Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I met Abe Herbaugh at the Columbus Pipe Show. He's a young pipe maker from West Virginia who has done some training with Premal Cheddah and Bill Sholosky.
I was impressed with Abe's work and walked away with this blasted sitting Dublin.

Herbaugh07.jpg

The stem is very comfortable, it has a Delrin tenon and the cap is pre-ban ivory. But after a few smokes, I thought the rim REALLY should be smooth to show off what looked like a MASS of birdseye.

Herbaugh06.jpg

So I contacted Abe and asked if he wouldn't mind taking another crack at the rim and smoothing it out. He said he'd try his best and today I received THIS.

5AbeHerbaugh.jpg

I was right about the birdseye. With a little red/brown stain it looks like it was meant to be.

5AbeHerbaugh3.jpg

This is one of the many reasons why I enjoy working with artisan carvers; making a good thing GREAT.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Bigvan, you've got to send me a list of some American Artisan Carvers. I really feel like I have to support some of the American carvers instead of buying pipes from abroad.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Here you go, Steve...

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/north-american-pipe-makers

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
What a great looking blast. That was very good thinking on your part to get him to smooth it out. I like the look so much better. One more carver to keep an eye on.
Steve, I have changed my thinking as well and am now collecting our guys pipes. My last 6 have all been American carvers and honestly they all smoke awesome.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Awesome Bigvan. I'll go through that list tonight and try to find someone that catches my eye.
Cigrmaster, Is there a particular artisan that you're fond of?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Beautiful pipe,smoothing the rim was a definite improvement. Love that birdseye!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I saw this pipe earlier in your large pipe thread and that polished top caught my eye immediately. I didn't know the story until now, what perfect move on your part. Smashing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Steve, I love Rad Davis's pipes. I have 5 of them now and one more on the way that he is making for me. They smoke as good as any Former and better than any Reiner Barbi, Kurt Balleby, Peter Matzhold, high end Castello's I have ever smoked. They are the driest smoking pipes in my collection and I reach for them more than any other. I also have a Butera which is also great, but I put my Rad's a hair above even him. His attention to detail is phenomenal, his stems are incredibly comfortable. I will be branching out a little more in the future, but right now I am addicted to his pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.