PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The successive revisions of the thread title remind me of a famous Ben Franklin story, supposedly told by him to Thomas Jefferson when he (Jefferson) was distressed at the endless edits to his draft of the Declaration of Independence:

I have made it a rule, said he [Franklin], whenever in my power, to avoid becoming the draughtsman of papers to be reviewed by a public body. I took my lesson from an incident which I will relate to you. When I was a journeyman printer, one of my companions, an apprentice Hatter ... was about to open shop for himself—his first concern was to have a handsome sign-board, with a proper inscription. He composed it in these words ‘John Thompson, Hatter, makes and sells hats—for ready money,’ with a figure of a hat subjoined: but he thought he would submit it to his friends for their amendments. The first he shewed it to thought the word ‘Hatter,’ tautologous, because followed by the words ‘makes hats’ which shew he was a Hatter. it was struck out. The next observed that the word ‘makes’ might as well be omitted, because his customers would not care who made the hats. If good & to their mind, they would buy, by whomsoever made. He struck it out. A third said he thought the words ‘for ready money,’ were useless as it was not the custom of the place to sell on credit, every one who purchased expected to pay. They were parted with, and the inscription now stood ‘John Thompson sells hats.’ ‘Sells hats’ says his next friend? Why nobody will expect you to give them away. What then is the use of that word? It was stricken out, and ‘hats’ followed it, the rather, as there was one painted on the board. So his inscription was reduced ultimately to ‘John Thomson’ with the figure of a hat subjoined.”

This is an early (but wholly recognizable) example of what happens when the peanut gallery is given its say.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Great read early in the morning! I make a point of calling people 18 and up, “young men” since they can and do fight and die for our country. Just a personal preference and, though it would still be creepy after the mods got done with the title, it sounds less creepy without kid in the title. 😂
where as I consider 18 through 20 something to be old children. They're not fully developed. The front part of the brain is still forming until around 24. You know the part of the brain that says "don't do that it's stupid and not worth it". Could get into the debate about how many less people would join up and risk their lives and just as importantly their independence and freedom (for however long they are signed on) if their forebrain was developed. I guess I am saying I can respect and understand your point while going the complete opposite way with it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
The successive revisions of the thread title remind me of a famous Ben Franklin story, supposedly told by him to Thomas Jefferson when he (Jefferson) was distressed at the endless edits to his draft of the Declaration of Independence:

I have made it a rule, said he [Franklin], whenever in my power, to avoid becoming the draughtsman of papers to be reviewed by a public body. I took my lesson from an incident which I will relate to you. When I was a journeyman printer, one of my companions, an apprentice Hatter ... was about to open shop for himself—his first concern was to have a handsome sign-board, with a proper inscription. He composed it in these words ‘John Thompson, Hatter, makes and sells hats—for ready money,’ with a figure of a hat subjoined: but he thought he would submit it to his friends for their amendments. The first he shewed it to thought the word ‘Hatter,’ tautologous, because followed by the words ‘makes hats’ which shew he was a Hatter. it was struck out. The next observed that the word ‘makes’ might as well be omitted, because his customers would not care who made the hats. If good & to their mind, they would buy, by whomsoever made. He struck it out. A third said he thought the words ‘for ready money,’ were useless as it was not the custom of the place to sell on credit, every one who purchased expected to pay. They were parted with, and the inscription now stood ‘John Thompson sells hats.’ ‘Sells hats’ says his next friend? Why nobody will expect you to give them away. What then is the use of that word? It was stricken out, and ‘hats’ followed it, the rather, as there was one painted on the board. So his inscription was reduced ultimately to ‘John Thomson’ with the figure of a hat subjoined.”

This is an early (but wholly recognizable) example of what happens when the peanut gallery is given its say.
And speaking of signs for a store.... when I told people I was going to open my own smoke shop it seemed like almost everyone asked me if I was going to name it after myself. I told them "no", because after all who was I? Certainly no one would come because they were impressed by the name. I finally gave it a name that told where it was and what we sold. It worked. puffy

Reactions: yanoJL

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
And speaking of signs for a store.... when I told people I was going to open my own smoke shop it seemed like almost everyone asked me if I was going to name it after myself. I told them "no", because after all who was I? Certainly no one would come because they were impressed by the name. I finally gave it a name that told where it was and what we sold. It worked. puffy
And also if I saw a store that had a sign with Searock Fan. I'd be really confused. Do they sell Searocks? Or fans made from Searocks? Sorry had to go there.
Though my favorite store sign I have ever seen in my life was in the late 90's in Cleveland Ohio. "The African Pet Supply Shop". I was so tempted to wear a pith helmet into that shop and inquire about their Lion supplies. Oh for in that area half the stores where the African this or that. But that particular one was funny.

Reactions: yanoJL

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
And also if I saw a store that had a sign with Searock Fan. I'd be really confused. Do they sell Searocks? Or fans made from Searocks? Sorry had to go there.
Though my favorite store sign I have ever seen in my life was in the late 90's in Cleveland Ohio. "The African Pet Supply Shop". I was so tempted to wear a pith helmet into that shop and inquire about their Lion supplies. Oh for in that area half the stores where the African this or that. But that particular one was funny.
Yeah, you figured it out. In the Fan family we always give our kids names with a meaning. The day I was born my dad broke a tooth on a pearl while eating raw oysters and named me in commemoration of the event. puffy

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
Title edited for caps and brevity. You've been here long enough, Bob, to know how to write a title!!

Found out this kid (like mid 20's, I called people in their 20's kids since I was 16) I work with smokes a pipe. Had a small conversation with him at the end of the night while returning keys to the keybox. It was pretty neat. I think I was the first pipe smoker he's met ever. And yeah I did the casual check how much he knew and a little green but not really. Yes every time something like this happens I will start a post.
We do exist.

Reactions: Papamique

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
where as I consider 18 through 20 something to be old children. They're not fully developed. The front part of the brain is still forming until around 24. You know the part of the brain that says "don't do that it's stupid and not worth it". Could get into the debate about how many less people would join up and risk their lives and just as importantly their independence and freedom (for however long they are signed on) if their forebrain was developed. I guess I am saying I can respect and understand your point while going the complete opposite way with it.

Fair enough and good point!

Reactions: anotherbob
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I like to walk up to groups of friends who are clearly my age or older and shout “hey, kids!” It’s sort of like making a dad joke, you don’t do it for encouraging reactions, you just do it. puffy

Reactions: johnscs
Aug 1, 2012
I initially tagged a mod as I knew it would go sideways if not. I just worry the editing of titles will become like the Franklin quote earlier. Leaving titles that aren't in violation of rule 9 would save time and hassle for our mods.