PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m such a Disciple of Lee for many reasons, and one I don’t think I’ve mentioned previously is like all top shelf luxury pipes, even the lowliest Two Star Lee was not only cured in oil, it was oil stained as well. Unlike post war Kaywoodies where the pipe was surface stained and then varnished, the stain on a lower grade Lee is there forever, and it’s deep enough to not rub off, and there never was a drop of varnish or lacquer to peel off to begin with.

At the top of the line, the $25 Five Star Lee customer got a natural color pipe with no stain at all.

For $25, over a week’s salary at a forty cent minimum wage, he ought to have received a perfect briar that didn’t need stain, I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akoni808 and JAWz

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
$25 pipe sounds good. But I could never imagine spending a week's salary on a pipe these days.
In 1946 the very best high end English pipes (that also were tariffed) were $15 at a retail pipe shop.

Kaywoodie’s line topped at the $10 Flame Grain (before the war, the best production pipe ever made, bar none, no exceptions).

The overwhelming majority of early 7 point inlaid gold star Lees found today were sold mail order for ten dollars, and are Three Star Grade.

The Lee customer could have went to any pipe shop and handled and inspected a Kaywoodie Flame Grain or have bought TWO Kaywoodie Super Grains.

But of course, he didn’t get to smoke a $10 version of a $25 pipe unless he ordered from Lee.

Reactions: Akoni808