Advice on Buying First Pipe for My Husband?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I’d pick the shape I liked from this list:

Add in a pack of pipe cleaners:

And a pipe tool:

Finally a stand:

That’s a start. No matches or leaf to burn in that set, but it’s all under $50.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Last edited:

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Olkofri’s suggestion to get a Rossi with a balsa filter is probably good advice. It will make learning to smoke a pipe easier. If he ever outgrows them he can smoke without the filter or add an adapter that replaces them. I went that route and still prefer using balsa. 100 packs are inexpensive, maybe $10 or so.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum, and I know almost nothing about tobacco pipes...hoping to get some help from all the experts here.

My husband’s birthday is coming up and I wanted to buy him his first pipe, he knows just a little about the pipes as I do but ALWAYS wanted one. I did some internet search before posting this and learned that cobs seem to be the favorite to people. However, my husband has a taste for wood made/traditional look pipes. There are so many brands out there and I really don’t know how to pick. My budget is within $50.

Can you please give me some advice on possible brand/type of pipes that’s within this budget and hopefully comes as a set?

Thank you so much.
Looks like you got some great options. Let us all know what you decide.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I just want to pile on with the Rossi suggestions, the Vittoria line is in that range:

The pics here don't do them justice. I just got this one in the mail, and it's much sexier in person. Some of of the photography on these sandblast models makes them look like burnt up charcoal briquettes.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
First.... let me say..... how wonderful that you are encouraging his interests!!!!

Second.... a pipe without some pipe tobacco is only a showpiece. Are you considering some pipe tobacco as well in the gift? If so, does your husband have much if any prior tobacco experience? If so, what might that be? If he has no prior experience, there may be tobaccos that are better suited.... or if he has some experience in tobacco, that may shape what he may like in PIPE tobacco. So, your response there could help us provide potentially some additional guidance.

Now, this is just my opinion.... but IMO a good first pipe is some sort of full-bent billiard style, smooth bowled briar. It is a classic shape that looks “traditional” to most folks. It will likely hit all the right “pipe notes” of what he may envision.

That said.... do not be surprised if he really loves what you get.... but QUICKLY may want to further experiment with other shapes, and sizes of pipes.... and immerse deeply into an array of pipe tobaccos.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
let me say..... how wonderful that you are encouraging his interests!!!!

Also want to second this. Pipe smoking a few times a week has been the most meditative activity I've ever been able to work into my routine. Any encouragement helps with something like that.