4 Fresh Henri Sorensen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 14, 2024
United States
I was there very recently, and your mileage may vary but...

If you're in the French Quarter and need a bathroom The Copper Monkey on Conti St. will let you use theirs at no charge, and drinks/food are cheaper there anyways. (This information was more useful than it might sound.)

The Mayan Import Company is the only spot for pipe products, it would seem. I went to both locations and found their tobacco selections to be very limited. The employees I encountered at each location were unusually curt, disdainful, incapable of general banter, very interested in monitoring me while I perused the shop but wholly uninterested in making any sales, and could most simply be summed up as "fucking dickheads." This was despite the fact I spent a few hundred dollars on product during my visit.

During this summer I've visited ten B&M's in four different states from the Southwest to the Southeast to the Midwest, and these guys offered by far the worst experiences. On the upside, the Metairie location had a decent selection of new pipes, and both locations had straight perique sourced directly from St. James Parrish and available in bulk for cheap.

Again, YMMV but I did my research before going and wish I had chosen instead to try my luck in Baton Rouge.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Long time ago wife and I went to Masperios, hope I spelled it tight, for a muffaloto, leaving for some reason we took a side street, passing a dumpster 3 guys started following us, told the wife keep walking, I fished out my Star PD and told them stop or ill shoot all 3 of you, they turned around and boogied out. That’s why you take the route that is not out of the way and carry.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row” Richmond Virginia USA
I was there very recently, and your mileage may vary but...

If you're in the French Quarter and need a bathroom The Copper Monkey on Conti St. will let you use theirs at no charge, and drinks/food are cheaper there anyways. (This information was more useful than it might sound.)

The Mayan Import Company is the only spot for pipe products, it would seem. I went to both locations and found their tobacco selections to be very limited. The employees I encountered at each location were unusually curt, disdainful, incapable of general banter, very interested in monitoring me while I perused the shop but wholly uninterested in making any sales, and could most simply be summed up as "fucking dickheads." This was despite the fact I spent a few hundred dollars on product during my visit.

During this summer I've visited ten B&M's in four different states from the Southwest to the Southeast to the Midwest, and these guys offered by far the worst experiences. On the upside, the Metairie location had a decent selection of new pipes, and both locations had straight perique sourced directly from St. James Parrish and available in bulk for cheap.

Again, YMMV but I did my research before going and wish I had chosen instead to try my luck in Baton Rouge.
If you find yourself in Baton Rouge
Habana Port, Don Juans and Churchill’s are fantastic

Reactions: The Novice Piper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Get out of the Quarter once you have seen it. It is filled with drunken tourists most nights who are not "locals", yet everyone thinks we are all crazy. That being said, it can be fun. Pat O's Piano bar is great. Be warned that the Hurricane Cocktail has 3 shots of Bacardi 151 in it. Probably not great for a work night. Same Houston lived upstairs from the Old Absinthe House after the Battle of San Jacinto (A bit of history knowledge there). Mayan Imports and Dos Jefes Cigar Bar are good places and if you get off work early you can walk the loop around Audabon Park and see a bit more of reality. You can ride the streetcar from Canal Street. There is no schedule. It just shows up whenever it wants to. Say hello to the ducks on Bird Island for me. Dinner at Jacques-Imo's would not be terrible either similar to a beer at St. Joe's bar or The Bulldog. You don't need to carry a gat. Just don't be a dumbass and wander out of the Quarter after dark. Most crime is gang on gang. If you want a taxi, you can call United Cabs and talk to a cigarette chain-smoking old lady that sounds like the Crypt Keeper and tell her your street corner and someone will show up to get you. If you land near to lunch time, stop by Crabby Jack's and get the shrimp creole. Best to get there before noon or after 1 or there is a line.
That is good advice!
We love Jacqu-Imos and I'd add:
Ye Olde College Station
And right behind it, for late night entertainment:
After hours, many famous musicians show up there to jam with locals

BayouGhost

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
That is good advice!
We love Jacqu-Imos and I'd add:
Ye Olde College Station
And right behind it, for late night entertainment:
After hours, many famous musicians show up there to jam with locals
RocknBowl is great. I saw Tab Benoit play there once and he brought the house down.

• Love
Reactions: PaulRVA

AreBee

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Get out of the Quarter once you have seen it. It is filled with drunken tourists most nights who are not "locals", yet everyone thinks we are all crazy. That being said, it can be fun. Pat O's Piano bar is great. Be warned that the Hurricane Cocktail has 3 shots of Bacardi 151 in it. Probably not great for a work night. Same Houston lived upstairs from the Old Absinthe House after the Battle of San Jacinto (A bit of history knowledge there). Mayan Imports and Dos Jefes Cigar Bar are good places and if you get off work early you can walk the loop around Audabon Park and see a bit more of reality. You can ride the streetcar from Canal Street. There is no schedule. It just shows up whenever it wants to. Say hello to the ducks on Bird Island for me. Dinner at Jacques-Imo's would not be terrible either similar to a beer at St. Joe's bar or The Bulldog. You don't need to carry a gat. Just don't be a dumbass and wander out of the Quarter after dark. Most crime is gang on gang. If you want a taxi, you can call United Cabs and talk to a cigarette chain-smoking old lady that sounds like the Crypt Keeper and tell her your street corner and someone will show up to get you. If you land near to lunch time, stop by Crabby Jack's and get the shrimp creole. Best to get there before noon or after 1 or there is a line.
This is awesome, thanks. I'm going to have one day completely to myself so I'm going to hit Metaire Mayan Imports. The Old Absinthe House intrigues me and open ay 9:00 AM!

Reactions: Chalaw87

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
RocknBowl is great. I saw Tab Benoit play there once and he brought the house down.
My daughter started working at the College Inn parttime when she first came to NOLA, then tutored the owners kids. We got to hear Sonny Landreth and Warren Haynes jamming one late night during Jazz Fest. Then, kids came along and she moved to the Northshore (we were now live) and that was it for the Rock & Bowl. I'm hoping, when we get settled to getting more familiar with the NOLA music scene again.