my tests, faster than the Rabbit with its dual filters and significantly stronger fans and air movement. However, this strength and speed came with a huge downside: noise. This machine was significantly louder than the Rabbit even on its lowest setting. As with the Rabbit, any discernible smoke odors were gone by morning.

Testing on week two had the exhaust system off for each smoke. Again, as it lacks an auto mode, I ramped up the fans to both the 3 and 4 (max) levels to test the differences. The Medify did better than the Rabbit at capturing smoke from the air with its powerful fan and above-average air movement. I smoke relatively close to the tested air purifiers, and you could visibly see the streams of smoke move towards the unit. However, the air speed of this unit, by bowl 2, began to be this machine's biggest fault. As smoke filled the air in larger and larger quantities, the output of the machine actually seemed to push the smoke around the room as opposed to towards the machine. Fan speed 4 worsened this issue and made this machine's biggest issue unbearable; noise readings on my Apple Watch hovered at 60db. In my smaller room, you would be fighting this machine for a conversation and it was heavily distracting if trying to work alongside it. Just like the Rabbit, tobacco smell lingered towards the end of the test in the morning after evening smokes. I did not notice stale odors leaving the machine and adding to the room odor like I did with the Rabbit, however.

For the noise and airflow reasons above, thanks to Amazon’s return policy, it was sent back after the test period. As I’m sure is the case with most machines, with an exhaust system, it will perform well. However, I could not get over the large increase in noise. As mentioned earlier, I sit pretty close to the machines being tested, increasing the perceived volume as well as causing my lighters to extinguish due to heavy airflows. I would choose the Rabbit Air over this machine if using this in your smoking room or lounge.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023

IQAir HealthPro Plus:

One of the most expensive units tested, and also featuring the second-highest carbon amount (5 pounds, as advertised), this unit is a full-featured air purifier. Coming in just a few inches wider than the Medify, the IQAir is large with a sterile, nearly commercial appearance. It features large, well engineered filters with some of the longest replacement times that I have seen, with some advertised as lasting 4 years. Controls are easy to use and understand and a remote is included. Like the Medify, there is no auto mode.

Testing on week one had the exhaust system on for each smoke, only turned off when leaving the room for the evening. Like all the others tested before this unit, with the exhaust fans on, this unit performed exceptionally well. The speed in which this unit removes odor is impressive. Usually, after my morning smoke, I am not back in the room until my day is over, kids are in bed, etc. I had extra time one day and ended up in the room around lunch time and it was not only odorless, it was “clean” smelling. However, like the Medify, this unit is loud. Tests with exhaust were done with the machine on the middle setting, speed 3. By speed setting 3, it is as loud as the Rabbit Air is at maximum, and that's only half way to the top.

Testing on week two had the exhaust system off for each smoke. Compared to the Rabbit Air and Medify units, this machine handled a smoke filled room, sans exhaust, the best. Large, incredibly dense, filters really shined with this unit on these tests. Like mentioned above, though, the sound is nearly unbearable if you have company in the room or are attempting to work, read, or even watch tv in conjunction with the machine. On these tests, the machine was operated at speeds 4, 5, and 6. On speed 6, decibels as tested with my Apple Watch were over 60db (62.4). The IQAir handled lingering smells the best when compared to the Rabbit and Medify, and by morning, no lingering odors were pleasant, with or without the exhaust fans being used.

Even with the loud volumes, the science behind this machine and its use in healthcare, meant I retired this machine from my smoking room and it now is clean, with new filters, enjoying its life in my finished basement, where my kids play. For most, I still think the Rabbit Air would be the better choice for a smoking room, compared to this machine. While the IQAir is a powerhouse, it is large, loud, and is more targeted towards healthcare and not smokers.

Bdtroch

Lurker
Aug 31, 2023
AirPura T700:

The most expensive machine tested, this machine packs a whopping twenty six pounds of activated carbon and is made of solid, powder coated, steel. This also features a washable tar filter, the only machine on this list to do so. It is as utilitarian as a unit could be; it has an on/off button and a fan speed rotary dial. It is available in three colors (black, white, cream) and is only a few inches taller, yet a few inches thinner, than the Rabbit air, making it tied for the smallest unit tested. Don’t let its simple controls and smaller size deter you; this machine is a real contender.

Testing on week one had the exhaust system on for each smoke, only turned off when leaving the room for the evening. As this has no numbering system for fan speed, I had the dial towards the 1/3 mark on the speed dial. At this speed, it is nearly equivalent in noise to the Rabbit Air and marginally quieter than the Medify and IQAir. Smoke odors were removed faster than all units I have previously tested. Airflow is directed through the lower portion of the unit and leaves at the top, evenly distributed as a “ring” around the unit. As with others tested, no odors were left by morning

Testing on week two had the exhaust system off for each smoke. This unit was able to handle a smoke filled room, sans exhaust, even better than the IQAir, which places it top of the units I tested. It rapidly captures smoke from the room and sends it down towards its filters. At the 3/4 setting on the dial, it matches the Rabbit Air in maximum volumes right at approx. 50db. The efficiency of this unit, thanks to its large carbon fiber filter and tar catching prefilter, caused me to not find it necessary to turn the unit to its maximum speed. However, as with all tests, I ramped it up to its max to get a noise reading which tops out at 60.2db. Come morning, the room was odorless, and was the only unit to pass the wife’s test when used without an exhaust fan.

The T700 still resides in my smoking room to this day and I highly recommend this unit to anyone building a smoking room. Compared to the others in this test, it is the only tobacco focused unit with tar filters, large amounts of activated carbon, and an available impregnated carbon option if you need even heavier duty filtration. If you have an exhaust fan, this unit will be perfect to remove lingering odors and put the final touch on the room. If you can not add an exhaust to your room of choice, this will help remove smoke from the air better than any other unit (except commercial units, of course) that I tested, especially on smaller rooms.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Wow! Extremely interesting. I use a Conway 400 and have had similar results to the Rabbit. I have looked for test/reviews like this when I was looking to buy. Thank you for your efforts.
I use the Conway 1512 - I decided I wanted something else that could do a better job with smoke and the Molekule an overpriced purifier I had didn't quite cut it. Sizewise the Conway 1500 is around the same as the rabbit air, maybe a little thicker but has a good size carbon filter and moves a ton of air.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Interesting and thank you. I don't use an air cleaner in my smoking room. Instead I have a window mounted a/c and an exhaust bathroom fan that sucks air outside. This seems to work somewhat but I do have a dusty smoking room. A while back I bought an Orick Air Purified compact series at a garage sale. It runs, but I have never really done a test with it. I figured I would save it and if my sucker fan fails (it's over 20 years old) I would use the cleaner till I got the fan fixed. Fingers crossed! puffy

81lD29nE6QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
I missed this thread when before I started another, after searching forum for "HEPA."

Great information. Thanks.

alexishector

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
AirPura T700:

The most expensive machine tested, this machine packs a whopping twenty six pounds of activated carbon and is made of solid, powder coated, steel. This also features a washable tar filter, the only machine on this list to do so. It is as utilitarian as a unit could be; it has an on/off button and a fan speed rotary dial. It is available in three colors (black, white, cream) and is only a few inches taller, yet a few inches thinner, than the Rabbit air, making it tied for the smallest unit tested. Don’t let its simple controls and smaller size deter you; this machine is a real contender.

Testing on week one had the exhaust system on for each smoke, only turned off when leaving the room for the evening. As this has no numbering system for fan speed, I had the dial towards the 1/3 mark on the speed dial. At this speed, it is nearly equivalent in noise to the Rabbit Air and marginally quieter than the Medify and IQAir. Smoke odors were removed faster than all units I have previously tested. Airflow is directed through the lower portion of the unit and leaves at the top, evenly distributed as a “ring” around the unit. As with others tested, no odors were left by morning

Testing on week two had the exhaust system off for each smoke. This unit was able to handle a smoke filled room, sans exhaust, even better than the IQAir, which places it top of the units I tested. It rapidly captures smoke from the room and sends it down towards its filters. At the 3/4 setting on the dial, it matches the Rabbit Air in maximum volumes right at approx. 50db. The efficiency of this unit, thanks to its large carbon fiber filter and tar catching prefilter syracuseenergysystems.com, caused me to not find it necessary to turn the unit to its maximum speed. However, as with all tests, I ramped it up to its max to get a noise reading which tops out at 60.2db. Come morning, the room was odorless, and was the only unit to pass the wife’s test when used without an exhaust fan.

The T700 still resides in my smoking room to this day and I highly recommend this unit to anyone building a smoking room. Compared to the others in this test, it is the only tobacco focused unit with tar filters, large amounts of activated carbon, and an available impregnated carbon option if you need even heavier duty filtration. If you have an exhaust fan, this unit will be perfect to remove lingering odors and put the final touch on the room. If you can not add an exhaust to your room of choice, this will help remove smoke from the air better than any other unit (except commercial units, of course) that I tested, especially on smaller rooms.
This Friday my daughter will have a fungal ball removed from her sphenoid sinus. I am cleaning her bedroom today so that she has fresh air to breathe moving forward. Our yellow lab sleeps in her room and the doctor said to get the dog out. So once I rid the room of dust and dog hair, replace the mattress (it's 19 years old), wash all fabric items, etc., I feel like I should run an air filter in her room to keep the air cleaner. Any recommendations on air purifiers? Our doc recommended Air Oasis products. In case you are wondering, I have considered mold. But to be honest, there isn't a darn thing I can do about it right now if I find mold b/c of financial constraints. So we will have to manage our environment in other ways.