PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
This afternoon, I am sitting in my office, listening to some nice music, and enjoying some PS Luxury Navy Flake in celebration of my new (to me) tobacco storage bookcase. I've been looking for a barrister bookcase like this for almost as long as I've smoked a pipe (10+ years), and finally found this one yesterday on FB marketplace and drove out to pick it up this morning. The guy was nice enough to hold it for me for a day and I feel really lucky to have gotten it. I think it's absolutely beautiful - solid oak, too - and I love cabinet doors on the bottom half. I couldn't be happier and feel like it was well worth the wait!

I just wanted to share these pictures with you all, as I'm sure you'll appreciate it as much as I do. This is definitely a lifetime piece of furniture for me.

IMG_2874.jpegIMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2871.jpegIMG_2870.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpeg
    IMG_2868.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 65

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
What a great acquisition! While I had not thought of pipe/tobacco display, I have also wanted a barrister's cabinet for as long as I can remember. I recall my Uncle had one where he stashed a few Dr. Grabow's. It's probably where I started my fascination with pipes.

Reactions: Snook and JOHN72

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
solideogloria86:

I have one very similar to yours (only in a darker finish) that was a gift from my mother years ago, and which led to my now substantial and ever-growing library. There is simply nothing like an empty bookcase to engender a collection, be it books or pipe-tobacco :).

Reactions: Snook and JOHN72

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Very nice! This is just the sort of thing that adds culture/depth/solidity/richness to our enjoyment of pipes and pipe tobaccos.
It certainly does. Yesterday's smoke while I sat and admired this peace was one of the most enjoyable I've had in a long time. It really adds something to the hobby and the ritual of the smoke.
I have a very similar setup, and never knew what to call it. A local business owner was closing down and asked if I needed a bookcase. I said sure, he said I could have it, and then delivered it to me!
You lucky dog! That's pretty awesome. And really nice of him to deliver it to you, too!
What a great acquisition! While I had not thought of pipe/tobacco display, I have also wanted a barrister's cabinet for as long as I can remember. I recall my Uncle had one where he stashed a few Dr. Grabow's. It's probably where I started my fascination with pipes.
Hopefully you find one soon! I definitely recommend getting one. It's so much better than the closet shelves where my pipes were previously relegated.
Nice! I bet that thing weighs a ton.
I'm just glad it wasn't so heavy that my wife and I couldn't get it up the stairs! Haha.
Nice pipe knife on top of the cabinet. What is it? I want one.
Thank you! It's one of my most prized possessions. It's a Joseph Roger's pipe knife with buffalo horn inlay. I think I bought it in 2016 or so - I'm not sure if they're still making them. I checked a few sites for you and they're all out of stock. :(
Awesome man, well done and it looks both elegant and functional. I would hazard a guess and say that you quite like H&H!!
Haha! Yes, I've got some good memories with that blend, mainly a lot of hikes with my dog who passed away. I think I keep it more just to crack it open and smell it than to smoke it these days, though.
Absolutely beautiful cabinet! The painting almost looks like the area just outside Zion NP.
Thank you! The painting is from an artist local to Boise named Fred Choate. His work used to hang in the coffee shop I managed. I can't recall the name of the canyon that he said it was, but I know it was in the Owyhee range in Eastern Oregon. Very similar terrain to Zion, though!
I love the rooms decorated with hardwoods. Beautiful piece of furniture. It looks fantastic. A cozy place. Beautiful decoration in its entirety. Congratulations my friend.
Thanks so much, John!
Well done! Great score and beautiful piece of furniture! Nice room decor as well, you have great taste!
Thank you! The room is really coming together. :)
Hell yeah, brother!