PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Matsui

Lurker
Jun 12, 2020
Two separate issues here. I don't think churchwarden pipes have any kind of social image. Except for pipe clubs and the few pipe shops that have permission to smoke, pipe smoking isn't a social activity, so it really has no social image. So you're fine with your churchwarden. Personally, I really like churchwardens for smoking while reading or otherwise sitting meditatively in a chair. In terms of eyesight, your dilemma could be addressed with trifocal or transitional glasses that would give you a graduated range of vision for all your life activities. A lot of folks, as they age, resist this because if offends their vanity to wear glasses full time, or because the period of adaptation seems daunting. I've had transitional lenses since my fifties, and glasses feel okay related to my self-image. Just know that you don't have to struggle with this vision situation; you have options.
I have been thinking about getting a churchwarden for a few years, but have never decided on exactly what style I wanted. I agree that it does seem a little bit pretentious to smoke one. However, I also agree that pipe smoking is something I do alone for the most part. And I don't smoke a pipe to impress anyone. As you all know, it is something we do for ourselves. I have several cobs too. Don't mind if people see me smoking one of those. Nothing pretentious about a cob. Now, my kids might call me a hobbit if they ever saw me smoking a churchwarden, but they love me all the same.

Reactions: edger and Magpiety

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Another good thing about churchwardens is that they make it harder to blow out your match if you forget to hold the pipe to one side while lighting it, or deliberately blow the blast of air out the other side of your mouth.

If a churchwarden is too "presumptuous" or "pretentious," you can always go to the Dixie Gun Works website and order one of their models of peace pipes. They have one of Brass, and 2 or 3 of steel.

Reactions: Jacob74

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I've been wearing glasses since 10th grade. I should have worn it since 6th, but the streets of NYC with a kid with glasses can be a cruel place. If I need to see my bowl while lighting the tobacco, I just lower my glasses.

Reactions: edger

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The history of the churchwarden pipes date back about two hundred years before the LOTR series were written. The name for example, is an apt description of who was known to use the long stemmed pipes - Church Wardens. There are also various stories about why they are long:

1. Churches were left open at night but usually had a guard. The long stemmed pipes were smoked so that the smoke wouldn't interfere with the warden's vision.
2. The pipes had long stems so the smoker could rest the bowl on the church pew in front of him, leaving his hands free to hold the bible.
3. Pipe smokers attending service would sit at the end of the pew and rest the bowl on the open windowsill so the smoke would drift outside.

Another interesting story I remember reading is that the long stemmed pipes actually were favored by Hussar cavalry troops in eastern Europe. Supposedly, the smoked the long stemmed pipes while on horseback and would just lean over in the saddle so a footman could light the pipe for them.

I'm not saying any of this is historically accurate, but are stories that I've come across that are not necessarily on wikipedia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the MM cob long stemmed pipes look good. I have a supply of cobs, one equipped with a long Forever stem, but if you want a low-key looking long stemmed pipe, MM has them.

Reactions: anantaandroscoggin