PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I wouldn't be going unless I had a problem. I love drinking, but I've done some wierd stuff under the influence. I won't go into detail here, but I think this will be good for me and my dad. We've never discussed each other's drinking together, and I think we should. It will help mend the animosity we have for each other.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Good luck. When you take a whiz in the closet for the 3rd time it is time to seek help.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Guitarguy, I have been a greatful recovered alcoholic for about 6 years now. I go to AA meetings once or twice a week now. At first I resisted, but now I know they are a great support group. I pray you will find the same kindness, understanding and support that I found in the rooms of AA. Be sure to get a copy of the AA Big Book and READ it. You will find a world of truth in that book. I also suggest any concerned family member or friends read it also, they will learn much about the disease and perhaps find a new understanding of it. If you need any help or advice feel free to PM me. Your in the right place.
Keep'n the plug in the jug!

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Well my dad decided to go by himself this morning, because it's his first one since the move. Hopefully he lets me go next time.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I'm going to break anonymity and say that I'm a member of AA. I will have 6 years of sobriety on march 23rd. I think it is great that you are taking the initiative on your own instead of waiting until you got yourself into some real trouble. If I would not have found AA, I would probably be dead right now. Keep going, it can't hurt anything. Listen to what those people say and do what they do and you will have a much easier life. Well, that's my experience with it anyway :puffy:

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I got clean on July 9, 1987 (9,281 days, one-at-a-time). I haven't been to the rooms in several years, but some of my closest friends are from the rooms (and most still go to meetings) and, without a doubt, I'd be dead without them.
I don't believe in miracle, but don't leave until one happens.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
As I was growing up my father had a severe drinking problem.He managed to quit and didn't drink the last 30 years of his life.I know from that experience that alcohol is something some folks should avoid..I wish you and your father all the best.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
It takes great courage to admit one has a problem and then take the necessary steps to fix it. AA has helped many people. Wishing you and your dad best of luck.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
It makes me very happy to see a father and son trying to do this together. My father was an alcoholic for much of my young life and started AA after nearly dying when I was 16. He was sober for 5 years and those were the best 5 years of both of our lives. It paved the way for him doing what he truly wanted in life which was to help others. He became an EMT. Almost 2 years ago now he took a very bad call on a house explosion that killed several people including a few children.
This event really tore him up and he started drinking again behind everyones back (mouthwash). Within a year he went into multiple organ failure and passed away a month after he was newly married. It will be a year this friday since he passed and not a day goes by that I don't think of what I could have done to save him despite the fact that it was his decisions that ultimately led to his passing.
I realize this may be depressing or dark, but I can only hope that the good decisions you are making now can lead to the kind of relationship I was able to have with my dad when he was sober. You are doing the right thing and although things may be difficult and you may have bumps in the road stick with it. I wish you and your father the best. Stay strong brother!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
February 1st 1989. I didn't go to AA but I realized I had a problem. I couldn't stop at just one. I either fell asleep or passed out which is the same thing really. I had black outs. I'd wake up behind the wheel of my car and have no idea how I got there. I got pulled over several times but somehow talked my way out. Last time for me was when I hit a parked car at 3 in the morning. I never drove again in that state and soon after quit for good. I made no good decisions while drunk and it damaged my 1st marriage. Get ahold of the problem now today and it won't cost you like it has some. You're doing the right thing and you'll never regret it because it will open up a whole new world for you. God bless your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.