PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
How many of you have experienced these with other various forms of tobacco?

Over three decades, I’ve used about every form of delivery available.
Cigarette smoker, cigar aficionado, snuff taker, vaper, snus, chew, nicotine patches, gum, etc.
None have ever affected me in the way that the pipe has the ability to.

For me, there is something very different about smoking my pipe and I’ve thought often about why that is.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I wouldn't say I've had that nirvana smoke yet, but have had really great smoking sessions a time or two. Its usually when everything is calm and I'm listening to some good music while sitting in my rocking chair on a warm day with a light breeze while sipping bourbon. The pipe is by far the ultimate delivery system. Serenity by the bowl.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
I wouldn't say I've had that nirvana smoke yet, but have had really great smoking sessions a time or two. Its usually when everything is calm and I'm listening to some good music while sitting in my rocking chair on a warm day with a light breeze while sipping bourbon. The pipe is by far the ultimate delivery system. Serenity by the bowl.
Couldn’t have said it better.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
I smoked a Cohiba Behike this weekend that was magical. I enjoy cigars immensely but that transcendental smoke that a pipe can deliver is unmatched by any cigar I've smoked. All other forms of tobacco ingestion are just delivery methods with no real pleasure outside of the nicotine and habit ritual.
Agreed. I love my cigars and they’ve given me some magnificent smokes but nothing like what a great pipe delivers.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
At least a few times. Not a great batting average considering time and resources spent but I'm still swinging. First time, GLP Samara in the pipe. Remember it clearly. Frog has come close on more than one occasion. Opus x Churchill cigar. Maybe more than once. Completely different settings.

The mindset/mood does matter. Low stress; not easy to achieve for many,...and me. Pipe matters too. In my experience, some pipes have an affinity to some tobaccos, and vice versa. And the cigar must be age properly.

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I smoked cigars for over 20 years. When I switched to the pipe, I lost interest in them. I still occasionally smoke them, but not 7 a day like a used to. More like 1 a month or more. The flavor of the pipe is superior in my opinion and I have great cigars. Also the price is right. But I think controlling the ember in the pipe, combined with the joy of holding the pipe makes it a more relaxing experience. A cigar or cigarette is gone when burned out but that pipe is with you going forward. Some pipes mean more if you saved up or was on the look out for one out of stock and you finally got it.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I have only had a few WOW smokes with cigarettes whether Deligados or Gauloises and a German rolling Tabak I always forget the name of but since the Nic Level Laws all them smokes are gone.

With pipes, it's usually the first time smoking a blend I know will go into the rotation by knocking out a previous favorite.
Also when a blend I found fair to middling but then smoked in the right pipe becomes a WOW smoke.

Glad I found the pipe I thought all those experiences were gone with the last century.

Last edited:

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I think the setting and palate at the moment have a lot to do with enhancing the experience. Most of those Nirvana tobacco experience I've had in the last 20 years or so have been great cigars, but I've had a few with pipes.

Problem with pipes is I can't repeat those experiences with any sort of consistency. An extremely well-aged tin of SG Balkan flake once, sometimes Stonehaven, and most consistently Brighton or Dunar, but only when conditions are perfect. The most consistently great tobacco for me was Blackwoods Flake, but that's all just memory now.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
How many of you have experienced these with other various forms of tobacco?

Over three decades, I’ve used about every form of delivery available.
Cigarette smoker, cigar aficionado, snuff taker, vaper, snus, chew, nicotine patches, gum, etc.
None have ever affected me in the way that the pipe has the ability to.

For me, there is something very different about smoking my pipe and I’ve thought often about why that is.
Pipe smoking is the only form of tobacco use that requires a learned technique.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipe smoking is the only form of tobacco use that requires a learned technique.
So people are born knowing how to roll/ smoke cigarettes, packing a can and loading chew/dip into their jaw, apply just the right inhale for snuff, or cutting, lighting, and retrohaling cigars? I've found smoking a pipe needs less prep or attention than any other form of tobacco use. Scoop or drop tobacco into the chamber, light and go.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
My very best cigars have been in the company of friends over drinks and good conversation

With pipe smoking it’s a bit of the opposite, they’re (usually) still with a drink but mostly solo… & I really don’t need any chit-chat

Cigarettes were just an addiction