PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksontheP

Lurker
Oct 9, 2021
I have a variety of pipes that I use often. However, it's very humid where I'm at in the south so moisture is bound to be somewhat of a problem. From what I understand for every bowl you have that's one day of rest to dry. I have some paper bags that I have considered putting my pipes in paper bags to absorb the moisture out. Is there and other method to get the moisture out quicker or perhaps I should get a meerschaum? What do you think? Thanks!

Reactions: tobefrank

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
I think you might be overthinking it a little bit. I'm in Florida with high humidity and never have any issues. I smoke my pipe I let it cool down I wipe the inside out with the paper towel and hang it on the pipe rack. I have several pipes that are dedicated to certain blends but even if I chose to smoke the same pipe back to back to back it's never been an issue that a pipe cleaner couldn't fix.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess you could train a small fan on your pipe rack, but I don't think it's necessary. If you have a few more pipes and smoke them in rotation, they'll dry soon enough. However, the brown paper bag is such a picturesque idea, I think you should try it, and report back.

JacksontheP

Lurker
Oct 9, 2021
Where at in the South are you?
jpmcwjr will be along shortly with dirrections on how to out your location in your profile.

But, I am in 90-100% humidity Alabama, and my pipes do fine. It’s not like moisture is just sweating on them like a beer can. But, YMMV.
I'm in Florida so it gets pretty damp here in the summer especially. Not allowed to pipe indoors so it's on the deck.
I guess you could train a small fan on your pipe rack, but I don't think it's necessary. If you have a few more pipes and smoke them in rotation, they'll dry soon enough. However, the brown paper bag is such a picturesque idea, I think you should try it, and report back.
Sounds like a good idea!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
From what I understand for every bowl you have that's one day of rest to dry.
Myth

Briar is dense and not very absorbent at all. I often smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for weeks at a time before switching out but they get cleaned after each smoke. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and airway, wipe the chamber out with a paper towel, and you're good to go.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
On one end of the spectrum pipes are coddled by most forum members. Just smoke your pipes and forget about it. On the other end there is prudent care, pipe cleaners and paper towel to clear the residue, which is what I did.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Myth

Briar is dense and not very absorbent at all. I often smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for weeks at a time before switching out but they get cleaned after each smoke. Run a pipe cleaner through the stem and airway, wipe the chamber out with a paper towel, and you're good to go.
Guess he hasn't seen my grabow thread lol

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If it works for avocados I don't see why it would be a far stretch for a pipe.. Why don't you give it a run, try it out, and report back to us in a few weeks with the results.

Reactions: Toast
Status
Not open for further replies.