PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Got this order in last week. Took a around 3 weeks to get here but was in good shape. The entire order was 277 euros with 42 euros charged for shipping. I believe it was 1.9 kgram so not too bad. I think it worked out to be around $4.75 per ounce. The Capstan Blue alone would have cost around $250 buying it here in 50 gram tins. Not accounting for shipping, buying the 2 450 gr boxes of Capstan Blue was $107 from Estervals.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
Outstanding price for the Capstan. I really need to place an order ?.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yep, although @ $40 just for shipping, I can see why one wouldn't want to buy only 1-2 tins. Still, getting dinged in the hundreds would really suck!
My usual way of looking at it is that I anticipate that I'll get dinged and if not its a bonus. I don't purchase unless I know I can cover the damage if it does get caught.

I think @hoosierpipeguy has the right idea about maximizing the amount purchased to amortize the shipping costs down.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My usual way of looking at it is that I anticipate that I'll get dinged and if not its a bonus. I don't purchase unless I know I can cover the damage if it does get caught.

I think @hoosierpipeguy has the right idea about maximizing the amount purchased to amortize the shipping costs down.
Oh, yes. As I've said in the past, I'm not fully opposed to paying duties; what I'm opposed to is to be legally robbed, which is what the duty charges are sometimes. The main problem is the lack of rhyme or reason from customs: yeah, there's a set excise rate somewhere but I've not seen it being followed: it's all very arbitrary, and this is what gives one pause: not knowing, exactly or roughly, how much the ding is gonna be.

On one purchase from SPC I was dinged. Fine, I paid up. Next purchase I was dinged three times what I paid the previous time, even though it was the same amount of merchandise: I refused and sent it back.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Years ago, before you could get Semois here in the states, I ordered some from a tobacconist in Belgium. When the package arrived, I was a little surprised to find a birthday card enclosed with my order. Then it occurred to me that he was trying to do me a favor, in case my package had gotten intercepted by customs. I have no idea how effective that plan would have worked out...maybe not at all? I have yet to receive anything else shipped from Europe employing that birthday ruse, but I thought it was funny and clever at the time.

Reactions: olkofri

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Next purchase I was dinged three times what I paid the previous time, even though it was the same amount of merchandise: I refused and sent it back.

I've found that generally if they do catch it they only apply the GST/HST portion. I did get caught last year for about 3 pounds, and they actually overcharged me on the tobacco tax. I did not refuse the package, but paid and then submitted a dispute to CBSA (you need to hold onto that form they stick on the package if you want to do this). It took about 2 months but I got the extra $$ back from them. I realize this is not always simple for everyone as I engage in similar types of disputes for a living.

Did the vendor at least give you credit for the returned merch?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've found that generally if they do catch it they only apply the GST/HST portion. I did get caught last year for about 3 pounds, and they actually overcharged me on the tobacco tax. I did not refuse the package, but paid and then submitted a dispute to CBSA (you need to hold onto that form they stick on the package if you want to do this). It took about 2 months but I got the extra $$ back from them. I realize this is not always simple for everyone as I engage in similar types of disputes for a living.

Did the vendor at least give you credit for the returned merch?
Yes. Full refund. Which irked me even more when later on I found out they actually lost money when the post charged them twice for shipping.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Broke down and ordered 2 kilos worth of HU Tobacco, Hal O The Wynd, and filters. Their cheap price on 9mm charcoal filters allows the shipping to pay for itself. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.