PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
This is a very controversial subject...

It shouldn't be. Honestly, who really cares if there is/isn't latakia in Revor? I certainly don't. All I really care about is the flavor. Both are fine blends and I'm glad that your post allowed me discover something new and enjoyable.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It shouldn't be. Honestly, who really cares if there is/isn't latakia in Revor?

I agree, but it certainly has ruffled some feathers. Regardless, I'm absolutely stoked that you like the Lat Flake, man!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Oh great, as in OGS and its presumed perique

I was just thinking about that example. I think it's amazing how people taste what they list on the label and as it turns out, in this example, what was listed on the label was a mistake, after all these years!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've never tried either. I'll have to give them a go. They sound like they are right in my wheel house.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My sample of McC's Latakia Flake arrived from Hawky recently ... thank you, Dave!
Let's start by examining the constituent tobaccos:
Revor Plug: Stoved Flue Cured Virginia (Virginia Cavendish), Fire Cured Kentucky, casing / topping
McC's Latakia Flake: Stoved Flue Cured Virginia (Virginia Cavendish), Fire Cured Kentucky, Latakia (Cyprian?)
The main difference is the addition of the Latakia to McC's which is present in condiment amounts only. So, my preliminary conclusion is that the topping / casing used for Revor Plug must contain an essence similar to Cyprian Latakia. Well, it turns out that one can get their hands on food grade Mastic Tears and Mastic Oil ... one of the MAIN flavor terpines in Cyprian Latakia.
At first light, McC's is different enough that I could pick it out in a blind test but, by mid-bowl, the differences were fading quickly. The tangy Virginias, sweetened further by stoving, take the lead by just a small margin with the Dark Fired playing a strong second fiddle. The Latakia stays way in the back (except during the char light) and adds that incense / floral / creamy essence in small amounts just like in Revor Plug.
In conclusion, I agree with Dave that, if you like the flavor of Revor Plug, you will most likely appreciate McC's Latakia Flake as well. Also, for further studies and general fun, I've ordered some food grade Mastic Tears and Mastic Oil to use as a casing for my own Virginia Cav / DFK plug ... stay tuned! :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks a bunch for sharing your thoughts with us, Darin. I'm really looking forward to your lil experiment that you'll be brewing up! Good stuff!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'll have you all know that this stuff (Latakia Flake) ages very well. I got a 2013 tin from a trade recently and decided to open it today. Here is picture of the aged flakes. Delicious!!!

20161201_223452302_ios-600x450.jpg

Sjmiller CPG

(sjmiller)
May 8, 2015
Morgan County, Tennessee
Not a fan of Latakia myself but find this thread very interesting. I find the side by side comparisons very interesting especially since they are done by those familiar with Revor. An interesting thought came to mind while I was reading this and that was I wonder what JimInks would think after comparing the two blends.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
He'll tell ya that the VA's are grassy and taste of dark, stewed fruit and how the topping doesn't sublimate the natural tobacco flavors...
But really, he doesn't have a review of McConnell's Latakia FLake on TR so I assume he has not yet tried it. Imagine that!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I think it's amazing how people taste what they list on the label..."
I recently opened a tin of GL Pease Fillmore and was immediately hit by the stench of Latakia which quite understandably was tasted in the smoke also.
However Latakia is not listed as a component on the tin but it is most certainly in there as I asked Mr. Pease and he confirmed it, giving me a lame excuse for not mentioning it on the tin.
So some folks do indeed detect tastes that are not listed.
BTW Hawky, I'd be interested to hear your take on what defines a 'real plug' as you mentioned above.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I recently opened a tin of GL Pease Fillmore and was immediately hit by the stench brilliant, spicy, rich aroma of Latakia which quite understandably was tasted in the smoke also, thank Heavens!
Fixed it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
recently opened a tin of GL Pease Fillmore and was immediately hit by the stench of Latakia which quite understandably was tasted in the smoke also.
However Latakia is not listed as a component on the tin but it is most certainly in there as I asked Mr. Pease and he confirmed it, giving me a lame excuse for not mentioning it on the tin.
So some folks do indeed detect tastes that are not listed.
BTW Hawky, I'd be interested to hear your take on what defines a 'real plug' as you mentioned above.
Regards,
Jay.
Good stuff, man. That's one I still need to try. I'm guessing a lot of folks don't even taste the Latakia in Fillmore because it's not listed as an ingredient?
I don't want to get to caught up in what a "proper plug" is because it seems to be a very controversial subject and I'm no expert on the matter BUT, I think Warrior Plug, 3P's, Salty Dogs, Mick McQuaid and Condor Plug are all excellent examples of a "proper plug". Other American made plugs such as GL Pease's Jack Knife Plug and Triple Play are certainly on the right track and are essentially "proper plugs" but it doesn't seem that Cornell & Diehl have the proper machinery for the job as the plugs are not nearly as densely pressed as the ones I mentioned above. I think a lot of the trade secrets have gotten lost on the way over here to the States. Take all this with a grain of salt as it is only my opinion, I know of a lot of folks who disagree with me. Also, I'm not trying to trash talk GL Pease's plugs, I've heard they're wonderful and I have a bunch waiting to be cracked in my cellar.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I'm guessing a lot of folks don't even taste the Latakia in Fillmore because it's not listed as an ingredient?"
I really couldn't say but to me it was very noticeable indeed both on the nose and in the smoke.
"but it doesn't seem that Cornell & Diehl have the proper machinery for the job as the plugs are not nearly as densely pressed as the ones I mentioned above."
Thanks Hawky for your honest thoughts. I certainly wouldn't want to trash the two US plugs I have sampled, they were terrific but as you point out, they aren't as dense as proper plugs and I still find it bewildering that the US hasn't got the required equipment to make them.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm pretty bumfuzzled about that myself, Jay. I'm wondering if Pease might come on here one day and give us a little bit more insight on the subject.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I certainly wouldn't want to trash the two US plugs I have sampled, they were terrific but as you point out, they aren't as dense as proper plugs
I agree(for what it is worth)... :puffpipe:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I am perfectly able to make proper solid plugs here in my home though to do it on a commercial basis would incur astronomical costs using my method.
It would involve one press per single plug and at least two weeks pressing time per plug so understandably it would never work by my means.
I'm sure this could be massively improved upon but to make it financially viable would involve a huge investment.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.