PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
My new mobile wallpaperšŸ˜ But on second thought, that could be a dude with a mustache in the top half of the picā˜¹ļø Nevermind, a.knee-jerk reaction. The leg does scream feminine

Masculine/feminine do not mean male/female. There are men with feminine traits that are still men. Hell, the 80's was all about men looking feminine with earrings and long hair, tight leather pants, and there are women that have masculine traits. this is all not new. Our founding fathers had feminine clothes, lacey neck things, poofy wigs, and face powders. This has nothing to do with whether a noun is male or female in Romance languages... languages based off of Latin, like French, Italian, Spanish, etc... Germanic languages have some, but not very many noun gender signifiers.

Freud breaks down why some things are male and some are female, and it is not because they look feminine or masculine, but because of how we use them. So stop being stupid. Despite what you may think of Freud, he was a genius at reviving lost knowledge that was no longer appropriate to talk about in school at the time. So, we forgot why we have male and female "words."

Ok, to make this simple, lets go to the hardware store. Bolts go into things in the way we use them. These are like a male penis going into a vagina. Bolts are male parts. Nuts have things go into them, like a vagina. These are female parts. When you go to the hardware store and buy parts for pipes, they are labeled male and female for the same reason. Stop being stupid.

A chair, you set "in". It is a female. A pencil violates the paper, it is a male and the paper is a female. Ships, you get inside of... Female. A pipe... you put tobacco inside the pipe to use it. It is a female. It has nothing to do with masculine or feminine traits. It is how it is used.

Some words get a little tricky, because the way we use them have changed over the years. Or, because of the way we use them in a sentence.

English speakers are the stupidest when we discuss this sort of thing. They get all caught up in... "it doesn't look feminine." This to me is funnier than the jokes they make, because the guys who want to make a pipe into a male thing are thusly putting dicks in their mouths.

I blame the 80's and those heavy metal crossdressers thinking that looking like a woman whore is all tough and manly for causing a lot of the problems we have today with all of these gender identification problems. I am a man, who wants to look like a woman, dress like a woman tramp that wants to be used by a man... screams like a woman to demonic sounds of chaos... use drugs, break down social norms... and people blame Sesame Street? No. I blame heavy metal cross dressing male lesbian drug using talentless douche bags... that think they are tough like a street hooker. Bikers who wear leather and set on huge vibrators and go to bars to be with other leather clad men with beards and moustaches.

Hell, in the 80's, the gay men looked more like real men than the tough guy wanna be street hookers.

The only reason any semblance of men and women exist today is because a few of us listen to John Cougar. Because Even Country music was long haired men embracing other long haired men... they just wore cowboy hats... which by the way made them look like cowboys who were men who spent long amounts of time with other men... which is weird as hell to me. puffy

There... I've gotten it out of my system. If one wants to be a manly man and spend an odd amount of time watching manly men rub up against each other on a sportsball field. Go ahead. I won't judge. I'll be out back with your women-folk. I much prefer women.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It's a pipe forum so I try to keep it between the lines, but I don't mind saying that although I don't feel the animus towards people that Cosmic seems to feel (I'll be a friend to anybody), he's close to the mark on most of what he said.

Masculinity and Femininity are larger principles -- male and female are not the only instantiations of them.

But if you think that reality is more bottom-up than top-down, you won't see it that way.

I don't feel the animus towards people that Cosmic seems to feel
Ha, well, my post was to make a point. A few years ago we had some metalheads that were blaming hippys and Sesame Street for gender issues and hipsters. Sometimes you have to have the boiling water thrown back into your lap to get the point. I don't have any problems with heavy metal people who like crossdressers, or London Leather boys on motor bikes. I just don't like it when they think they're more manly, ha ha.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm not assuming that anybody cares, but I've mulled this over some more and improved my proposal, I think.

It seems that shape, and many related descriptors, usually come towards the end of pipe descriptions. I think that's because we use pipe shape as a noun (and adjectives which further modify shape get carried along for the ride, becoming part of that closing substantive).

This lends pipe descriptions a somewhat unique convention.

Here's my new and improved version of pipe description syntax:
  1. Opinion (e.g. nice, masculine)
  2. Size (e.g. large, little)
  3. Age (e.g. old, antique)
  4. Color (e.g. dark, red)
  5. Finish (e.g. sandblast, rusticated)
  6. Country (e.g. Danish, French)
  7. Brand (e.g. Stanwell, Ropp)
  8. Line (e.g. Golden, Vintage)
  9. Secondary Material (e.g. meerschaum-lined)
  10. Primary Material (e.g. briar, meerschaum)
    Note: Material sometimes gets moved to the end as the Closing Substantive. This is almost always done in the case of meerschaum.
  11. Proportional Comment (e.g. chubby, angular)
  12. Length (e.g. nose-warmer, long-shanked)
  13. Shank Shape (e.g. oval, diamond)
  14. Bend (e.g. straight, quarter-bent)
  15. Mount (e.g. military mount, spigot)
  16. Meerschaum Design (e.g. lion, lattice)
  17. Shape (e.g. billiard, freehand)
  18. Closing Substantive (e.g. sitter, churchwarden)

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Ha, well, my post was to make a point. A few years ago we had some metalheads that were blaming hippys and Sesame Street for gender issues and hipsters. Sometimes you have to have the boiling water thrown back into your lap to get the point. I don't have any problems with heavy metal people who like crossdressers, or London Leather boys on motor bikes. I just don't like it when they think they're more manly, ha ha.
I'm with you on metal culture involving many effeminate elements and then billing it as hyper-masculine. It's a head-scratcher.

@cosmicfolklore i get how the stummel of a pipe would be female, but following this logic, wouldnā€™t that make the pipeā€™s stem male?
Maybe... I have never had to say anything about just a pipe stem in French.

Haha, "I will put la stem in my mouth and suck." I've never even fucking said that in English, ha ha.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina

Haha, "I will put la stem in my mouth and suck." I've never even fucking said that in English, ha ha.
Cosmic, I think you understand the phallic implications of inserting a pipe stem in your mouth and perhaps you bejewel your pipes to soften the ā€œblowā€.

All joking aside, I admire your artistry and think your pipes are cool and interesting.

Cosmic, I think you understand the phallic implications of inserting a pipe stem in your mouth and perhaps you bejewel your pipes to soften the ā€œblowā€.

All joking aside, I admire your artistry and think your pipes are cool and interesting.
There is an understanding that all things have a gender.
Then, there is an understanding of masculine and feminine.
Then, there is an understanding of reality... where putting a pipe in your mouth is not a blowjob.
Because if smoking a pipe was a blowjob, and writing a letter was an act of sex, and eating some soup was rape... Then, most of these guys here would be a little less uptight with their hangups about sex and stuff.

Reactions: Steddy and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)

I guess that the stem is a male component of the pipe much in the same way a strap on is.

Also, for the record, and completely off topic, while it doesnā€™t offend my delicate sensibilities, I take issue with the whole Roman idea of male and/or female designation, or rather more properly ā€œpenetratorā€ and ā€œpenetratedā€. Not because of the forms or functions of the parts involved, but how they have been co-opted by a patriarchal centred power discourse.

I guess that the stem is a male component of the pipe much in the same way a strap on is.

Also, for the record, and completely off topic, while it doesnā€™t offend my delicate sensibilities, I take issue with the whole Roman idea of male and/or female designation, or rather more properly ā€œpenetratorā€ and ā€œpenetratedā€. Not because of the forms or functions of the parts involved, but how they have been co-opted by a patriarchal centred power discourse.
I don't know, maybe it is matriarchal... no connotation is made that the penetrated doesn't want to be penetrated. Just that... it happens. Maybe the penetrator doesn't want to go in there at all. Of which I can understand if we are talking about pulling nails.

Reactions: Steddy and Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.