PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
The other thing to note here is that, if you haven't yet acquired a taste for perique, VaPers made by C&D are going to be especially off-putting.

Because Cornell & Diehl owns their own parish in Louisiana, they have an added level of quality control than other manufacturers. They're the only brand that guarantees that their perique is 100% St James Parrish perique.

I asked Jeremy Reeves at this past Muletown show what he meant by 100% and his answer was enlightening. Part of the perique process is stuffing the local leaves into a barrel for aging, where they sit for quite some time. In order to save on cost and stretch out the supply, other manufacturers stuff more than just perique leaves into those barrels. Then stuff Virginias and burleys and other leaves into the barrels and then they'll call it perique anyhow.

While perhaps untruthful, it does learn the aggressiveness of the perique. If you haven't yet acquired the taste, though, this adulteration isn't necessarily a bad thing, and can make the component more approachable.

Wow, didn't expect this much replies from all of you!
And thanks everyone for their advices, I have found that smoking VaPer in a briar that I'd been smoking PS 52 Proper English in turned out pretty tasty, I am not really sure if it was because the cake of English built up or not, but finally I can enjoy a bowl of Bayou Morning. Really looking foward to enjoy LBF next because everyone I know that smoke a pipe love it!

like @seanv I'd stick to enjoying the Billy Budd and some burleys coming from cigarettes then eventually you'll develop a taste for the more exotic flavor profiles
overall don't beat yourself up for not liking something - people come in and out of these palettes
I also got Star of the East but it didn't give me as much enjoyment as Billy, but damn did it hit hard with vitamin N.

The other thing to note here is that, if you haven't yet acquired a taste for perique, VaPers made by C&D are going to be especially off-putting.

Because Cornell & Diehl owns their own parish in Louisiana, they have an added level of quality control than other manufacturers. They're the only brand that guarantees that their perique is 100% St James Parrish perique.

I asked Jeremy Reeves at this past Muletown show what he meant by 100% and his answer was enlightening. Part of the perique process is stuffing the local leaves into a barrel for aging, where they sit for quite some time. In order to save on cost and stretch out the supply, other manufacturers stuff more than just perique leaves into those barrels. Then stuff Virginias and burleys and other leaves into the barrels and then they'll call it perique anyhow.

While perhaps untruthful, it does learn the aggressiveness of the perique. If you haven't yet acquired the taste, though, this adulteration isn't necessarily a bad thing, and can make the component more approachable.
Thank you, this was very enlightenment. I am really looking forward to try many more kind of blends from C&D, as their products are the most available in my country. Currently setting my eyes on Mountain Camp and Stratfordshire. Also looking at PS24 Nougat and 4th Generation Afternoon Melange as well.

Reactions: jbfrady
While I encourage your samplings, I advise you to get one large amount of one blend, preferably something in the codger burley based line, and smoke lots of it until you begin to hone your packing, puffing, and palate. It may surprise you to find new flavors in the same blend after having smoked it awhile.
I guess the reason I suggest a codger blend is due to their popularity and longevity, but any burley based blend can suffice. Burley usually bites less, provides more nicotine.
Unfortunately OTC or codger blend such as Captain Black or Borkum Riff is not readily available in my country except their cigarillos, only Peter Stokkebye and C&D are the most easily found. Still I am trying to expand my flavor profiles and tobacco types as best as I could.

By the way has anyone have any information on Dan Tobacco Alter Friese (previously knows as Frische Brise)? I had turned Google upside down and can't find much useful information on it. Was gifted a half-full tin of the tobacco and it smell like an Aromatic with vanilla note, but some sites say it's a English blend with Danish influence. It consists mainly of light and medium brown Virginias with Latakia.

jbfrady

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
By the way has anyone have any information on Dan Tobacco Alter Friese (previously knows as Frische Brise)? I had turned Google upside down and can't find much useful information on it. Was gifted a half-full tin of the tobacco and it smell like an Aromatic with vanilla note, but some sites say it's a English blend with Danish influence. It consists mainly of light and medium brown Virginias with Latakia.
Neither tobaccoreviews.com nor Estervals lists much info on it. But from what little I can find, it seems like a great tin for a new smoker.

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
Drucquer and Sons Blairgowrie. The "English" components sit in the background, and it will be a good crossover. It is one of my favorites. However, it is ok to never like VaPers. Pierre Chenet will not haunt you in your sleep.

Reactions: SaigonPipeEnjoyer

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC

I have Dan Tobacco last digital catalog for 2019. On page 74 it has a blend named Alter Pinnas. Could this be it? It does use some very old font style on the tin making it hard to read. Here is the page in question. If this is correct I believe it is in current production, Estervals had it recently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804_202006_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240804_202006_Drive.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123