PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
That sucks. I have some softies that I've tried several times, but I can't get down with them. The soft feel against my teeth makes me bite harder, then my jaw and teeth are more sore than when clenching straight acrylic. Plus I feel like a dog with a chew toy..
I've been lucky with acrylic stems, though I do have one that is shaped a way my teeth won't grip. If I don't get it placed exactly right between the left side molars it slides and clanks around too much. I'm thinking about sanding it down just enough to get a better grip on it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Rush-

You might try a c couple of dots of Superglue in strategic spots along the stem. Just a few. They may give you the grip you need. Less work, and hopefully more aesthetic.

(I "created a button" on a small Meer billiard when the whole button came off.) A thin line of SG on both sides did the trick. Of course, it's no real repacement, but it works. Virtually invisible too.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll be the extremist and suggest you file a row of about three parallel lines top and bottom in the stem near the bit, and see if that helps. I think smoking on only one side could inhibit the flavor, since switching excites different taste buds. The file lines should be just deep enough to feel and have no structural impact at all. If your pipe is expensive, you might want to select a less expensive one to try the experiment.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
My newest and favourite pipe simply won’t clench on the right based on my teeth and pipe shape, it is acrylic but I don’t think that’s the reason. Other pipes are fine on the right. Luckily I’m a left clencher anyhow... I guess you just have a mis-fit like mine.

Reactions: bullet08