PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I actually enjoyed this blend really a bridge blend between an aromatic and an English blend. It’s a shame it’s discontinued.

Reactions: BROBS

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
I liked shortcut but I have a friend that is crazy about it and guards his last bit he has left. Can't wait to tell him that Hunting Creek might remind him of it.

Reactions: agnosticpipe

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Not to reopen an old thread, but to reopen an old thread (and there sure as hell is little else to do being stuck at home because of C19), I have found that there are times when I want a milder, less in your face oriental. I mixed 1 part Tashkent with 1 part Oriental #40 with varying parts of Lane VBC. It adds a bit of sweetness without taking over the blend. I call it "Smaug's Lonely Mountain" because 1)Smaug had to have been a bit smoky breathing fire, and 2) he most definitely visited the oriental regions of the world and ate dwarfs who most likely smoked oriental tobaccos... Mostly I am using 1/3 Tashkent, 1/3 Oriental 40, and 1/3 VBC. It is odd how the soda flavor of the orientals seem to be enhanced in this blend. And it definitely smooths a bit of the early bowl rough edges out to a mellowness that is quite good.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Now that this thread popped up, aside from Bree coming to mind, there's a mushroom that was sometimes smoked by Indigenous people in Canada. Diamond willow fungus, Haploporus odorus. You can sometimes get it at places that sell native leather and beadworking supplies or sweet grass, etc. I suppose one could just google it. I have included it in pipe tobacco and its really worth the taste. No, it's not for any purpose other than making it taste cool, like woodsy anise.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Now that this thread popped up, aside from Bree coming to mind, there's a mushroom that was sometimes smoked by Indigenous people in Canada. Diamond willow fungus, Haploporus odorus. You can sometimes get it at places that sell native leather and beadworking supplies or sweet grass, etc. I suppose one could just google it. I have included it in pipe tobacco and its really worth the taste. No, it's not for any purpose other than making it taste cool, like woodsy anise.

Sadly, Haploporu odorus is also red-listed across the world except for Canada where it is protected as rare.

But "
Conservation Actions
In Canada, the traditional uses of the dried fruiting bodies by First Nations is acknowledged, and habitat of “diamond willow trees” is preserved and designated as sensitive. Most recently, sensitive diamond willow habitats identified by First Nations communities during consultation processes resulted in rerouting of a TransCanada natural gas pipeline near Chetwynd, BC, by use of a road bore, running it underneath the stand rather than cutting it down. A description of this process is available at: TC Energy — Stories - http://blog.transcanada.com/pipeline-project-protects-diamond-willow-fungus/. At this time the fungus is not being commercially exploited for its medicinal or traditional uses, but as it is easily cultured, it could be potentially produced via artificial inoculation of suitable host substrate, thus avoiding the need for wild harvesting."

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mikefu, the idea of something psychoactive to the Bossa Nova beat makes me mighty queasy. I always thought my mind was fairly psychedelic cold sober. As some readers of my posts may agree.
you never know. There is no proof that someone hasn't been spiking your morning coffee. Could be all the talk about mushrooms, but I have a theory about how some of us turned out the way we are. And it involves wives putting some type of powder in our coffees. Why would they do that, for entertainment obviously.

Jan 27, 2020
I have to appreciate it on name alone... I recall some snuff reviewer claiming he had some psychoactive response to a popular Photo6 snuff.

uprightman

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2019
Central Pennsylvania
It’s discontinued.. I’ve heard it’s good, and I’ve heard it contains real genuine mushrooms. I like Tolkien-inspired anything (on principle, not that it necessarily tastes good).

I recently went to a cigar bar in SC and one of the proprietors started talking pipes with me. Long story short, he generously gave me a little baggy of 4-5 bowls worth of shortcut to mushrooms.

So... what’s the hype, is it really that good? I’m still on the road, won’t get a chance to smoke some for at least a week.

I had purchased some several years ago when it was readily available. I remember I purchased more and finished that too. I quite enjoyed it. I seem to recall it occupied a sort of sweet English or crossover English kind of space.

Jun 23, 2019
Having more shortcut to mushrooms than Penzance...I tried a mix of the 2. Had the sweet mellowness of the Penzance and a base of shortcut...all in all ....it turned out to be a pretty good mix.

Maybe it's the slight dip in temperatures over here but I'm really enjoying mixing Shortcut to Mushrooms with a stronger Va/Per right now. I'm switching between SG's St James Flakes and C&D's XX Dark Flake; but reading your post now I might have to try it with some Penzance.

- - -

Okay but please don't tell me Purple Cow doesn't have real cow in it because that would end me.

Wait... What about Exhausted Rooster? ?

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Maybe it's the slight dip in temperatures over here but I'm really enjoying mixing Shortcut to Mushrooms with a stronger Va/Per right now. I'm switching between SG's St James Flakes and C&D's XX Dark Flake; but reading your post now I might have to try it with some Penzance.

- - -

Wait... What about Exhausted Rooster? ?
That state of exhaustion clearly signaled its demise. Tobacco blenders abhor weakness, and will always do to the death any creature that exhibits it.

Reactions: lukasstrifeson
Status
Not open for further replies.