PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've had a couple blow your mind smokes with a pipe. But to me, some of the fondest, most perfect smokes where when I'd light a Marlboro red as I was getting my second pint of Guinness handed to me on a Friday night. I know that's very specific, but that truly is my favorite smoke of all time. I'm off the reds now and you can't smoke indoors (for the most part) but that was a transcendental smoke. Every time.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
Thank you all for your replies.

This thread gave me some insight I was seeking. I wasn’t aware that there are folks out there that have quite the transcendental enjoyment that I experience with pipe smoking from cigars, snus, chew, or what have you…
That was actually my question, because I never have.
(Those experiences are are also infrequent to me but happen enough to keep me chooching for them)

As mentioned, I very much love the cigars in my humidors, in addition to our favorite leaf in other varieties.
But from this thread, cigars appear to be the only other form of leaf which numerous other folk enjoy quite *AS* much, and to me personally, I find them to be a more social form of tobacco. Cigar at golf, after dinner with a drink, weddings, fishing, etc.
Certainly not to say that I haven’t had enjoyed smoked from my sticks, but my pipe just always feels more special, and in those rare moments, even ceremonial.

Maybe it’s the combination of flavors from briar and leaf. Nah, because my meerschaums, cobs, and clays all provide that experience…
Or that there exist far more flavors in the realms of pipe tobacco. That’s facts.
Or that there is an instrument/tool involved , which also stays behind after the smoke (unlike a stogie/cig).
Or that yep, there is a learning curve for most of us. And perhaps we learn that skill all alone, or in the company of others, but once we have it, it’s ours to keep.
I’m not sure.

In any case, I am grateful to all those who replied!

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
Well done. You’ve reminded me of many reflective moments I’ve had with my Reds back in the day.

I have plenty of books that still smell like them, lol. I break them out and it instantly takes me thirty years back.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Silvrbdgr

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2023
Navarre, FL
Here's my take: If you chase it, you ain't gonna catch it. When you absentmindedly smoke, you'll just find yourself at the end of a perfect smoke. I get some great bowls just watching the local wildlife in the backyard, reading the forum or just letting my mind wander. If I think about the pipe I'm currently smoking, it usually messes something up. But what do I know? I've only been at this for about a month. I really wish I'd taken it up sooner though. I enjoy my pipes much more than I ever did cigarettes or dip.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
Here's my take: If you chase it, you ain't gonna catch it. When you absentmindedly smoke, you'll just find yourself at the end of a perfect smoke. I get some great bowls just watching the local wildlife in the backyard, reading the forum or just letting my mind wander. If I think about the pipe I'm currently smoking, it usually messes something up. But what do I know? I've only been at this for about a month. I really wish I'd taken it up sooner though. I enjoy my pipes much more than I ever did cigarettes or dip.
Amen brother

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
There are times when the flavor is outstanding. Location and setting aside, these happen far too infrequently. Try as I may to replicate the conditions, a pipe will always be hit or miss.

Some interesting comments. Yes, cigars are more social and pipes a solitary pursuit. I would agree.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
It is easier for me to get this Nirvana from a really good cigar. With pipes I just keep one lit and clenched all day... but occasionally I wil get a tobacco that makes me just set down and focus... not very often. But, it does happen.
I can't smoke a pipe unless I'm sat down for 90% of the time. Sit back, light-up & enjoy.
As for the Nirvana moment, well yes, it does happen now and again.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I've tried every form as well, and I know what you mean. I feel different after a pipe then I do any other form of tobacco. Happier and much more relaxed.
So true!

I have a couple of cigarettes in the morning and a few throughout the day, just for the nic hit.

Very seldom do I get the opportunity to smoke a pipe at work, unless I have to travel onto the mainland, which is a good 40 minutes or so, etc.,

Taste & relaxation are the key elements after a pipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I like both stogies and pipes.
But I'd go broke smoking the cigars that I like the best.
20 bucks a stick at minimum.
And I find the pipe smoking world more interesting
Limitless blends.
For very reasonable prices.
It’s funny: Because of how you format all of your posts, I always expect them to rhyme! So far…I’m still waiting. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: SBC and dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
A great cigar, especially after a steak dinner, is a unique and wonderful experience. But I get almost no opportunity to smoke cigars, whereas I can smoke pipes daily. Something you do daily has less probability of producing that nirvana experience, by definition I think. On the occasion I do have a nirvana pipe it's entirely serendipitous. Usually the rest of that day, while not quite reaching the same heights, is still pretty good. Some days nothing tastes great. This applies to pipes and cigars.