PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SaxonX

Might Stick Around
Sep 20, 2021
Staffordshire Moorlands GB
Title edited for caps. Rule 9! jpm

I walked into a bar the other day.......anyway I got talking to a chap who was a long time ex pipe smoker.....in over thirty years of piping he only ever had one pipe at a time!

I guess most on here have a bit pipe acquisition disorder but is there anyone on the forum who follows this practice?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have to daily check in on a gentleman, RIP, who was a one pipe, one tobacco guy. But, I'd rather have variety in my life.

We get some that think it's more macho to say that they only have one pipe, one tobacco, just a tool. They also think it's some sort of badge of honor to only have one shirt, one pair of pants, and one pair of underwear. YMMV puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I've retold many times, my dad smoked from age 15 to 65 and only owned one pipe at a time. He might have had one other burnt out pipe as a back-up, but it was essentially one pipe at a time. Those were the days when you could get standard grade tobacco pipes at the newsstands in big cities. He smoked pretty much from just after breakfast to bedtime.

Children don't have a great sense of time, so I can't be sure, but it seemed most of his pipes lasted about a year. Also, he smoked only Granger from the foil pouch. On the rare occasion when someone gifted him with a tub of Granger, he'd fill old foil pouches from the tub.

He quit pipe smoking, and all smoking, when he turned 65 to take a job at a non-smoking campus to run their computer lab. He lived well into his 89th year licensed to drive without glasses.

As a naval officer during WW II, he served on minesweepers in the Philippines and was eventually the skipper of a 'sweep. He took his pipe to sea, smoking when the smoking lamp was lit.

Later I served as an enlisted radioman on a minesweeper during the Vietnam War, and I joked with him that we were a minesweeping dynasty. He served on, and skippered, the old YMS ships, and I served aboard the USS Gallant MSO 489.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
As I've retold many times, my dad smoked from age 15 to 65 and only owned one pipe at a time. He might have had one other burnt out pipe as a back-up, but it was essentially one pipe at a time. Those were the days when you could get standard grade tobacco pipes at the newsstands in big cities. He smoked pretty much from just after breakfast to bedtime.

Children don't have a great sense of time, so I can't be sure, but it seemed most of his pipes lasted about a year. Also, he smoked only Granger from the foil pouch. On the rare occasion when someone gifted him with a tub of Granger, he'd fill old foil pouches from the tub.

He quit pipe smoking, and all smoking, when he turned 65 to take a job at a non-smoking campus to run their computer lab. He lived well into his 89th year licensed to drive without glasses.

As a naval officer during WW II, he served on minesweepers in the Philippines and was eventually the skipper of a 'sweep. He took his pipe to sea, smoking when the smoking lamp was lit.

Later I served as an enlisted radioman on a minesweeper during the Vietnam War, and I joked with him that we were a minesweeping dynasty. He served on, and skippered, the old YMS ships, and I served aboard the USS Gallant MSO 489.
Ah! I always wondered about your username. Mystery solved.