PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I've stopped buying pipe materials on eBay. I find if you wait for sales at the big online pipe and tobacco retailers, you can get new pipes for the same or cheaper prices than used ones on eBay. Seems to me that a lot of people like to charge insanely high amounts for shipping to make up for lower prices on the actual thing they are selling. It's a bit of a scam.

Reactions: scloyd and jpmcwjr

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You can buy on eBay safely and confidently if you take time to check the seller out. With pipes you have to deal with people are strictly legit. eBay does not have a ring of people out there running up bids so that they make more money. Their management has no desire to be carted off to jail.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
You can buy on eBay safely and confidently if you take time to check the seller out. With pipes you have to deal with people are strictly legit. eBay does not have a ring of people out there running up bids so that they make more money. Their management has no desire to be carted off to jail.
EBay doesn’t but sellers do! And EBay is complicit by do nothing about those sellers. Ditto, how they handle scammers and thieves. As long as they get a cut, they could care less.

bbqpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 27, 2019
Arizona
I don't sell much on Ebay but do have 4 items up now. I have never had retraction on anything I have sold.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
When I suspect shill bidding, I’ll retract my bid. And more often than not, EBay tries to get me to retract my retraction?
(Of course I’ve other problems with EBay too; Caught a loser trying to post MY graded Hockey card, a 1 of 1, who just copy and pasted MY auction.... they refused to take down the bogus listing until my lawyer threatened legal action. Why they wouldn’t protect buyers in that situation is beyond my comprehension).
Well it could just as easily had someone say that about your account. I am sure people selling similar things have done that before. Making false accusations against another seller. I know that's not what you were doing and all that but I am just trying to imagine what their end of the situation would be and what kind of things they field.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I bet what happens is some jack asses make multiple bids on similarish items then retract the less favorable wins. That is what seems like the most plausible thing in my opinion. Someone sees several pipes they like and makes a couple bids with the intention of only buying the most favorable ones. Sounds way more likely then ebay trying to squeeze more out of something in a way that's going to lose them more sales. Which of those adds up to the shady person getting what they want and getting the most benefit?

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Well it could just as easily had someone say that about your account. I am sure people selling similar things have done that before. Making false accusations against another seller. I know that's not what you were doing and all that but I am just trying to imagine what their end of the situation would be and what kind of things they field.
If you’re at all familiar with trading cards... specifically 1 of 1’s; and the fact that MY listing was posted first, AND their ad was just a copy and paste of MY listing, then the plausibility of ME copying THEIR bogus listing is nil.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
If you’re at all familiar with trading cards... specifically 1 of 1’s; and the fact that MY listing was posted first, AND their ad was just a copy and paste of MY listing, then the plausibility of ME copying THEIR bogus listing is nil.
how specialized is that? I mean do you have to specifically be into cards to know what you're actually saying or should more people understand what you're getting at specifically. I mean I think I know what you're saying but I just can't really be sure who would be informed on this well enough to take the word of a random person (who we are to most of the world). I mean it's lame no matter how you cut it, but how lame that's what I am not sure of if that makes sense.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Rob Cooper cut me off after 2 rescinded bids when I first found eBay years ago. Like Bob says, I was an newly christianed eBay idiot that overbid a couple times and that was all Mr. Cooper could take…and he was right. ?
I had to watch awesome pipes pass me by weekly for years. ? I even messaged him trying to apologize for my transgression in screwing up his auction begging him to let me back in. ?‍♂️ He never did…and he was right not too. Later, I’d heard he had some health issues. I do wish him all the best.
What I did quickly learn was not to bid unless I really wanted an item. This lesson has served me well. Thanks Mr. Cooper wherever you are. ? ☕

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I would Never retract a bid, because a man’s word is his word.
I didn’t even know you Could retract a bid on ebay.

That’s very suspicious activity that the OP described

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I would Never retract a bid, because a man’s word is his word.
I didn’t even know you Could retract a bid on ebay.

That’s very suspicious activity that the OP described
the only ways I'd do that is if the bid came from the cat sitting on the keyboard or all my money disappeared somehow. Even the first one would have to be crazy then again I only bid low amounts and rarely bother.

Reactions: Ag®o and 5star

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Ive placed bids in a fit of irrationality that I immediately regretted. I hoped someone would come along and outbid me. Usually they didn’t (because no one else had been that dumb).
I paid immediately on close of the auction & chalked it up to a lesson learned.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
A bidder places a bid high enough to take the lead. Now he knows what the high bid WAS before he bid. He retracts his bid and decides later if he really wants to bid high enough to win.

I suspect this happens more often now because ebay allows it to. There used to be a pretty stiff penalty for retracting bids - now there apparently is not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't use eBay, but if people don't pay up what they bid, it kills the whole auction concept. Better just offer at a set price, take it or leave it. An auction is supposed to bring the seller a higher price than just naming a price. Retractions remove the incentive of working with an auction.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Yes, and any legitimate auction house will not retract bids unless you call them and explain your reason.
Legitimate auction houses won’t sell fake/forged goods either.
Legitimate auction houses don’t allow shill bidders.
Legitimate auction houses won’t allow SELLERS to bid up THEIR OWN goods.
EBay is anything but legitimate

Reactions: Donb1972