PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I smoke 5 to 8 large hand Rolled Cigars a week. I like mild to medium cigars at least 6x50 and larger. I love smoking cigars when I'm out and about and on my long daily commute. I smoke my pipe at home and to most of the world I'm a Cigar Smoker and they don't have any idea about the pipe collection! 8O

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Since early in 2012 I’ve had about 3 cigars a year. For 15 years before that I averaged 1 per day.

I’m still sitting on a few boxes of favorites, it’s just hard to let them go. For me the go-to cigar was a Punch SS #2.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When I smoked more cigars, I preferred Dominicans. When I could get Cubans, on travel status in Canada, I still preferred Dominicans, though perhaps it was because I had a wider choice of them. But I wasn't fussy. Sometimes a newsstand cigar (not premium) tastes pretty good.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Good cigars are prohibitively expensive in the UK. Well, as far as I'm concerned anyway and when I was in Cuba nearly 10 years ago I found I had expensive taste in them so this means I rarely smoke them. I may burn 4 a year. If I were a wealthier chap I would almost certainly smoke more but I would still be a pipe man primarily. I'm sure of that.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I keep a dozen or so stocked in a mason jar.
During the summer one every two weeks or so, while grilling or drinking. I like the short 60 gauge.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I like cigars but only smoke them due to cost. $5 is my minimum buy while 50 cents gets me a bowl of pipe tobacco.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I range from 2-3 a week to 1 every few months. I used to smoke at least 1 a day but enjoy a pipe much more nowadays. I still have a small collection in my humidor but it pales in comparison to my pipe tobacco cellar now :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I keep a small humidor with 25-30 cigars in it and I smoke maybe 40 per year, mostly in the summer, they seem to taste better with the summer heat.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
For the last 7 years, I would smoke 1-2 a month, before that 1 every other day through college and a little after (before kids). After starting pipes 6 months ago I've smoked 1 or two.
Kudos to the Oliva Maduros (Serie V), one of my favorite cigars. Those and Padrons were always my favorites.
And might I also say some of y'all have a lot of extra time, or awesome jobs, that you have time to smoke so much! Very jealous!

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There is one cigar that I would smoke on a regular basis if I could get them. That cigar is the Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Lanceros.
Im a Cameroon connoisseur.. and thats one Ive never been able to get a hold of. Many of the Don Carlos line are the measuring sticks for me. Just last week I had one of the recently released Eye of the Sharks.. I would have completely missed out but the owner of the store knows I love them and saved one for me. Woof.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Interesting to see how many cigar smokers there are. For me, it's not much different than a pipe in that I don't inhale, so I never feel guilty with one. I tend to get some nice flavour out of the cigars I smoke, but I'm down to pretty much one brand. There's just something about Bolivar (Cuba) that I love. It starts out so different from where it ends that I feel like I get 2-3 cigars in one. In Brazil, they make a good cigar called Dona Flor (Selecao) that is worth a try. I think it is available in the U.S. for a reasonable price and it was designed by a very, very famous Cuban who helped put them on the map.
I usually pick up Bolivars in Germany, because outside of Cuba, they are less expensive there than anywhere else I visit. Some EU countries seem to charge a fortune, and I can't understand why Germans get them so cheap?
I only get in one or two a month. One a day in Brazil if my pipe tobacco hits a snag at the border.
There is a very good cigar store in Victoria, B.C. Canada. It's on Fort street. The guy there stocks some interesting cigars, and he specializes in rarities. Unfortunately, you have to spend in Canadian prices, which tacks on an extra few hundred a box. I once bought the Russian edition of Bolivar -they make special cigars for select countries- and it laid me out. Seemed like it was about a foot and a half long and I couldn't help feeling like it was marketed to gangsters or oligarchs. I am neither, especially by cigar standards.
I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was somewhere around double the usual price for a cigar, maybe a bit more. In Canada, it was a one off for me. Also bought the Brazilian edition when I was in Brazil (at a hugely inflated price, but just to try), and honestly, I think their humidor was a bit off and I didn't enjoy it. Bought from a well known tobacconist there. Meh. Maybe it was how it was supposed to be, but it didn't have the same flavour.
But, the point here is that if anyone here likes full flavoured pipe tobacco with a bit of spice, if you can get your hands on a Bolivar, I think you will find it money well spent. The Royal Corona is their flagship, but the tubos #1 is pretty solid. It has an interesting flavour, especially picking up around the last third. Beware of counterfeits though. In Germany, I think it is very rare and you can always check the barcode online if you buy a whole box. But elsewhere, I'd be careful who you buy from.
Cigrmaster- I'm guessing you have tried the Royal Corona. Didn't you find it to have a whack of flavour that kept changing? For me, it consistently delivers a pretty unique smoke in that way.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I smoke one per year, on average. I have a friend who always comes up with a Romeo y Julieta or two from Cuba or sometimes a La Gloria and if he offers, I accept! But I really don’t enjoy them like I enjoy a pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I visit local cigar lounge once (sometimes twice) in a month and smoke one there alone if not with a friend. I also smoke 1-2 cigars per week (usually on the weekends) at home if there is nobody around. I smoke more in summer than winter as some of you guys have mentioned above.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Only three or four a year for me, but they're usually these Cubans
win_20151104_213333-600x337.jpg

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Daily. I enjoy both and find it is easier to smoke a cigar on my walks than a pipe. I enjoy a pipe when I can sit down.

Status
Not open for further replies.