PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That would be correct, Alfred died in '59. Hmmm, well I just don't believe there is any nefarious attempt to decieve anyone; I believe this is a genuine article the Dunhill family gifted to someone for a reason. It is possible Henery's wife or secretary signed it for him. Where did you come by this book? I will continue trying to find an answer, it fascinates me! In regard to the apology; I understand completely how internet forums can be. People have a tendency to be much more abrasive than in person. I guess that's just how it is but, I want to better myself daily and live well so I try to be respectful. You can look at my early posts and see that I get defensive quickly because I too am accustomed to the acidic rhetoric online. I just want to do better, so I am happy you accepted my apology and thank you for the challenge!! Happy piping
This is pleasantly refreshing and respectable!

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I understand completely how internet forums can be. People have a tendency to be much more abrasive than in person. I guess that's just how it is but, I want to better myself daily and live well so I try to be respectful. You can look at my early posts and see that I get defensive quickly because I too am accustomed to the acidic rhetoric online. I just want to do better, so I am happy you accepted my apology and thank you for the challenge!! Happy piping

You made a pertinent consideration...
I owe you an apology, too. I feel quite a bit harassed here - I resumed activities a few days ago and I confess that I'm usually on the defensive. Not everyone here is respectful and when you complain about it you are treated as sensitive, a "snowflake" and suffers even more "attacks". Yesterday I commented with a great friend, Steve, that I intended to disappear from here again, for a while, to keep my mind in order and because sometimes I wasn't being nice either.

Complex, is not it?
I appreciate your sensitivity. You won a friend here... Maybe it's no big deal, but it's got its value.

Thank you.
Best,

Yang : :

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You made a pertinent consideration...
I owe you an apology, too. I feel quite a bit harassed here - I resumed activities a few days ago and I confess that I'm usually on the defensive. Not everyone here is respectful and when you complain about it you are treated as sensitive, a "snowflake" and suffers even more "attacks". Yesterday I commented with a great friend, Steve, that I intended to disappear from here again, for a while, to keep my mind in order and because sometimes I wasn't being nice either.

Complex, is not it?
I appreciate your sensitivity. You won a friend here... Maybe it's no big deal, but it's got its value.

Thank you.
Best,

Yang : :
Yang,
I think in part it is very hard to understand sarcasm through the written word.
Also, many people like myself respond after reading on a mobile device and miss pertinent information included in the original post.
But overall.. please don't leave! Take all comments with a grain of salt as if you were getting a good ribbing from a brother. That's how I take it, even if the person has no such intent.

best regards,
-Brian

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Yang, it would be a shame to see you go. You have contributed a lot in the time you have spent on the forum. I understand, however, your position. You should know that you have a lot more friends than you might expect. We applaud your dedication and love of pipes. Thank you for all that you have shared with us.

Mau

forciori

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 29, 2019
Brasil
pipedia.org
I need to make a small correction here: my version is the third and it is from '68.
In '69 was the revised version of "The Pipe Book" with Henry's forewords.

I bought this book at an antique shop, paid five bucks for it.
It was purchased in New York in 1968 - the year of the relaunch and was given to someone (named Alvaro) in the same year (I know this because it has something spelt unreadably on the front page, where you can see something that appears to be "New York" 1968). Henry was in New York at that time for the relaunch event, but... Maybe he put his hand on it, or maybe not. Who knows?

Best, : :

IMG_20200312_183125.jpg

NEmery

Lurker
Dec 31, 2019
Beaufort, SC
Yang, I think it is a great find and I would assume that whoever wrote in the book was a representative of the Dunhill Family or somebody that could speak on behalf of Mr Dunhill after his death. It would be VERY interesting to find out who the book was originally given to and get the story.

However, for anybody interested: there IS a (presumably) first edition that IS signed by Mr Dunhill himself on E bay Right now. ( Link Under picture)

dunhill signed.jpg

Here is the link!

Dallas Wynn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 19, 2019
NW Arkansas
Yang, I think it is a great find and I would assume that whoever wrote in the book was a representative of the Dunhill Family or somebody that could speak on behalf of Mr Dunhill after his death. It would be VERY interesting to find out who the book was originally given to and get the story.

However, for anybody interested: there IS a (presumably) first edition that IS signed by Mr Dunhill himself on E bay Right now. ( Link Under picture)

View attachment 22399

Here is the link!
Good luck outbidding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.