PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Just a few interesting information to share around here.

Some colleagues were critical about Meer lined (on facebook groups), saying that '60s "were a strange, strange time." But, there are earlier reference, from 1933. As we can see here:
"I found a much earlier reference in our catalogue from 1933.
Please see on page 8 the two pipes marked 5 and 6, which are Bruyere pipe with Meerschaum tops (& possibly lining) fitted with Amber mouthpieces." Kalmon S. Hener, Product Line Director of The White Spot division. Jan-2020.
And others believed that Meer was compressed, because of the size or that the Meer was not Turkish. Well, about this Mr. Hener said:
"As far as I know, we only used Block-meerschaum and not reconstituted Meerschaum…
In the past we could obtain the raw material from Turkey. Nowadays, the Turkish government banned the export of Meerschaum as a raw material and only allows export of finished goods; that is why we stopped using this material." Kalmon S. Hener, Product Line Director of The White Spot division.
::

I hope it's useful as it was for me.
Soon available on Pipedia.
See you guys.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
They were I think.

But I don't think Meerschaum lined pipes are that gimmicky, say in the vein of stingers or condensers. There is a reason you can still buy new meer lined pipes today.

I agree, partially. It's very hard to see them out there (especially Dunhill and from '60s)... I - as an aspiring collector, were very happy to find one.

Many had not seen or even had a chance to use it, but did not contain themselves in the criticisms. Which was good, because I was able to research more about it and dispel a few...

Thank you.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I don't have any experience with meer lined bowls from Dunhill or any other brands, but I would be inclined to guess that they don't enhance or change the smoking experience significantly. If you reported differently though, I'd be inclined to believe you. Regardless, they are not common, and part of what would make collecting something, such as Dunhill pipes, fun. The hunt or search, for the elusive. I have two Dunhills with stems made not from Vulcanite or of Cumberland. One stem is horn, and the other is some other white organic material...it's old enough to be legally obtained ivory, or I suppose it could be from mammoth, but I have no idea. I didn't expect either to be different or better smokers. I got them because I thought they were neat. Collecting something you enjoy and that interests you doesn't need to make sense to anyone else, and FWIW if I happened upon a meer lined Dunhill that I liked the look of, and was what I considered to be priced fair, I'd probably pick it up. Enjoy it...cheers!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you, forciori. Nice bit of research. I have a meer lined Hilson, but it's too small to smoke regularly. I'd happily have another or two, but larger, by Barling or other top maker.

Reactions: BROBS and forciori

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I don't have any experience with meer lined bowls from Dunhill or any other brands, but I would be inclined to guess that they don't enhance or change the smoking experience significantly. If you reported differently though, I'd be inclined to believe you.

So... "A meerschaum lined pipe combines the smoking qualities of meerschaum, like a cool smoke and neutrality in taste, with the look, feel and durability of wood." This is exactly what I think. It's like smoking in any other Meer pipe... I bought it recently, so I can't tell if briar — somehow — "merges" the experience... Smoking in a Meer, in my modest opinion, is always different... So yes, you'll have a smoking experience with a considerable difference. I particularly loved the combination! I hope that helps.

Best,
: :

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
About your pipes mouthpieces:

• The white one was made in the Dunhill factory, from a material called "Erinoid", a predecessor of bakelite (there are information about this material on the Internet - just google!).

• According to John Loring, vulcanite for stems was either rationed or forbidden in WWII, so that many, if not most of the pipes produced during the war were equipped with horn stems (horn is a very comfortable material, but is easily cracked). Loring also states that pipes from this period found on the estate market with vulcanite stems likely had the stems replaced at some point. Is that your case? Its from '40s? I'd love to see them...
Best,

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
Thank you, forciori. Nice bit of research. I have a meer lined Hilson, but it's too small to smoke regularly. I'd happily have another or two, but larger, by Barling or other top maker.

Thank you for your time...

So... Mine's a gr 3 - it's not exactly big, but for me its perfect. I really liked it... It's comfortable to manipulate it without all that worry you have with a full-meer and it's also great to feel the briar while I smoking in a Meer...

You will find bigger ones. Good luck!

Best,

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
About your pipes mouthpieces:

• The white one was made in the Dunhill factory, from a material called "Erinoid", a predecessor of bakelite (there are information about this material on the Internet - just google!).

• According to John Loring, vulcanite for stems was either rationed or forbidden in WWII, so that many, if not most of the pipes produced during the war were equipped with horn stems (horn is a very comfortable material, but is easily cracked). Loring also states that pipes from this period found on the estate market with vulcanite stems likely had the stems replaced at some point. Is that your case? Its from '40s? I'd love to see them...
Best,
This is the horn...just bought it, and it's recent production (2002), or relatively recent, as in it's not from the 40's:

and this is from 1956:

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
About Opera Shape.

I've been talking with Mr. Hener about the Opera shape and he sends me incredible information. I hope you like it!
I found a reference in our catalogue ”About Smoke - fourth Edition” from 1922.
There were in fact three (!) flat bowl QUAINT shapes shown, two were straight and one was bent. Hener, K. S., Product Line Director - The White Spot.
  • Straight: originally Quaint shape “FS”
  • Bent: originally Quaint shape “FC”
  • Straight: originally Quaint shape “FB”, a flat Bulldog.

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
An addendum:

Some are very skeptical about the type and application of Meer - Insisting that the Meer is pressed.
So, I've been talking to two Meer carvers, Mr. Sadik Yanik and Adem (from Calabash Pipes World).
Both confirmed that it is possible and feasible to make them from a Meer block.

I asked the same question for both:

- Is it possible to fit a solid block into a briar chamber?

Yes, it is not a problem that meerschaum can be placed in this pipe. Sadie Yanik.

Sure, we do it all the time. Briar pipe makers ask for it. Meerschaum linings what we call...
We only use block Meerschaum no pressed but there are some companies they do pressed. Adem from Calabash Pipes World.

Pressed Meer:
Pressed Meer16839

Made from a block:

*These are not Meerschaum linings but bowls. The process is similar...
In both cases the Meer pieces are made outside the bowl. Contrary to the idea that it could be pressed just to be molded inside the bowl.

So that's it! I hope it's useful.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies.