A Real Honest To Gosh Snob, But Proud Of It!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've seen plenty of posts about "Pipe Snobs" or just snobs in general, and I may well be one. It depends on how you read and take this. I'm mainly writing this for the young guys, and that the older fellas take this at face value is my wish. I'm taking a risk here with people misunderstanding, but I'm leaping anyway.

I'm 58 years old and have been retired since '06, enjoying life and doing all the things I always wanted to do... well, the ones I still feel like doing anyway.... I got here through frugal money management and good investments. (Every time I see one of our young fellas say that the $30 pipe is out of his price range, it warms my heart because he has a budget!)

I didn't inherit money, my parents lived from payday to payday and spent every penny they ever got hold of. I watched and learned.

I have to commend the frugal smoker for holding back, because you know as I do how hard it is not to run those credit cards up to the max, or spend next weeks grocery money on a new brier. Read about and learn investment strategies, and start saving early. You may feel like I'm just 22 and have plenty of time, but that's the perfect way to set yourself for never getting there. Start with $5 a week and increase often and on schedule. In three months make it $7. Set goals..... (Watch Clark Howard on HLN, lots of good advice).

June and I married in '72 and we didn't have a cent. But I think nothing about dropping $500 - $800 on a pipe now, and do it often. Ya, I may be a snob.... But I worked hard to get here.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Good advice TopD.

My dad grew up during the depression and seen things different then people do today.

If it could be stiched up or patched it was still good and useable.

His car he always told me it was cheeper to fix it than buy a new one for the most part.

he drove a old pickup till it became a hazard as he said may not be pretty but it does the job.

One guy he grew up with took it a step futher we would see him in the store with mismatched shoes he find one on the street that was good he would keep it till he found a shoe for the oppiset foot. He would pick up pop bottles and take them in for the dime he got for it picked up cans and recycle them bought cloths at yardsales and good will. when Joe retired dad and me went with Joe to buy a car the sales man ran him off because he looked poor Joe walked out of the dealership and went to the one across the street and bought a new caddy and paid cash. Went back to the other dealership and showed the salesman his new car and said I paid cash think about what you just lost out on. lol Anyway this guy between working and all the stuff he did that people today think they are above of doing or what ever with intrest ect when he retired he saved alittle over 2 million bucks for retirement.

and enjoyed life. I applaued you for what you have done and what you can afford to buy now through saving and hard work and disaplin.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Been settin' here twiltling my thumbs to see how my post was taken.... I'm so pleased, and to get a little pat on the back from the site owner is a plus. "Thanks Kevin!"
I have to reiterate though how strongly I feel about saving and investing.

You guys have taken the time to read so diligently how to care for and smoke a pipe.... you can take the time and energy to read about investing and good ways to live long and comfortably on your own..... You don't need a broker... don't pay anyone to do it for you, they get all the profits! You can do it on-line all by yourself! I don't have a collage education or degree.... But I read the English language well. That, and a willingness to succeed is all you need!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I'm right in your rear view mirror, guys. I'm frugal and don't make much but I'm on the verge of being debt free because I prioritize what I do spend. I also don't feel the need to have a big house or fancy car so keeping up with the Joneses isn't even something I'll spend a penny on. If I do buy something nice when I'm finally out of the woods what people call me will be last on my list of stuff to care about. Although if TopD would send me just half of his Meer collection it would be really cool.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Watched my dad come from nothing to very well off , all done through sweat. Retired out of the marines, drove truck cross country, then later buying land and building houses selling it, buying more land building more houses. He drinks some of the finest wine, and smokes very expensive cigars. If you ask him why he says because he earned it. If he is labeled as a snob he earned that also. The point is to find joy in something. To many people are miserable and it has nothing to do with the amount in their bank accounts.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
+1 TopD Well stated and I'm right there with you.
Wife and I did it on our own without any help from anyone and we feel if we can do it, anyone can........ :mrgreen:....
I always told my kids and employees, when you get any type of raise, invest or save 50% of and it and enjoy the other half. By doing that, I learned within just a few years, I reached the maximum in allowable contributions/savings and the money only grows from there. That way, you still get a raise and never miss the other 50% because you never had it in the first place.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Sorry TopD... I don't consider you a snob, a smart man who is smart with his money...Yes. I don't consider someone a snob because they have nice pipes and smoke the best tobaccos. A snob is when they shove it in your face and explain what they have is much better than what you have and try to make you feel less than. A snob in my opinion is a effing jerk. You Sir, are not a snob. :puffy:

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I consider my self one of the young guys you're talking too. Believe me your words haven't fallen on deaf...eyes...I framed houses for 14 yrs, there's no 401k or anything there. I saw the 80yr old men who had done it too long but couldn't quit no matter how they wanted too because they had nothing. I started a "retirement plan" years ago and at 35 I now work for a large company and put into there plan, I'm about as debt free as I can see fit, ie..I don't live on credit ..two financed trucks, both paid for in about a year, and a house payment is it. Everything else is paid for, learned a hard lesson young, my kids now understand I think why I'm this way. Don't use gas card, Lowes & Sears & all other accts paid in full every month. I was actually just discussing my possible plans for retirement with a member here. Am I doing it right? Hell if I know. But if I want something expensive I have to save for it..simple. I'm not gonna pay interest on a pipe, a couple ounces of baccy, or a gallon of gas. Are other people wrong for doing it that way? Hell if I know. One thing I do know tho is I'm not a sheep. :mrgreen:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I have to say Good For You baron, dave, dervis, bigmaike, barker, yohanan and Chris.... I don't always do it right... I pay my monthly bills with a Discover card and pay it off to zero each month. After so many points I get $50 to deposit in June's Roth account. (about every other month) But last month I forgot and had to pay a $25 late fee... First one in years, Just Chaps My Ass!!!!! Haven't bounced a check or payed a late fee in years lol But this one snuck up on me while I wasn't paying attention at the lake. You have to be consistent and pay attention... I use Quicken on my laptop with reminders and alarms. But they don't work if you don't open the computer.

For the Kids (and I say kids meaning 17 to 35 year olds or so) I have some advice..... and I am no adviser and know nothing really... but here are some basic guidelines that work for me....

Invest in mutual funds, not actual stocks...

Research yourself, don't hire an adviser... (You'll pay them your gains)

Buy and hold.... Don't sell when things are bad, buy more when stocks are down for less...

Buy consistently and on schedule, no matter what...

Put money in a savings account. It won't make money, but it's there for you if you NEED it...

Buy a new pipe every other month, a drugstore pipe will do...

Tell your wife everything will be fine in the long run...

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I had the rags to riches story as my father so I learned early. Never owned a credit card. Always bought lightly used cars with cash. Only monthly payment is my house (at 27 dont figure thats to shabby). Now had 5 year stretch I lived off ramen and ground "meat" but with 3 jobs no time to eat anyway. But now sitting pretty. People looked at me crazy since as I posted ealier my dad is very well off. The point was it was HIS money and he would have given me if I asked for a legit reason. I didnt want HIS money I wanted my own, now he and I can snob it up together and happy to do so.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well mate, a snob is not someone who enjoys the good things in life. A snob is someone who looks down on others for not being able to afford the good things in life. Big diff. there. Just because you enjoy expensive things don't make one a snob. I do not believe I have ever seen you put anyone on this forum down because of their choice in baccy or pipes, etc. Enjoy your retirement, and remember mate, you can't take it with you. (Actually you can. When I am cremated, I will have a check for the entire amount of my worth burned with me)

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
HaHaa fisher.... I'll write that check too. But June will make sure the check number is canceled... Damn, I taught her a thing or two also over the years

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I'm awful with money. But I'm working on it! Once the credit cards and car are paid off it's all about putting that money away. I don't have any clue how we'll invest it, but we'll cross the bridge when we get there. In the meantime, I have one more pipe coming from the 'Bay and that will complete my rotation and I'm not buying any more (I hope).

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I worked for exxon for 32.5 yard, never bought a new car, bought Exxon stock and held, my daughter said Dad why don"t you have a new truck like all those Exxon men, I told her you and your 2 brothers are my new truck, retired with over a million dollars, that was in 98, invested with a financial planner and in 2000 it had grown to 2 million, then the market started going down, didn"t realize he had us in some very risky stuff, stash went down to 300,000$ I was retired, bought a truck and started hotshotting for oil field companies, meanwhile 32 of us Exxon people were in the same boat, we filed suit with the biggest law firm in new Orleans, 3 years later we won our abrotration, we won a record 22 million with 6 million for lawyers fees, the arbrators said they gave us the lawyers fees because we were so grievesaly hurt, it took 3 yrs, 3 people died, 6 months after getting our money my good friend who was in the suit died of cancerI got 75% of my money back, it was a long hard road, listen to Top D, no one will do with your money like you will, financial planners are sharks in a suit, when you retire if you take more than 5% of your lump a year you will run out of money the old cajun

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I agree Top D! I am approaching middle age and fortunately were groomed by money-concious parents from the depression era. It was pounded into my brain to never let my credit card (when I finally got one, which is much later than youth today) run into the next month. Pay off all debts and don't let interest build. Of course big purchases later in life (car, house, etc) don't fall into that category but by then I had a good head on my shoulders and was fortunate to marry a woman with similar money habits. We have been slowly building our nest egg and hope to get rid of our debts early.

Many of my friends growing up moved into their own apartments too early, and have never gotten clear of their debts from rent and living out of their means. I was lucky and smart enough to not get caught up in that.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Don't have a credit card. Paid for school with student loans and a job. I'm ready to have a job and be debt free. I'm not terribly good at saving but I made sure to find a good girl to put me in line. As long as I find employment soon I should be debt free in 5 years.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
My wife and I have made many mistake in our financial life; however, about five years ago I realized that it is never to late to start doing the right thing. We are still a handful of years away from being free and clear of the consequences of our past, but we are making good progress. I finally have a truck and car that are mine, and only mine. I have a good job and the retirement is looking promising.
Our big plan when we are finished with raising our kids and working is to travel the country and regularly visit NASCAR races. At this point, 41 years old, this is a very reasonable possibility. The great thing is that we are looking at putting even more away for our latter years.
I say this mostly to remind others that it is not to late to make amends for poor choices. Find a dream and work your ass of to attain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.