PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
I am always amazed at scams people pull. Like beating sale limits with multiple email addresses. I'm just not wired that way.

Of course, people are scandalous and I should know better, but still get suprised.

While money stacks and a few coins add up, I fail to see the big gains with fake Ebay bidding based on a cost-benefit analysis based on what I would presume to be a lot of invested time to get great gain.
You should see the scams in trading cards. Well known Canadian seller was forging Upper Deck the Cup hockey cards. The Cup are the ultra high end cards. A tin of 5 cards runs you around $350. Some cards fetch tens of thousands. This particular seller was replacing full one color Jersey swatches imbedded in the cards, with multi-colored replacement patches, driving up the price by 5,6, sometimes 20 times the value. A swatch displaying the Blackhawks Indian head will fetch significantly more than a drab white jersey patch. Thing is; UD has a master sheet of the patches each numbered card has. So you can easily see when a patch has been replaced.
But the forging (for lack of better term) resulted in HIGE financial gains. Not to mention the multiple shill bids driving the price up further. He’s getting $800 instead of $350 on his shill bid ups. He’s got several hundred auctions at a time, do the math.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
No mystery or surprise to all this. If there is money involved in something, there are alway crooks looking to exploit it. puffy