PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
The other day I was smoking one of my smooth finish Rossi, and my zippo caused a little darkening of the rim from flame impurities. I went and dampened a paper towel with water to remove the darkened areas, and as I removed the darkened area I noticed some light red on the paper towel. My question is, is a little bit of dampness and light rubbing able to remove a finish used on these pipes?

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My first Rossi started to bubble on the rim after 3 smokes. I took acetone to the whole stummel and not only did it look better but it smoked better. Super easy to do. I'll have to find before and after pictures tonight.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I use acetone from time to time, but generally only when I want to strip varnish/lacquer off a pipe (crazy they use to do that!). I would start with rubbing alcohol. It's a little easier on the briar. If you have 3m scrub pads around use those as your "scrubber". Move up to acetone if the rubbing alcohol does not do the trick, but I bet it will...

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I've never heard of this happening in my life. I smoked a lot of pipes in the last 48 years but rarely a Savonelli product but even then I've never heard of it.
I have a bunch of Savs and Rossi pipes and never had this issue.
I’ve never had the issue with my lucite savinellis that have a clear finish on the rim. It’s only happened with my Rossi that has more of a red finish.

JAWz

Lurker
Apr 16, 2022
California (San Joaquin County)
The other day I was smoking one of my smooth finish Rossi, and my zippo caused a little darkening of the rim from flame impurities. I went and dampened a paper towel with water to remove the darkened areas, and as I removed the darkened area I noticed some light red on the paper towel. My question is, is a little bit of dampness and light rubbing able to remove a finish used on these pipes?
Same thing happened to me on a Big Ben Presidential billiard.

Reactions: Akoni808