PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
taildraggin, thank you for the excellent update on Mac desktops. The 21" seems to be an obvious choice for me, just looking at them online on my wife's iPad. Knowing the detail about year models is helpful, in figuring out what I'm looking at and what I'd be paying for. I wouldn't mind a refurb. There may be a slight advantage in getting the most recent, or a recent version, to extend its life out further. I'm going to go to the Apple store for an initial reconnaissance mission, ask questions, price things, and review other options like laptops. I think Mac is trending toward extending operating system updates on its Mac pros, which is a good idea, but I'm too early for that one on the less exalted models. I have sure learned a lot more from Forums than I have from the commercial sources, and have some basis for asking questions of the sales staff. We're going to my wife's medical appt today, and I have some other tasks at hand, but may make it to Apple Store, and maybe Best Buy for comparison, in the next day or two.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good plan, Tom. I've had regular O/S updates on my MacBook Pro for the six years I've been using it. It's not any different from the other models in terms of the O/S; it has hardware that's a bit faster than the non-pro models.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
jpmcwjr:

I have the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio for 12.9-inch iPad Pro (3rd Generation).

Pros:

Lightweight; slim profile

Fair-to-good keyboard tactile response (not as good as the MacBook Pro)

Folds completely back to use the iPad as a touch-screen tablet

Cons:

Expensive

No backlighting - charcoal colored keys & gray key labels
I would consider the Logitech Slim Folio Pro (for iPad Pro 11" & 12.9" [3rd Gen]) instead of the Apple folio keyboard.
For a retired iPad Gen 3, I used a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard which had excellent key response, backlit keys with selectable backlighting colors & intensities, but was bulkier, & had a slot to hold the iPad - it was not a folio design. It can be used with my iPhone (as can any Bluetooth keyboards).

Status
Not open for further replies.