PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I smoked my first pipe when I was around 22 or so years old. I smoked one bowl of probably Lane 1Q in a corncob pipe my buddy got me as a gag gift. Some 15ish years later I bought my first pipe some more Lane 1Q and have been at it for the last 15 or 16 years.

Reactions: fMf Piper
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
It’s harmless. The mistake was when @metalheadycigarguy mentioned the point system for your little title under your name. After that, the floodgates opened. I guess he thinks there’s some type of credibility associated with the title. I’m loving proof that it means absolutely nothing.
I was answering the guys question, and giving a tongue and cheek answer.

I couldn't care less about my title. Heck, mine says "Lifer" but I was absent from this forum for a couple years, so clearly not a "Lifer."

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Agreed. I was 12 when I started smoking cigarettes.
I was 9 when I started smoking cigarettes. Preoccupied parents and juvenile delinquent next door neighbors were to blame. The younger of the neighbors, who was my age, died in prison several years back. Their parents smoked so it was easy enough to get them. We would also get the occasional pack from vending machines, and if we were really hard up we would smoke butts scrounged from under the school bleachers.

I had already kicked the habit by age 12.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I was 9 when I started smoking cigarettes. Preoccupied parents and juvenile delinquent next door neighbors were to blame. The younger of the neighbors, who was my age, died in prison several years back. Their parents smoked so it was easy enough to get them. We would also get the occasional pack from vending machines, and if we were really hard up we would smoke butts scrounged from under the school bleachers.

I had already kicked the habit by age 12.
The friend that got me hooked on cigarettes (bought me my first pack) died in a motorcycle accident over 20 years ago. We used to scrounge butts when I was a teenager too. Yuck. I was about 19 when I quit smoking the first time around. Then I joined the military and picked up the habit again at boot camp. I didn't smoke any tobacco products for a decade, but as my 40th birthday approached I bought myself a Peterson 80s and some EMP. About 7 years in now.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
15 or 16 probably. But that was having a pipe and trying it. Certainly not becoming a smoker. I worked at Chief Catoonah tobacco as a teen and the owner gave me a pipe ( that my poodle ate later). And he tried to introduce me to smoking. Well at the time I believe it was highland blackwatch that I smoked in the shop and I did it poorly and it made me drool. But I kept the pipe and I continued to work the shop without smoking it. But that was my first time trying this little hobby.

RonM

Lurker
Mar 6, 2023
Tried pipe smoking briefly in my late 20s but didn’t stick with it for long. Pulled the pipes back out a year or so ago, at about 65, and have since been smoking them but only occasionally. Never smoked cigarettes other than trying them as a teen to look cool but never started regularly. Probably haven’t had more than one full pack of cigarettes in my life. I’ve gone through periods of smoking cigars over the years, but haven’t had one in quite awhile.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Tried smoking my first pipe at 14. Not an awesome initial experience, but liked it well enough to try again with a new Medico and some Borkum Riff. Liked it more, added a Dr. G to my "collection," and learned the ins and outs by smoking mostly in secret through high school. Thoroughly enjoyed my pipes and the quiet thrill of being a rare teenage pipe smoker. First year of college brought a new level of enjoyment: At 18, I could hang out in tobacco shops, buy better tobacco, and smoke as much as I liked.