PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm on an old MacOS, Snow Leopard from early 2009, so updates are long gone, and service is failing. I lost email yesterday. I'll try to wangle it back into service, but so far no luck. My point is, if I drop out of sight, I'll be working on getting an updated device and hope to reappear in the not distant future. To its credit, Pipesmagazine is a reliable friend so far, perhaps because their programming is vintage, so will still sync in with mine. Likewise, Pipesandcigars still works too. So much gratitude to both. None of the other retailers will open. "Safari Can't Connect" etc. It's a comfort while it lasts, since I can't even email family right now. Just a heads up, since members disappearing has caused some alarm in the past. I'm still here, and if I go silent, I'll be working to get back! A 2009 OS is like from the Pleistocene. It ain't like an old rotary phone you can plug in the wall and still use.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In the meantime, Tom, why not try Firefox and Chrome for Mac? Yes, ten years old for any O/S is a bit long in the tooth. I've been very happy with my MacBook Pro, from 2013, but one day.....

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Neither FF nor Chrome will work with old versions of MacOS. Getting ahold of older versions that do work is a major hassle, and after going through the installing ordeal they might still not work or have lots of things broken in pages.
Sometimes you have no choice but to upgrade.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Today I can't get pipesandcigars either from Forums or just by Googling, so I'm another step behind the eight ball. I think an upgrade is imminent. But I'll hang around here as long as I can still open pipesmagazine. I think minor updates on various sites close me out one site at a time. It's the cost of improvements in newer gear, such as they are. I remember when refrigerators commonly lasted forty years, said the grumpy old man. Sad that this desktop has a big, bright screen, and other good attributes. I think an interim update with the last op system that installs on this hardware would soon go through the same decline. Despite myself, I'm pretty attached to online doings. Then there will be a learning curve, which is steep for my contrary non-techie mind. The computer science logic grid and I are in different universes. If I lapse on posts, figure the Apple Store or Best Buys is soon to rack up a tidy profit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What the optimal useable lifespan for a stadard device, like a desk top or a laptop? That might be useful in calculating how much I do or do not want to invest in the next one. I think at ten years, this desk top was about $150 per year, maybe more.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
changing to Chrome or Firefox is unlikely to fix this. The issue is that almost all web sites are or will be changing to https from http. The old OS simply has no way to establish the secure connection required. I just fired up my old MacBookPro from 08. It could not connect to any of the web pages I attempted - error of "no common encryption algorithms". Mine is running OS X 10.5 Leopard. I have no idea how many versions of OS you would have to move forward to to make this work, but the newer OS would likey slow the machine down substantially.
Really, in today's world, I figure 3-6 years max for device functional life. 3 years if you want to retain full function. You can push it out past that to 6 or so years if you are willing to take the risks of operating with decreased security due to programs that are beyond the end of support life.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
When you upgrade you'll find more options than you care to know about, but, if I were buying something today to replace what I have it would most likely be this:
ASUS VivoBook
Or one very similar.
My wife has a very nice macbook thingy but I can't see the point of spending 4x the $ for what she got over this. That and I can't stand crapple products. I'm not a fan of winblows either and usually load Linux on my stuff but it can be tricky sometimes.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Just to chime in quickly, there are really good reasons you are struggling to visit websites. Since I know that not being able to access Smokingpipes is a frustration for you that you've mentioned in the past, I thought a thorough explanation might help:
A lot of the reason that websites are becoming inaccessible is that PCI accreditation is predicated on certain cryptographic protocols being used (specifically, SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 were deprecated in 2018). Compatibility with older browsers is something that website developers think about, but we can push it only so far if we want to be able to pass information securely, which is really important, particularly for things like e-commerce, banking or anywhere else financial data is handled.
The reason that you've continued to be able to access pipesmagazine.com is that the whole site is unencrypted. Frankly, in my opinion, that's not a problem. There's no data passed here that is sensitive. However, Google (et al) have been pushing towards encrypting all http traffic and punishing sites (through search rankings in Google's case) that don't encrypt by default, so this has changed in the past few years even for websites where no sensitive information is handled.
I don't know how pipesandcigars.com continued to be accessible to you and retain the Level 3 or Level 4 PCI compliance designation that they surely must have (I'm sure they resolved it somehow; I just don't know how). I'm surprised it worked for you as long as it did.
Sykes

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
MSO - Don't listen to the Machaters out there, the big problem I have with windows or android devices is that there are still more viruses and worms written for them then there are for Mac OS.
Just two months ago I traded in my late-2011 Macbook Pro because it was getting too slow in loading the latest OSX on start-up. It still worked, but the newer software is more memory intensive also. My current desktop is a late-2013 iMac and it is still performing great even running OSX 10.14.5.
I have been a Mac user since 1986 and I have never experienced a problem from viruses, worms. My system has never been hacked into either. Since I use my computers to make money, this is a bonus for me. I change them out ever 8 years on average.
My oldest son, uses windows based computers. He averages a new computer once ever 2 years or so.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
swil', that gives me a clearer concept of what's happening. Thanks. Pappy, I'll probably go with Mac again. I had aversion therapy with PC and windows when I set up a computer at home, belatedly. It sure helps to have some innate interest in this technology. I've tried, but it just doesn't happen for me. I struggle, all uphill, but other than my narrow little lane of usage, it's not satisfying. Remember word processing, desktop publishing ... what magic it was going to be. I do look forward to accessing web sites in the usual way.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I won't share my feelings on apple products if that's what you're used to and what you're planning on going with. To each their own.
My current setup is a 2014 windows laptop plugged into the big screen TV with a wireless keyboard mouse combo so I can sit on the recliner and stream Netflix and browse the forums. Maybe you could look into a different type of setup to save a little cash? Best of luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
skydog, sounds kind of cool, putting together your own array of gear. I won't tell my long, sad story of work place and then home frustrations with computers. Suffice it to say I started at work with a DECmate PC/word processor, proceeded to IBM/Word set-up, and things went downhill from there. When I set up at home, Dell eventually sent me a check from a big lawsuit. My ten years on a Mac hasn't been a world of fun, but until the last year, has worked. Since I have no talent for computers, I have to go with whatever seems to function in my presence. Lately I've followed various online instructions on how to re-enter my email, and I have phone numbers to the purpose, but the investment of time almost never rewards the efforts. It's pretty pleasing when some fix actually works, but for me, that's like every three years. Good for folks who can get into the game and get useful results.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Off to the Apple Store and Best Buys, soon if not today. The local Apple Store gets rather middling marks on Yelp -- too crowded, high staff turnover, I'd say from my visits. Used to be better, and my first Mac was bought on a state tax-free day in August, since suspended by the legislature. So I'll nose around and price around before taking the plunge. I think Apple might do a better set-up than Best Buy, if I got the right person. Though the last crew left the AOL account on the current desktop, and it has about 5K emails, and I'll never use it again. I should have been asked, and the account cancelled. I need about a third of the documents off my current device. Much is outdated from when my wife was sharing before she got set up. I need to rescue manuscripts, lots of man hours. Maybe all this should be easier, but I no play'a the game, I no make'a the rules.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
heads up, since members disappearing
Noted, with a bit of a bummed, Tom. Hope you get a more reliable setup soon.
It's not my standard to flay an OS contra to mine unless I'm just being an imp, or if the user really is suffering, so worry not -- no Redmond or Linux or Unix or koha evangelism coming your way. I'm more concerned about your connectivity & continued well-being here. Your absence would be keenly felt. Serious. :)
B

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My home gear is about the same vintage, though I updated to Lion last year. Had my machine been manufactured a mere 4 months later, I could have upgraded the OS to Yosemite and beyond. In any event, the handwriting is on the wall and certain sites will not allow me to handle transactions for security reasons. For now I can use my work computer to handle this or my cell, which I frankly do not trust to be secure.
I've used both Mac and PC and prefer Mac, especially for how I use it. Color works better on a Mac. Partisans are welcome to their personal delusions. I've been holding out for a new pro level Mac and from what I'm reading there should finally be a new one this year. Now, if Apple doesn't screw this up, I'll be set for years to come.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The problem with older updates, for me anyway, is that it takes a lot of work to get them functioning and then they begin to decline, so there's a lot of time lost with this transition and the next. sable', a new pro level Mac would keep things good or some years ahead. Even my gear was rigorous with updates for four or five years, then Apple just quit on it, and I'm on my own. I have a thumb drive update to a more recent, but still outdated OS, and it may just not be worth the trouble. With my skills and attitude. I try to be upbeat and dive into fixes, but mostly it's lost time. Desk tops are just enough out of fashion that it might be possible to get something new, albeit with a smaller screen, for a possible if not affordable price. I've been twiddling with email and trying to reset my IMAP, etc. I have what the U.S. automakers used to be accused of, planned obsolescence. Then all this plastic, circuitry, chips, and rare metals go into the waste stream. In the long view, not a good plan.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
giphy.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the considered opinions and moral support. With email out, and most web sites blocked, I feel like one of those polar bears on the melting ice flows, though out of respect for them, I will admit, I'm eating well. Funny how the operating system gives up ground a little at at time. I've wangled my way to email first from a ready access, then to a two-step process, then to a three-step process, and so forth. It convincingly let me know that despite the handsome large screen and fond memories of the good old days with this desk top, this is definitely coming to an end. Wouldn't it be cool if Apple devised a way to update the hardware, which they could no doubt do. But why would they? Another sucker, uh customer, in the door. I can't go back to Microsoft with an even more traumatic experience. It was like this new. I was sold email and it wasn't there! I spent hours on the help line, and in retrospect, the customer service was just playing with hapless buyers. It was quite a scam. A retired IBM employee came to help me, and after twiddling a month, I was online in fifteen minutes. Not going back to that. At least I didn't waste much of my friend's time; he threw in a disc and voila, email.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'draggin, that's the one we were looking at online, on my wife's iPad which still has some function. I'll probably buy in-store to get first-hand help on set-up, maybe dragging the current desk-top in there. I'm spoiled with the bigger screen, but I think 21" would do just fine. Lots of different versions. So many functions I don't need, wouldn't use, but a few I need some extra power.

Status
Not open for further replies.