Advice on Buying First Pipe for My Husband?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Magicorchid

Lurker
Feb 22, 2020
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum, and I know almost nothing about tobacco pipes...hoping to get some help from all the experts here.

My husband’s birthday is coming up and I wanted to buy him his first pipe, he knows just a little about the pipes as I do but ALWAYS wanted one. I did some internet search before posting this and learned that cobs seem to be the favorite to people. However, my husband has a taste for wood made/traditional look pipes. There are so many brands out there and I really don’t know how to pick. My budget is within $50.

Can you please give me some advice on possible brand/type of pipes that’s within this budget and hopefully comes as a set?

Thank you so much.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
First off 7FA98F50-E98E-4707-A7D0-1FBA93B8199A.jpeg
Secondly, you can use the pipe locator on Smokingpipes.com to get some great results. I’d steer you toward Rossi, Morgan Bones (as stated above) or an estate pipe that has been restored and sanitized. Estates are a better value, IMO, as a higher quality pipe can be purchased for less. I’d stay away from cobs, clay, or most anything available for that price on Amazon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of the former sponsors of this site, pipesandcigars.com, has a sale for Crown pipes for $24.99. These are basic pipes in traditional designs, and you might well find one he (and you) will like. The other suggestions already posted are excellent; I have two Rossi pipes and they are fine pipes at moderate prices. If he wants a second pipe later, and he'd like a cob, I'd highly recommend buying one of the special edition pipes at the missourimeerschaum.com site that has an acrylic stem. These are about $24.99, instead of $8 or $12, but the stem will not chew out in years, so are a fine value. There are many fine pipes that come on discount within your budget, but I'd stick with something recommended here, since there are some bad cheap pipes you don't want. Kind of you to take such time and care with this gift!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'd second the suggestion for Rossi. They have two lines that go for less (though not much less) than $50, and are made by one of the most well-regarded pipe manufacturers (Savinelli) in the world. I'd also suggest one of these Burners by Scott's Pipes, they have sandblasts that tend to go for right around $50, and smooth finishes that seem to be an extra $10 or so.

Buying an estate pipe as mentioned above - will give you maximum value per $ spent

Having said that, I personally don’t like giving used items as gifts. If you are like that, I think a new Rossi pipe will give you best bang for your buck.

I have never owned/smoked personally but I have only heard good things about the brand in this forum

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I know this is over $50 but the lower priced of Genod are a great value... and a super high quality pipe for the money.

or for under $50 some of these Ropp pipes would be pretty decent.. go for one with thicker walls.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
I know this is over $50 but the lower priced of Genod are a great value... and a super high quality pipe for the money.

or for under $50 some of these Ropp pipes would be pretty decent.. go for one with thicker walls.
A side note on the ropp. I own three. All of the Ropps i own tend toward loose tenons. That rossi suggestion is spot on. Good smokers. Here's on that I own and like: at $47.60 a good deal. Rossi Rubino (8320) (6mm) | Buy Rossi Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=344381

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Welcome and kudos on doing this research to buy your husband a gift he will appreciate and get the best service out of, also for supporting him in this interest. I appreciate my wife’s interest and the pipes and tobacco she has given me as gifts. Some of my favourite pipes that have the most meaning to me are gifts from my wife.

There is plenty of sound advice here, you will have to let us know what you decide on and what your husband thinks. All the best with your decision.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
First off View attachment 20305
Secondly, you can use the pipe locator on Smokingpipes.com to get some great results. I’d steer you toward Rossi, Morgan Bones (as stated above) or an estate pipe that has been restored and sanitized. Estates are a better value, IMO, as a higher quality pipe can be purchased for less. I’d stay away from cobs, clay, or most anything available for that price on Amazon.

I strongly ’second’ this advice.

Head over to smokingpipes.com and around the search box you should see a “Pipe Locater” button. Click on that and you will then see a “Filter” button. Click “Filter” and you’ll see many parameters to search on, one being price ;)

Were I you, this is exactly what I’d do. You know your husband and what he likes. There should be plenty of different pipes from which to choose.

Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd head over to smokingpipes.com and look at the Rossi's. I'd go for the Rubino line, as they use a balsa filter, which can greatly help a beginner in checking the dreaded tongue bite/burn, plus they look quite elegant for the price. If you were to buy one to-day or to-morrow you'd benefit from the 15% off of the current sale.

If this is a gift: I'd buy him a brand new pipe, not something second-hand.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
If this is a gift: I'd buy him a brand new pipe, not something second-hand.
I second this advice. "Estate pipe" is just a fancy term for "used pipe." Although there are deals to be had on estate pipes, there can be many hidden issues in an estate pipe, especially for a buyer who does not know pipes. I'd stick with new.

I agree with the above advice to use the SmokingPipes.com pipe locater. Narrow down your search by selecting "Briar" and "Other" (for corncob pipes) under the "Material" tab to greatly reduce the available options.

There are several good brands recommended already, and I'll add to the recommendations for a Rossi. I have one and I love it.

Good luck!