PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jrsower

Lurker
Jun 13, 2020
Southeast United States
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Not sure if I’m actually asking a question here or just throwing this out for discussion but, my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Reading glasses are never outside of arms reach at my age.

I started out with several different pipe shapes and for a while enjoyed the hunt for another pipe that was different or unusual. But having to put my glasses on to light and relight is tiring and frustrating.

So now I find myself almost exclusively smoking medium length church wardens.
I know many consider church wardens a bit Hoity Toity or pompous. But in truth they are turning out to be just simply the easiest for me to smoke.
Just thought I’d ask if anyone else has come to the same conclusion that I have....church wardens actually work best for older eyesight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
I am a fan of them, I have a couple I use now and then. I prefer the regular just for portability sake. However, I do love to sit in my chair or on the balcony and lean back and just let my churchwarden rest on my chest. I am far sited myself and wear contacts. I know for a fact on occasion when I wear my glasses it is easier for me to smoke the CW due to my glasses cutting off the field of view for my regular pipes.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
That this works for you is ample justification for smoking a churchwarden. As far as some folks considering churchwardens a hoity-toity ... well, since when does your average pipe smoker give a crap what other people think? ;)

It might not work for me, though. It’s very different, smoking a churchwadren, both in how I smoke and what I smoke in them, and I can really only do it sitting back, with my feet propped up, and a certain kind of beverage within reach. I‘ve also been at this pipe smoking thing so long, I have a lot of muscle memory at play and I’m accustomed to relighting the blurry image of my bowl (I’m similarly afflicted with post-middle-age farsightedness). But that’s just me.

Not a bad suggestion, though.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've never really thought about it but it does seem to put the bowl in an easy to see location. I love churchwardens and have probably a dozen or so. In fact, I was smoking some GH&C Scotch Flake in my Dunhill churchwarden just last night. I might have to repeat the pipe and blend tonight if my daughter falls asleep soon enough.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not sure if I’m actually asking a question here or just throwing this out for discussion but, my eyes aren’t what they used to be. Reading glasses are never outside of arms reach at my age.

I started out with several different pipe shapes and for a while enjoyed the hunt for another pipe that was different or unusual. But having to put my glasses on to light and relight is tiring and frustrating.

So now I find myself almost exclusively smoking medium length church wardens.
I know many consider church wardens a bit Hoity Toity or pompous. But in truth they are turning out to be just simply the easiest for me to smoke.
Just thought I’d ask if anyone else has come to the same conclusion that I have....church wardens actually work best for older eyesight.
yes even with young eyes they're the easiest pipes to get a good even light on with zero eye strain. I personally think they're a great style of pipe. And despite what people say I do think the longer stem seems to change the smoking experience (not really cool, but there seems to be a consistent change in flavor across the ones I've smoked. Almost more blended and married if that makes sense).

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I love them. They are easy to light and keep an eye on. Early on and even now when I am drinking alot (which isn't often, but not unheard of) I have knocked shorter pipes out of my mouth and/or just had embers fly. The warden is so long it is always 'present' and I have never been a dingaling with one of those.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: ophiuchus and BROBS

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two separate issues here. I don't think churchwarden pipes have any kind of social image. Except for pipe clubs and the few pipe shops that have permission to smoke, pipe smoking isn't a social activity, so it really has no social image. So you're fine with your churchwarden. Personally, I really like churchwardens for smoking while reading or otherwise sitting meditatively in a chair. In terms of eyesight, your dilemma could be addressed with trifocal or transitional glasses that would give you a graduated range of vision for all your life activities. A lot of folks, as they age, resist this because if offends their vanity to wear glasses full time, or because the period of adaptation seems daunting. I've had transitional lenses since my fifties, and glasses feel okay related to my self-image. Just know that you don't have to struggle with this vision situation; you have options.

Reactions: Magpiety and BROBS

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I had a churchwarden that I ended up giving to my son as I simply didn't smoke it very often. I ended up with one pipe that came with an additional long stem and having one made for another. This allows me to smoke them much more often but still have a churchwarden when I occasionally feel like smoking one. I guess I have three if you count the Vermont Freehand stem I got for my cobs; it's like a shorty church. Smoke what works and what you enjoy!

Reactions: BROBS

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I’ve owned 4 church wardens over the years ended up gifting them. They just weren’t for me. They smoke fine I just didn’t care for them. As to glasses I can’t see shit without mine maybe I’ll get a cobbit on my next tad order.

Reactions: wyfbane and Elric