PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
It’s discontinued.. I’ve heard it’s good, and I’ve heard it contains real genuine mushrooms. I like Tolkien-inspired anything (on principle, not that it necessarily tastes good).

I recently went to a cigar bar in SC and one of the proprietors started talking pipes with me. Long story short, he generously gave me a little baggy of 4-5 bowls worth of shortcut to mushrooms.

So... what’s the hype, is it really that good? I’m still on the road, won’t get a chance to smoke some for at least a week.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
It’s discontinued.. I’ve heard it’s good, and I’ve heard it contains real genuine mushrooms. I like Tolkien-inspired anything (on principle, not that it necessarily tastes good).

I recently went to a cigar bar in SC and one of the proprietors started talking pipes with me. Long story short, he generously gave me a little baggy of 4-5 bowls worth of shortcut to mushrooms.

So... what’s the hype, is it really that good? I’m still on the road, won’t get a chance to smoke some for at least a week.
If someone i didnt know very well gave me some tobacco that they said had mushrooms in it, i would go to a calm safe space to smoke it, have a phone handy for emergency calls and cross my fingers that it was the right kind of mushrooms.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
If someone i didnt know very well gave me some tobacco that they said had mushrooms in it, i would go to a calm safe space to smoke it, have a phone handy for emergency calls and cross my fingers that it was the right kind of mushrooms.
And be sure to stay hydrated and don’t hyperventilate, maybe put on some soft Bossa Nova and wait it out.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
To give you a serious answer, I bought about 100grams when it was still in stock. I have only smoked it a few times. Its a nice creamy smoke with vanilla and Latakia, and a cream of mushroom sorta flavour. I didn't enjoy it as much last time I smoked it, but I may have dried it a bit too much perhaps.

Reactions: mau1

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
If you call they'll recommend the new Bombadil as a close next. Not the same, clearly, but it's their recommendation as a ballpark.

Reactions: rushx9

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Its a nice creamy smoke with vanilla and Latakia
That sums it up pretty well. I think it's at least 50% McClelland 5100 Red Cake but the vanilla and latakia steal the show. I love it. It was the blend that got me excited about pipe smoking in the beginning and the first pound of bulk I ever bought. It remains among my all time favorite comfort smokes to this day.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
If you want to make your own match blend, equal parts Sutliff 515 and Lane 1Q or some similar vanilla Cavendish, then add 10% or so blending Latakia. HGL or Sutliff Aromatic English will get you most of the way there but adding some 515RC-1 gets you a lot closer. Really tastes shroomy... or at least like funky wet composting soil!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Haha you guys do not disappoint! Well I’m excited to try it now, with or without the shrooms. Though it doesn’t smell like much, to be honest. I don’t typically smoke majority cavendish blends at all... but I’ll have to make an exception for this one.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
If you want to make your own match blend, equal parts Sutliff 515 and Lane 1Q or some similar vanilla Cavendish, then add 10% or so blending Latakia. HGL or Sutliff Aromatic English will get you most of the way there but adding some 515RC-1 gets you a lot closer. Really tastes shroomy... or at least like funky wet composting soil!
How much RC-1 to Sutliff Aromatic English?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've been smoking Shortcut to Mushrooms for quite a few years, but I have also been smoking another JFH blend called Whiskey Biscuit Gravy which is very similar. WBG is now one of my go to blends that I smoke quite a bit. I'm also quite a fan of Hunting Creek from The Country Squire as it's the same type of blend, so I'm not missing Shortcut to Mushrooms very much. Give these other blends a try and see what you think.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
mikefu, the idea of something psychoactive to the Bossa Nova beat makes me mighty queasy. I always thought my mind was fairly psychedelic cold sober. As some readers of my posts may agree.
I could see that, I suppose. I always think Bossa Nova is about the most mellow of all popular musics, and since I don’t speak Portuguese, that the mind would be safe from linguistically suggestive interference, but some of the instrumentation and vocals could conceivably create some weird alien/India Jones and the temple of Doom associations, I suppose. I’ll keep that in my when I next crack open a jar of Shortcut to Mushrooms.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
mikefu, the idea of something psychoactive to the Bossa Nova beat makes me mighty queasy. I always thought my mind was fairly psychedelic cold sober. As some readers of my posts may agree.
I figured you were always on a menial sid dose ?

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.