PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 24, 2020
USA
A bit of background first.

I had an uncle who smoked pipes. Despite all the relatives nagging him constantly, he lived to a ripe old age of 94. Was in the Army and a veteran of WWI and the border war with Mexico. This Uncle was a HEAVY pipe smoker (and an inhaler smoker).

You don't need advice, you need time.

Check out Smokingpipes.com | Tobacco Pipes - Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/. Learn, don't be afraid to try and don't be timid. If something doesn' work, as in all walks of like, try again.

I number one suggestion? Learn how to prepare a smoke to smoke. It takes practice, but once you have it, it unleashes all the pleasures of pipe smoking.

What tobaccos to smoke, you need to learn that on your own. But, I suggest you use their tobacco finder to start slow and work your way to your comfort level. Don't smoke for 1 or 2 days or weeks and make a decision. Pipe smoking is NOT cigarette smoking. Smoke slowly, enjoy and "sip" your bowl of tobacco.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Throw all your aromatics in the trash bin and light them on fire.
Bend over bin and inhale. But in all seriousness (I know, me being serious) buy a Berger lamp, best pipe smokers accessory ever. You light up that bad boy and in under five minutes, poof no tobacco smell. Guaranteed. They are the reason I’m still a happily married pipe smoker82FE25A2-CFC9-41C7-83BB-A4415684ADF3.gif

Oct 24, 2020
USA
I slightly agree here. You have to decide as a smoker what YOU want. Start off with mild tobaccos. If you journey to pipe tobaccos with flavors, it's YOUR choice. Don't listen to any of us! lol. Your smoke should be YOUR choice. Simple, plain and simple.

However, don't smoke one and move on. Buy a Carter &Hall, give it time, smoke it to finish. Pipe smoking is NOT an instant gratification endeavor. Buy one or two tobaccos, and finish both. Learn to properly load the bowl, smoke and enjoy. That may take you 3, 4, or more months. Enjoy the smoking, DON'T rush!

Pipe smoking is not about "quick". Enjoy your smoke. If you don't enjoy the smoke,figure out why

Give your pipe and your mouth a chance.

Don't overload it, go steady and easy.

Give pipe a chance! :)

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Forget those goopy blends. They are cased with PG and darn near cannot be dried - lots of tongue bite. Get a quality blend like Peterson University flake that has a flavoring, but is not cased. Smokes and dries like a regular tobacco, but has a subtle plum topping.
Good suggestion.
Throw all your aromatics in the trash bin and light them on fire.
Bend over bin and inhale. But in all seriousness (I know, me being serious) buy a Berger lamp, best pipe smokers accessory ever. You light up that bad boy and in under five minutes, poof no tobacco smell. Guaranteed. They are the reason I’m still a happily married pipe smokerView attachment 48308
I would say that I've heard from wives it doesn't kill all the smell but takes it down to more of a hint that doesn't linger. So in other words depending on how sensitive the wives smeller is will determine how well it will work.

Reactions: Ted the Chilehead