PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm comfortable with slowing down. Hell, I'd be happy to puff every 2 minutes if that would lead to a more enjoyable pipe. However, I'm still chasing that balance between slowing down & relighting 1,000 times or smoking a bit faster & ending up with a less flavorful (and often wet) bowl. I'm also slowly growing convinced that no one here gets these things to smoke well and this forum, along with SmokingPipes.com and TobaccoReviews.com, is all part of some elaborate prank that's being perpetrated against me. ?

This fellow may be of help to you.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
With those particular blends. Nuke em in the microwave on a paper towel for 10 or 12 seconds. Take em out, stick em right into the freezer for another 30 or so seconds. Pack your pipe, smoke it.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I rarely get through a bowl without at least a few relights, but I've had no problem keeping goopy aros (Molto Dolce) burning just as well as any other blend by using a very light pack. I basically just sprinkle it in there bit by bit until it's piled up above the rim, gently push it down so it's level with the rim, and then light up. It's barely packed, and you could probably turn it upside down and shake it all out if the stuff wasn't so goopy that it sticks together puffy
Thanks for that. Definitely a useful description of just *how* light you approach packing.

Think of it as smoking at the edge of letting it go out. Relights aren't inherently bad, but yeh, you have to keep a slow, smooth pull going, think of it as sipping the smoke. Thin wispy trails of smoke... It's really hard to translate pipes into words.
Thanks again for all the guidance. It's very much appreciated.

This fellow may be of help to you.
I've watched that video more than a few times, and need to build that into more of a habit. As I'm find myself reading more, I find that technique easier to employ.

I'm pretty sure that without this forum, the only thing I would have figured out on my own is at what temperature briar burns. ? ? ?

Cheers.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
With those particular blends. Nuke em in the microwave on a paper towel for 10 or 12 seconds. Take em out, stick em right into the freezer for another 30 or so seconds. Pack your pipe, smoke it.
Freezer? Hadn't heard that before. May I ask why?

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
It's a cold, low humidity environment that will help dry out the moisture the microwave got agitated in the tobacco. As well as help cool it down faster. That's my take on it anyway.